shape
carat
color
clarity

AGBF''s Tanzanite Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF''s Tanzanite Ring

The story of this ring begins in another thread. I received enormous help from Pricescope members in choosing the stone. I also received tips on setting it to the best advantage.

I just got the ring and took some photos. I was rushing, but I think they are good enough for you to see what the ring looks like.

When I have more time later, I would also like to tell you about the men who made the ring.

For those whom I have bored silly, I apologize :).

Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is my finished ring. It is a 2.85 carat tanzanite flanked by two pear shaped diamond accent stones of .54 and .55 carats respectively. The diamonds are D color and VS1 clarity. The shank of the ring is 18k yellow gold. The head is platinum.

tanzring2.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is another shot:

tanzring3.jpg

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
*drool*
9.gif

Very nice ring.
appl.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
...and another shot:

tanzring4.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 1/29/2004 1:55:19 PM LawGem wrote:

*drool*
9.gif

Very nice ring.
appl.gif

----------------

Boy, LawGem, you sure got in there quickly!!! Thank you!

Deb

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great job! Worth every bit of that long serch
2.gif

Are these the pears initioally prepared for the spinel? They surely match this blue company...
9.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
That's really lovely. Basically how I pictured your spinel ring to look!
2.gif

Tali

Rough_Rock
Now that is very nice. Very nice indeed. Wonderful balance for the size of the tanz/side diamonds.

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
AGBF, the ring is splendid in every sense. Very visually appealing and great balance. *Love* it.
2.gif
Congratulations!
appl.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Very Pretty AGBF..
wavey.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Absolutely beautiful, AGBF. Wear it in good health.
love.gif
appl.gif

Diamondlil

Just A Kitty

Rough_Rock
Beautiful ring AGBF.I have a 3.35ct tanzanite with great color.I love the deep colored tanzanite stones.Congrats and wear it often.
lickout.gif

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
AGBF, it looks so comfy in its resting place, but you know we are dying to see pics of it on your hand. Please?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous ring. . . very classy
1.gif

Michelle

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
That's absolutely stunning. The side pears are amazing... love it!
love.gif

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
deb

*pout* you never responded to my PM.

win

PS: Love the ring!

mogok

Shiny_Rock
Hello,
Very nice ring, for sure!
Congratulations for it!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh, I just love the color of that centre stone. Beautiful ring.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rupert Scheufler and Victor Mendieta

I have been meaning to tell you a little bit more about who set my tanzanite and diamonds. I mentioned that it was done at a jeweler local to me. He is merely the owner, however ;-). One of the store's employees, my friend, Mona, helped me compare the tanzanite I had from Pala to some she had on hand. It was with her that I went over what I wanted in a ring. (She knows my taste because Grunberger's makes all my jewelry, regardless of where I buy the stones.)

Then the project was handed over to two very talented and experienced bench jewlers, Rupert Scheufler and Victor Mendieta. Rupert, who has designed other pieces of jewelry for me, including my "invisible solitaire", designed the ring. Victor then executed it.

Rupert is originally from Austria where he went to school for 3 1/2 years and then spent 1 more year as apprentice to a master goldsmith. He had to make a "master piece" to complete his education. He has been working in the trade for many years and is very, very good indeed.

Victor is originally from Ecuador whre he, also, spent a long time training to make jewelry. He spent more than 7 years training to become a master jeweler and, like Rupert, had to produce a "master piece" to become credentialed. Victor told me that he has worked with many fine jewelers who take the craft seriously but who can only go "so far", because their experience is just not great enough to allow them to do more difficult things.

Victor told me about the 7 (seven?) ways in which stones could be set: pavé; prongs; bezel, etcetera. When I asked about invisible settings he drew me a picture of a diamond grooved for an invisible setting. I had thought the groove was at the base, under the area where the culet would be. Nope :).

At any rate, I had a great time learning back there with the bench jewelers and just wanted to post something about them to thank them for their time and expertise.

Deborah

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Just gorgeous! The tanzanite has a great color, and the sidestones really complement it.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought I would revive this thread because it has a photograph of my tanzanite ring in it. The thread educating me about tanzanite is probably even more informative! Here is a link to it:

Thread about Tanzanite

guy_cox

Rough_Rock
How is the softeness of the tanzanite. I am trying to construct something similar but worried about the softness being a problem.

thanks very much

Guy

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

It''s gorgeous!
emlove.gif

cheers--Sharon

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zoisite (the mineralogical name of tanzanite) has a Mohs Hardness of about 6.5. There is also a chrome green variety which is very pretty.

AGBF, what a beautiful ring. Just love the saturated color.

Correction: The GIA Gem Reference Guide says Zoisite has a Mohs Hardness of 6 - 7. For comparison, Diamond is a 10, Corundum (ruby/sapphire) is a 9, Emerald 7.5 - 8, Amethyst 7.

guy_cox

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much for the hardness rating. However I don''t know what that means in real life. Everywhere says you need be be carefull, but how carfull. can you damage it while accidentlly nocking brick walls, does it damage agains''t metal?

apologies for my complete niavity, just trying to put my mind at rest.

Thanks you

guy

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/22/2005 4:12:30 AM
Author: guy_cox
Everywhere says you need be be carefull, but how carfull.
Glass is about Moh 5.5, sand about 7 same as household metals... but the respective scale of hardness is about scratch resistence in controlled conditions, not too relevant for impact and oblivious of the shape and size and movement of the objects at stake. Any hard object around many damage tanzanite upon forceful impact. Well, same for allother jewelry - gems and settings.

I know no type of jewelry that might confront a brick wall (!!!) without structural dammage - the only difference between various gem materials after such unfortunate event would be the shape of the cracks
11.gif
. Fortunately, that''s not exactly usual wear and tear, I would think.

People wear pearls and coral and opal in rings - and there are decades old pieces in mint condition to be found in most collections of antique jewelry.

''Guess the most enduring thing is good insurance. However, haven''t heard of anyone backing off from wearing jewelry just because it is not indestructible. Have you ?

I hope this sounds funny. It was intended to
2.gif

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Several jewelers have told me that tanzanite "is not a good choice for a ring to be worn daily, unless it is in a protected setting".
They are saying, its okay to buy a tanzanite ring, but just don''t wear it everyday.

In my personal experience I think they may be correct. I was wearing my tanzanite ring on a daily basis for a while and when I examined it with a loupe, there were tiny nicks along the girdle (not the case with my ering or sapphire RHR). Hey, but it is a pretty ring and I wanted to enjoy it
1.gif
12.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Deb, that is just amazing...What color in that Tanzanite and I LOVE the classic and substantial pear side stone setting. I love it.
30.gif
I want it!
18.gif

I too have heard that tanzanite is 'soft' but I think you can wear it fairly often but just take it off when you are home and be a little extra careful with it. It is a reality of tanzanite that it does not have the durability of a diamond. I have a tanzanite ring (not nearly as gorgeous as yours!) and I don't wear it everyday.

chantal990

Shiny_Rock
Wow that is a stunning ring. Congratulations the colour is fantastic
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results