shape
carat
color
clarity

AGL certification

stci

Ideal_Rock
Is this a good or bad certification? If a seller want to sell me a diamond VS1 and G AGL certified what will be?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You likely have a report from one of many relatively unknown labs. If it is the "AGL" lab at 580 Fifth Ave, NYC, then it is a known lab with a good reputation, especially for colored gemstone documentation, but not especially known for diamond grading. Probably it is another AGL...... Tell us more.

stci

Ideal_Rock
All I know it's probably from India. I need 4 littles diamond for martini earrings. 2x 0.06 and 2x 0.11. They have it in stock but if this certification is so bad that I get horrible I1 and low low color it will be disappointing. They are suppose to be VS1 and G.

This picture is just to show you the package. It's not a diamond that I would buy.

certi.jpg

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
I can't say anything about the lab in question, but the depth of the stone is 61.7%, which gives me some hope that it's a pretty one.

What size are you hoping to get and what's your total budget for the earrings? We may be able to come up with some suggestions for you.

stci

Ideal_Rock
I need 0.06 ct and 0.11 ct martini push back earrings white gold. I hope VS clarity and G color.

I don't know where to go for source so petite diamond except Ebay.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
stci|1299598902|2867374 said:
All I know it's probably from India. I need 4 littles diamond for martini earrings. 2x 0.06 and 2x 0.11. They have it in stock but if this certification is so bad that I get horrible I1 and low low color it will be disappointing. They are suppose to be VS1 and G.

This picture is just to show you the package. It's not a diamond that I would buy.
That's definitely NOT the AGL that David commented on above.

Ignore the 'certification'. You are relying 100% on the word of the dealer anyway. For the most part it doesn't make sense for the labs to grade and report on stones that small because the lab fees become a significant part of the cost of the stone. $50/stone in lab fees is not unusual or even unreasonable. The solution is to buy from a dealer you trust and have them actually look at the stones and give their grade using their expertise. If you don't trust the dealer, find a different dealer. The packing materials included adds nothing to the decision. If you're just wishing to be sure and get a second opinion, find an independent appraiser who is working for YOU, not them, and make the deal dependent on it passing their inspection. A 'certification' from an unknown lab hired by the seller (or their supplier) that makes some sort of grading claim is less than useless, even if it turns out to be correct.

stci

Ideal_Rock
Ok and thank you!

How much I'm suppose to pay for 2x0.06 and 2x0.11beautiful diamond? I have no idea! Could you guide me please?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
stci|1299608151|2867499 said:
Ok and thank you!

How much I'm suppose to pay for 2x0.06 and 2x0.11beautiful diamond? I have no idea! Could you guide me please?
Pretty much every dealer who advertises here sells 'em although they don't generally list them in the database for logistical reasons. Pick one and call them up. The setting labor is often a more important topic than the cost of the stones so you might want to first talk with whoever it is you plan on having set the things. Usually they're also in the business of selling the supplies as well.

stci

Ideal_Rock
But Neil, I can't speack english and who choose to have reasonable prices if I write to them?

Don't know if they are interested to take time for si "petite" diamond? I'm uncomfortable asking.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sylvie,

are you having a jeweler in your area make these? if so, they should be able to source and supply the stones.

how bout Michael E? I"ve used him several times for small projects before he's been incredible to work with

[email protected]

stci

Ideal_Rock
I'm in a deadlock. I contacted the seller and the answer is: "We don't set martini earrings lower than .20ct.".

D&T, If I want to buy these near my home in Quebec it will cost fortune I know. The setting only can cost 400$ CAD Imagine!

I'm so sorry cause I really want these little earings but I found nobody to make that.

I already contact Michael E for another project and it did not properly completed. Perhaps I could contact him and make my project with success this time. I'm gonna try.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh, shoot! I hope it works out with Michael this time.

How bout DanielM at etsy? the colored stone folks will know more about him, I've only contacted him once but I didn't do anything yet.

Good luck Sylvie

z

Rough_Rock
Have you tried bluenile.ca? They're sure to have French speaking reps. also Jamesallen.com has a chat option too, so you could speak with someone through that. I'm sure other vendors would be willing to set the initial deal up via email if you explain you don't speak English.

stci

Ideal_Rock

stci

Ideal_Rock
z|1299621146|2867659 said:
Have you tried bluenile.ca? They're sure to have French speaking reps. also Jamesallen.com has a chat option too, so you could speak with someone through that. I'm sure other vendors would be willing to set the initial deal up via email if you explain you don't speak English.

I contact James Alen earlier via chat and they don't make martini earrings lower than 0.20. I need 0.12 cttw too and it's my problem! Thank you for your help Z! :love:

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
stci|1299621283|2867661 said:
Andelain|1299620883|2867653 said:
Would 12 points per stone be good? You can't beat these and the price is reasonable for the quality. I just bought a pair of this same size in the 4 prong setting and love them.

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamond-earrings/3-prong-martini-diamond-earrings-1342.htm

OMG Adelain! It's exactly what I want! OMG! Your an angel! I wrote to Michael E. to see his price and I wait. Thank you Sweety! :appl:

You're very welcome. Go here if you want to see ear shots of my pair. [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/they-dont-call-it-pulling-an-andelain-for-nothing.155752/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/they-dont-call-it-pulling-an-andelain-for-nothing.155752/..[/URL].

The last post on page one shows them in my ears with my .68CTW's and my fakes that are about 4-5 points per stone.

stci

Ideal_Rock
Yes I see yours Adelain and they are gorgeous!

I just contact Liza to Whiteflash and they can make it for me (0.12 cttw) but it's semi custom. I'm afraid it will be expensive. But I wait her quotation for tomorrow. I'm nervous!

stci

Ideal_Rock
Just for fun and without name, I'll tell you the different quotation that I received for this work and materials and then tell you what happens if I buy the materials myself and set up the diamonds by a near home jeweler.

I repeat: 1 pair of 0.12 cttw martini setting white gold push back and another one same setting but 0.22 cttw diamond. The diamond are SI1 eye clean and G color.

First quotation:
$225 + $405 = $660 + $35 delivery price for a total of $695

Another tomorrow probably.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
stci|1299639890|2867889 said:
Just for fun and without name, I'll tell you the different quotation that I received for this work and materials and then tell you what happens if I buy the materials myself and set up the diamonds by a near home jeweler.

I repeat: 1 pair of 0.12 cttw martini setting white gold push back and another one same setting but 0.22 cttw diamond. The diamond are SI1 eye clean and G color.

First quotation:
$225 + $405 = $660 + $35 delivery price for a total of $695

Another tomorrow probably.

WF will sell you the .25CTW's for $350 total, and you'll get ACA melee, which can't be beat. Way better stones than almost anything you'd find on ebay.

stci

Ideal_Rock
If I buy the piece myself:

$60 + $120 = $180 for diamond
$26 + $27.70 = $53.70 for setting
$100 for work = $333.70 + $50 delivery price for a total of $383.70

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
As you point out, this sort of project involves several components to this deal. For example:

Diamonds
Diamond grading/ sorting
Gold
Fabrication (making the mountings out of the gold)
Setting
Shipping
Taxes
Quality control
Documentation
Dealer margin

As you’ve discovered, it’s fairly straightforward to do this as something of an ala-carte deal if you want, but I’m not sure it really saves you money. Again with the above lists and your pricing examples. $100 for setting is no bargain. $50 for shipping is decent but not fabulous depending on where both you and they are. $800/ct for melee may be a decent deal or not depending on the grading issues( which is one of the costs you’re trying to eliminate). You can eliminate diamond grading, quality control and documentation by doing these things yourself if you’ve got the temperament, the skills and the time but, if you are wanting someone else to do these things, expect them to want to be paid, either directly or as part of the cost of the goods. Similarly, you can eliminate much of the shipping by doing the running yourself if it’s logistically reasonable but, generally, shipping goes up if you have several vendors involved. In general, people who aren’t experts themselves, and sometimes even people who are, benefit by buying a bundle from some vendor and concentrating their shopping energies on choosing the correct vendor rather than trying to parse the individual costs. It's a large and highly competitive world out there and there are LOTS of people in this business. In addition to possibly being a little cheaper, it eliminates the fingerpointing between vendors if a problem comes up.

stci

Ideal_Rock
Last one quotation:
$275 + $350 = $625 + $35 delivery price for a total of $660
I have to say the second pair is 0.25 total instead of 0.22 and the first pair is VS quality great cut

Now we have: $695, $384 and $660

I would like to know what Pser would do with this. Give me your choice.

#1 = $695 all I asked SI1 diamond G color +taxes and duties
#2 = $384 but I have to order all pieces separatly and hope the diamond quality is ok no taxe no duty
#3 = $660 better diamond quality and diamond size a little over 0.22 +taxes and duties

YOUR CHOICE PLEASE AND WHY?

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
stci|1299700118|2868299 said:
Last one quotation:
$275 + $350 = $625 + $35 delivery price for a total of $660
I have to say the second pair is 0.25 total instead of 0.22 and the first pair is VS quality great cut

Now we have: $695, $384 and $660

I would like to know what Pser would do with this. Give me your choice.

#1 = $695 all I asked SI1 diamond G color +taxes and duties
#2 = $384 but I have to order all pieces separatly and hope the diamond quality is ok no taxe no duty
#3 = $660 better diamond quality and diamond size a little over 0.22 +taxes and duties

YOUR CHOICE PLEASE AND WHY?

Did WF give you a quote for a pair of .10CTW's?

stci

Ideal_Rock
Yes Adelain. I don't want to say exactly which one but I think you can read between the lines :D

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
stci|1299707045|2868392 said:
Yes Adelain. I don't want to say exactly which one but I think you can read between the lines :D

I see, said the blind man. :oops:

Well, as the owner of a pair of those same earrings you already know how I'm going to vote. :bigsmile: :appl:

stci

Ideal_Rock
:lol: :lol: Yes I know Sweety!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results