shape
carat
color
clarity

Age defying??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
In another thread someone brought up face creams, which reminded me I wanted to start this thread...

I am 30..my Mom has amazing skin and always gets people asking her if we are sisters, she is 55. I am hoping my skin looks as good as hers when I am older. However, she does have sunspots on her cheeks, the product of lots of young tanning, which I did as well. Now (and for the last 15 years) she has worn tons of sunscreen, hats, etc..and her sunspots are still there.

We are also medium skinned. So I am kind of paranoid re: taking care of my skin and creams and lotions, BUT I still do the face tanning thing a few times a summer, the rest of the time I wear sunscreen on the face and just a light one on my body.

Anyhow, my Mom has used Shiseido religiously since I was a toddler...I heard rave reviews about La Prairie but the prices are too much for me to stomach for face creams, so I buy it on eBay and save about 1/2. I use the Rextexturizer and the Brightening/Illuminator one from their Swiss Cellular line. Sometimes I use their Skin Caviar eye cream sometimes as well. I also use Oil of Olay Regenerist for a daily face cream with sunscreen and also their Serum for daily use as well.

So my question is..for those gals who are maybe in their 40's and 50's and have been using various creams or potions like my Mom has...do you feel like you see a positive result...do you look younger? Less wrinkles? Smoother skin? Or is this really all just hype? What do you buy and wear for your face...whether it's sunscreen or age-defying lotions or Vitamin C or or or ?? What do you swear makes a difference? Face masks..do you do your own or buy them? Do you feel like they work?

I started using La Prairie when a gal friend of mine told me this story of a gal she met at a party who used it religiously and swore by results as she got older. I was in the 'market' for something to use and figured I'd try it out. But who knows if I have actually seen anything positive...I'm only 30 and also I see my face daily so I don't know that I would notice any 'improvements' anyway.

Anyway all of this skin care is very curious to me. I don't know if I buy into it, maybe my Mom just has good genes. Who knows...
2.gif
Some people say that it's all just a big sales and marketing pitch but others swear they see a difference.

La Prairie De-Aging line: http://www.laprairie.com/shoponline/deagers.html

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wonder about buying creams on ebay. Dr. Perricone''s products are VERY expensive. . .some are over $500 per bottle, but on ebay they sell for less. . .I wonder if they''re counterfit?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have always bought my face stuff on eBay, also I bought La Mer which is normally something like $100 for 1 ounce or something ridiculous? I got it on eBay for $70. I didn't really love it though, it was too rich for my face and you cannot use it around the eyes because it makes you break out.

When I buy, I stay away from anything re-packaged into something else (aka auctions that say "I bought a 5 oz jar of La Mer and split it up into 5 1 ounce jars for sale") and only buy the original packaged items and boxed if possible. Figure it cuts down on any counterfeits. Plus La Prairie is not a super well-known brand like La Mer is, so I wasn't worried that tons of people would be knocking it off.

But I got the most stellar deal about a year ago on the Retexturizing and the Illuminator./Brightening, one bottle is normally $150 and would last about 3 months, and I got something like 75 of the small 'sample packets' for $50...so I bought one of each product. A sample packet has about 3 uses in it for me so I am still using them! That was by far the best deal ever.

I am totally like you Michelle in that I become very interested in something, aka face, and bombard it with different things to see if anything works. But again, it's very hard to see a difference (aka did I have a wrinkle there and its gone?)..for me it's just fun to put this stuff on at night and feel like it's working.
2.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I would also be interested in hearing what people have to say.

Part of me wants to believe, but the other part feels like it's hype for the most part.

I think a lot of aging ...perhaps the majority of it...has to do with genetics. Then there is staying out of the sun and CLEAN LIVING!!! I would say that a huge part of taking care of your skin has to be internal. I think that certain supplements like EFA will definitely help. The fatty acids are known to absolutely plump up the skin. When we age, we lose elasticity and the EFA helps you keep that. I'm 31 and started taking it. B complex and vitamin E and A to help with good cell 'turnover' have to be important I would think..?.. hydroxy creams definitely help b/c they keep your dead cells shedding...

I am lucky enough to be able to get major cosmetic brands, including la mer for half off...and a few times a year, it's like 65% off of la mer...but I tried it once and I smelled like an old lady and broke out. I ended up using it on my feet
20.gif
But I agree that people swear by it...

Every day I moisturize with alpha hydroxy, take my EFA and skin care vitamins, wish I could say I changed my diet, and wear a very light moisture tint with spf. Nothing fancy. And I don't look a day over 30
9.gif

My mom has a bit of a turkey neck (she'd KILL me) ...she's about 67....so I'm sure I'll be having a little nip tuck if I get it

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i totally agree with mmm...though skin can certainly benefit from topical applications, so i''m sure there is some usefulness to these type of products. unfortunately, my face just hates most anything i try to put on it!!
7.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh that is another thing, neck and hands...

I read an article last year that talked about all these face things that people are so into, and they said that there was some effect from most of them, but yes alot of it was topical and also of course diet, genetics, ''care'' such as sunscreen etc all came into effect as well.

They also talked about how people tend to focus on the face and not the neck or hands! As those also do age and are two things that ''show'' your age, I was shocked to realize that I never put anything on my neck...so here I am doing all these things to my face and figure what...my neck will always stay like this??
20.gif
So now whatever I put on my face I put on my neck too though I have not succumbed to ''neck'' treatments like the La Prairie neck firming cream etc.

Also funny you mention La Mer for the feet MMM because after I found it too rich for my face, I started using it on my hands at night, along with the Neutrogena skin firming (I had a bunch and I didn''t really use it anymore), so who knows if that will do anything but my hands tend to get really dry and need more care. I never thought of my feet though my heels could definitely use it too!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I use the alpha hydroxy every night now all over (although i''ve always moisturized all over bc I''m so dry) and I''ve really noticed an improvement on my heels! That and vaseline and some plastic wrap and socks one in a while..very classy
41.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I ignored my neck and hands all my life, but now at the ripe old age of 40-something, I''m starting to see the effect on my neck, and hands. My mother has a turkey neck, and all you have to do is compare the hand pics of the newly engaged 20-somethings to the upgrading 40+ hands. There is a huge difference! It doesn''t help that during my teens and 20''s I was one of the tannest chicks around
14.gif

I agree with MC that iI wonder how much these expensive creams really help. Internal and external effects have to make a bigger difference than the creams you use. However, in hindsight I''d still probably try to take better care of my hands and neck -- starting with sunscreen...

yellowfan

Brilliant_Rock
Im not 40 yet, but I use MD Forte and Skin Medica line (TNS recovery complex) from the dermatologist and I like everything I have tried. I also inject weekly B-12 shots and take vitamins. You can also purchase peels from the MD Forte line. I would love La Mer but its too expensive for me.

21.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lori you should check out eBay for LaMer..honestly I would never buy it in stores, way too $$!!!

re: B-12 shots, what do those do??

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Rockchick

Brilliant_Rock
La Prairie is pretty popular here in Europe, or at least Holland, and I hear pretty good things about it. MIL swears by it, and she actually looks more, refreshed, so to speak. It''s pretty expensive, but I never thought about buying on Ebay.. Sounds a bit scary to be honest..

Also, I love love love Shisheido! If you have skin problems use their ''purity-line''. Its meant for teenagers, but your skin feels sooooo smooth and your skin really sucks that stuff up! Love it!

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
37.gif
I saw one of those 20/20 inverstigations on some of the popualr creams and such... I was suprised at the results.. KINDA>..

I am 30 and I think (personally) that a lot of it is genetics. Also.. not smoking. Smoking increases wrinkles. And not wearing make-up (often).

I have had very good luck. I look quite young for my age, but I do not use any soaps to clean my face.. if I do, I use Dove. Actaully, I have NOOO cleaning ritual for my face.. you know.. cleaning in the morning and before I go to bed. I run a wash cloth across my face in the shower.

I do not wear make-up very often though and I am sure that helps. chocolate is my buddy and water? Yeh right.. MAYBE!! I do put lotion on my neck though.. but never on my face.

Therefore, I know that it is my gentetics kicking in, cause I do nothing (other than not smoking and staying away from make-up a bit) to keep me looking young. My grandmother and my mother look quite young for their age... as well...
13.gif

Anyway... I am for the ''If it works.. good... if not...balme the gene pool''

yellowfan

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Mara,

How''s Miss Portia?

I started taking B-12 injections a couple of years ago and I think it helps my hair, skin, and nails. I inject once a week or you can do once a month. I had kidney trouble and when researching B-12 I decided to get the form most absorbed by the body, which is injection. It gives me energy and I will never stop taking it. I have less colds too. B-12 is usually for the elderly crowd, but hey it helps and its cheap compared to other brand name vitamins! A vial (prescription only) is $3 for me at Walgreens. I would of never thought of B-12 if it were not for all of my kidney trouble.

21.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
I think most of the expensive face creams are mostly hype.

I have very dry skin so I''ve always used Neutragena Hand Cream on it. It''s the only thing that keeps it from being flaky.

I think avoiding the sun your whole life is the best way to go. It''s too late for me.
7.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Patty that most of the skin creams out there are mostly hype and that sun avoidance is the best thing you can do. I have had some luck though with the prescription cream Renova. It takes a little getting used to and some people can't tolerate it, but it does seem to diminish wrinkles (I am 50) and leaves your skin so soft and smooth! Most insurance does not cover it and it isn't cheap, but it is not as bad as La Mer and some of the others.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I exfoliate at least once a week. I wash my face with Dove soap (and clinique extra mild on the "T" zone). And adore Olay Regenerist creams. Around my eyes, I use clinique''s "all about eyes". I''ve tried more expensive "department store" products. This seems to work the best for me.

Yep, my hands are a dead give away to my age.
39.gif
And, the 3c rather calls attention to it.
39.gif
But, doesn''t stop me from enjoying it.
2.gif

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Mara,

I used Victoria Principal''s stuff for several years and always received comments on how nice my skin was. I stopped using it because I wanted to research cheaper alternatives. This place http://cosmeticcop.com/ has a products review section that I find useful. I''ve also tried some of her products (mostly facial cleansers and eye make-up) and like her stuff.

Also, three weeks ago I started using this stuff and I like it so far. You''re not supposed to see significant results until 3 months of use, but my skin is much softer and clearer that it''s been in the past and there is some reduction in fine wrinkles around my eyes.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2005 2:00:48 PM
Author: fire&ice
I exfoliate at least once a week.
I exfoliate too - my favorites are ones by MAC and Lancome. . .I went around to all the cosmetic counters about a year or so ago and found the beads to be the perfect size in this two brands.

I''m so tired. . it''s after midnight - probably NOT good for my skin to be up so late, but I wanted to mention as per my addiction, I purchased yet another cream, this time by MAC. In fact, I also have some samples of another of their face lotions that I have used two nights this week. Both are under $30 and are so gentle and soothing to my skin! I love them both AND their eye cream - moisture feed eye - which is spectacularly enriching as it has shea butter, which I''ve found to be THE BEST compliment to my skin. L''occitane has shea butter products too and these are the ONLY creams that have relieved my dry cracked hands!

Okay, I also wanted to mention to anyone interested in using peptides that although these are great for smoothing out skin, I''ve noticed after about a month or a month and a half of twice a day useage that the benefits are starting to wear off and my skin actually seems tired and worn out from so many of these harsh serums. So, even though the directions on all of the brands I''m using say use twice per day, this is not realistic in the long run. I don''t think they should be used more than around three times per week twice a day.

Long ramble - time for bed!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
actually michelle you bring up a good point..which is that sometimes when i have been using a product for a while, it seems like it doesn''t do as great of a job with it and my skin doesn''t look as great.

that is when i take a break from that and try something new and/or go back to an old favorite etc. seems like a new product and/or different ''targets'' perk it up a bit.

but honestly who really knows! i guess only time will tell.

oh and i use L''Occitane shea butter creams for my hands and they still are dry. honestly i need some sort of shea butter infusion directly into my veins or something...i always have dry hands and i''m sure it''s not good for my skin
!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

oh and i use L'Occitane shea butter creams for my hands and they still are dry. honestly i need some sort of shea butter infusion directly into my veins or something...i always have dry hands and i'm sure it's not good for my skin
!
One of my health supplement books says that dry skin can be a result of food allergies - like eggs and milk, OR as MMM has talked about, a diet lacking in EFAs.

Have you tried Aquaphor? It's cheap. Less than $10 at Target and it's a petrolatum-based product that you put on your hands and can let sit overnight (maybe with gloves on?) and wash off. It works really well, but the bad part is it's ultra greasy and not glamorous like most other creams and lotions. This is straight medicinal in nature.

I use to put in on my legs and then wear yucky pants to bed and wake up the next day to silky legs. . .

http://www.drugstore.com/qxp40444_333181_sespider/aquaphor/healing_ointment.htm

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
A great trick for silky legs is to shave using baby oil. I''ve done it for years and my legs are silky smooth. I also use it on my arms and rinse off before getting out of the shower.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another thing I did recently was to get a sample of La Mer at Saks. They have lttle jars as samples. I told the lady that I was very interested in buying it, but wanted to try it first. It may be a small jar, but I think it will last quite a while. I have to take my daughter to Neiman''s this week before she goes away and will ask them for a sample jar. That will make 2 in one week, why not?? I will at least be able to see if it''s worth my money, before plunking down a huge amount of ching???
1.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I have a big fat jar Aquaphor!!! Good stuff!!! but stopped using it for a while...dunno why......LOL- my feet are so dry I have to use this burn victim cream Aquaphor :)

I love my alphahyroxy...it doesn''t cover up the problem but helps to shed that dry skin. LOVE it. It''s replaced everything else except the occasional vaseline on the feet with socks....but it''s too hot out for that now
14.gif
I can''t take this heat.

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Hi I am new to this, but I wondered, would Aquaphor be a good choice for my extremely overly dry and cracking feet? I have tried alot of stuff, and the vaseline is fine--if the weather is on the chilly side.

Rx''s have not worked for me either...HELP!!!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another thing I did recently was to get a sample of La Mer at Saks.
I LOVE samples and am contemplating posting a photo of all the samples I''ve accumulated because I have about 80 of them. lol I''m pretty sure this is obsessive compulsive disorder. I obsess about a product and then my compulsion kicks in and I am prompted to go up to a cosmetic counter and ask for a sample which I never actually use, but hord at home. lol

Seriously, I''ve turned into a facial product junkie and have more little lotion packets than I can use!

Oh and La Mer has a fermented sea weed facial treatment program available - for those interested - it''s a 21-day program and costs only $2100. I''m going to sell all my samples on eBay to help fund this purchase
9.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
MMM - Which alphahydroxy are you using?

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Mara,

I am new here, but I wanted to chime my 2 cents worth in...I am 45 and have been religiously using facial and body creams, lotions and oils for about 10-15 years. My hubby calls it "the ritual", but I have pretty good genes and have no crows feet--so far--and no other facial wrinkles yet. I have the beginning of 2 very slight wrinkles in my forehead if you look at that area in the right light, but that is all. Again, it may be mix of both good genes, diet(which consists of tons of water and lean red meat 2x a week, but I do love sweets and a good mixed cocktail on occasion), and "the ritual."
emwink.gif

I use Oil of Olay Regenerist serum and alternate with Estee Lauder products and a couple of Lancome items as well. Twice a day I cleanse my face and neck area with a Lancome foam cleanser and exfoliate every other day my body in the shower with H2O''s skin smoother which is heavenly in results.
emsmilep.gif

Is it worth the price of the products? It depends. Again,I use Oil of Olay and previously used to only use that line. I incorporated a few of the other mentioned lines as $ and education became available to me. Yes, I notice the difference, but what really makes a difference is when others, especially other women, notice. They do, so I will continue to do so.
emsmile.gif

I don''t know if my comments helped or not...but I hope they did.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/11/2005 10:34:48 PM
Author: DeannaBana
Hi I am new to this, but I wondered, would Aquaphor be a good choice for my extremely overly dry and cracking feet? I have tried alot of stuff, and the vaseline is fine--if the weather is on the chilly side.

Aquaphor is messy, so you''re best bet would be to put it on at night right before bed and then wear thin socks. This product is similar to vasoline - may even be the same thing - so it''s not the type of lotion you put on when you''re about to head on out in flip flops.

Another product you can try is L''occitane shea butter. This seems to work better than regular creams (like bath and body works, etc.).

http://usa.loccitane.com/product/product.asp?product=01CP200KA

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/11/2005 10:34:48 PM
Author: DeannaBana

aquaphor is basically a ''souped up'' vaseline. it works very well for dry skin, but it is greasy. if you use it at night though, you won''t notice it as much. here''s a dry skin routine to try:
before going to bed, soak in warm water for about 10mins (longer will dry skin out)
pat dry (don''t rub) and immediately apply aquaphor
cover with a medium weight, 100% cotton (the garment will end up permenantly greasy!)
wake up to softer skin!
2.gif

best of luck to you!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results