shape
carat
color
clarity

Age of Old Brilliant Cut Diamond Ring?

Vonsworld

Rough_Rock
Hello

I inherited a Platinum Diamond Solitaire ring from a cousin back in the 1980's and am interested to discover its approximate age.

We have a valuation for the ring which describes it as a "Platinum eight claw set single stone old brilliant cut diamond ring, raise shoulders with three millegrain set old cut diamonds." The diamond weight is about 0.97ct.

The cousin from whom I inherited the ring was married in 1941, and therefore if this was her engagement ring it would date from the same time. However I am not sure it was her engagement ring although it does seem likely.

Would a date of 1941 fit with this type of vintage ring?

Thanks for your advice

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to the forum.

Does it have any makers stamps within the metal?

Can you post pictures?

Vonsworld

Rough_Rock
Hello

Thanks for your reply, attached are some pictures, there doesn't appear to be a makers mark

Robin :)
Solitaire1.jpg Solitaire2.jpg Solitaire3.jpg

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is gorgeous!!! I don't know about value or age, but it's just lovely.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that is a beautiful ring. Love it!
I'd say it is 1941-ish.
It doesn't look Victorian or Edwardian.
I hope you keep it in that setting and wear it!:P2

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is lovely! The setting and the stone look to be in great condition. I would love to see a top down pic of the stone and a side profile of the ring but it looks like there's kozibe (reflection of the culet) in the angled pictures so you're probably looking at an OEC or transitional cut. Smaller table points more to OEC.
What a fantastic piece to have inherited. I hope you keep it exactly as is - the setting and stone are beautifully in proportion.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The diamond may be a bit older than the ring. It appears to be an old European cut which dates from the late 1800's to the early 1930's. The ring does look to fit the art deco period in both style and in the use of platinum. Beautiful ring.

Katesimone

Rough_Rock
I'm no expert on diamond cuts, but I think 1941 sounds spot on for that setting - it's not quite Art Deco but has a beautiful vintage feel.

What a beautiful piece!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results