shape
carat
color
clarity

Aglaia Question and super-ideal cut follow on

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

krroller

Rough_Rock
I am in the market to upgrade my wife's wedding ring? I'm replacing a 1 ct, VS2, G, ideal cut diamond, for a larger stone with better quality; and am looking for something about 1.5 ct with a budget of 13-14K for the diamond. I had previously targeted something like an Ideal Cut, VS1-VS2, F color. This was before I got educated on the "newer" super ideal cut Hearts and Arrows diamonds.

So, here is the first question: My local jeweler has in stock an Aglaia diamond. The cert indicates VS2, H color and 1.61 ct. The asking price is $11.7K. Unfortunately, the certification is EGL rather than AGS or GIA. What are the experts thoughts on this relative to overall quality and price. Is there additional info that is needed to help provide more definitive feedback.

The follow up question: Given the price and quality I am looking for in a round brilliant, are there any suggestion, comments from the experts on what we should be looking for. Should I be considering an eightstar diamond?

Thanks,
Keith

Caratz

Shiny_Rock
You asked quite a few questions . . .

Eightstar? I have not seen one yet. I understand that most people prefer these to H&A stones, but they reportedly have a different appearance with more white light and less fire. You will need to see one for yourself before you decide.

VS1-VS2. I'd stay where you are already at on clarity (at VS-2) and get a slightly larger stone or better color grade. Why go up to VS1? You won't be able to see the difference.

EGL vs AGS/GIA. I would be very hesitant to buy an EGL stone without some sort of independent verification of the grading.

You will be able to get a fantastic stone for $13-14K. Please post what you end up selecting!

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
You will likely see more fire-bigger bolder flashes-in an 8*. You can check out their website, www.eightstar.com and ask for the dealer nearest you. Then you can decide what you like. It really is beneficial to see a variety of cuts in person to have a basis for comparison and assured decision-making.

krroller

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback, Caratz.

Unfortunately, there are no 8* dealers in my area. I am currently trading emails with Richard von Sternberg (the head of 8*) to see if he can help me out in any way.

Is there any one out there who has seen and can provide info on how an 8* compares with other super-ideal cut/H&A diamonds.

I take your point on the VS-2 vs VS-1 since the naked eye can't really see any difference.

Thanks,
Keith

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 6/4/2002 7:46:00 PM

Thanks for the feedback, Caratz.

Unfortunately, there are no 8* dealers in my area. I am currently trading emails with Richard von Sternberg (the head of 8*) to see if he can help me out in any way.

Is there any one out there who has seen and can provide info on how an 8* compares with other super-ideal cut/H&A diamonds.

I take your point on the VS-2 vs VS-1 since the naked eye can't really see any difference.

Thanks,
Keith
----------------

I have had the opportunity to compare an 8* next to two other branded H&A. If you'd like to send me an email, I'd be happy to discuss my observations with you.

dcaglaia

Rough_Rock
Hello,
If you wish to learn more about the best cut ideal hearts&arrows diamond in the market as seen in Robb report mag.
"THE AGLAIA" please email me for the nearest AGLAIA dealer near you!!
[email protected]:appl: :appl:

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Dcaglaia, welcome to Pricescope forum.

Please pay attention to the rules of the forum you had agreed upon when signing in.

You are more than welcome to participate in the forum with educational contents. In particular it would be very interesting if you could share your insight about cutting process and what in your opinion makes Aglaia any different from other brands.

. Many people are also familiar with other brands such as A Cut Above, SuperbCert and EightStar.

So far all I read about Aglaia was pure commercial. It would be great to hear what REALLY makes your product different from other H&A diamonds: special proportions, minor facets, H&A pattern, light return, etc. Or is it mostly an advertising and package?

:wavey: [/u][/u]

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results