shape
carat
color
clarity

AGBF''s Spinel is Set

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My love of rubies is lifelong, but I learned of spinels here on the diamond fora. I am going to post a picture (or so) of my set spinel (after I take them!). I want everyone who loves spinels to read this quotation from Richard W. Hughes, however, because it is germane to my current concern!

Dick wrote here:

"Clarity. In terms of clarity, spinel is often cleaner than ruby. However, the very finest reds are so rare that some clarity defect is almost always present (usually fractures). Included crystals are quite common in spinel. Many stones display natural iron-oxide stains in their fractures."

Note that it is the FINEST reds that usually have fractures!!!

Deb

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/29/2005 4:40:31 PM
Author:AGBF
I am going to post a picture (or so) of my set spinel (after I take them!).

Ooooh, you tease!! Can't wait to see this! This is another ring with a pair of pairs, yes?

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Still waiting, and foot is tapping . . .
28.gif

DiamondLil

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JCJD wrote:

"Ooooh, you tease!! Can't wait to see this! This is another ring with a pair of pairs, yes?"

No...this is the same spinel which previously dated a pair of pears, but settled down with a pair of rounds. The tanzanite I acquired more recently is paired with the pears I bought for the spinel. ;-)

Deb

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/29/2005 5:10:28 PM
Author: AGBF

JCJD wrote:

''Ooooh, you tease!! Can''t wait to see this! This is another ring with a pair of pairs, yes?''

No...this is the same spinel which previously dated a pair of pears, but settled down with a pair of rounds. The tanzanite I acquired more recently is paired with the pears I bought for the spinel. ;-)

Deb

Ah, I see. I couldn''t remember if you were trying for another pear pair with the spinel once you decided they were too big for it.

widget

Ideal_Rock
The suspense! The suspense!!

widget

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have seven photos of my ring which I hope to post. Here is the first.

spinelring1.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is the second photo.

spinelring3.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
...and the third.

spinelring4.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The fourth.

spinelring5.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The fifth.

spinelring6.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The sixth.

spinelring7.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
..and the seventh!

spinelring9.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now back to the quotation from Richard W. Hughes with which I started this thread...my spinel has inclusions. I chose it for the color and never looked at it under a loupe. The owner of the jewelry store where I had it set asked me if I knew it had inclusions. I did not. Mona, my friend at Grunberger's, said I am very gentle on my jewelry and that I shouldn't worry about it fracturing...but that it could fracture if I hit it. That spoiled some of my pleasure in the ring. After all, I had everything done as well as I could because I really wanted a great red spinel ring!

I feel I am in good hands. Jan of DBOF is going to look at it. If she feels it is in danger of breaking I will see what PalaGems can do. Maybe replace it? The reality may be, however, that the best colored spinels are ALL going to have serious inclusions! And, yes, my spinel has some orange...just as Richard Wise and Richard Hughes have both said most spinels do!

I have to say I think it makes a gorgeous ring. (I almost said, "smashing"...but that would definitely not be the mot juste!!)

Deb

widget

Ideal_Rock
It''s just gorgeous, AGBF, just gorgeous!!!

I hope hope hope that Jan''s report comes back favorably. (Where''s a "fingers crossed" icon when you need one?)

I love the way the sides of the shank come up to meet the outside edges of the side stones! You may have posted these stats elsewhere, but could you remind me of the size/weight of the three stones?

Again...BEAUTIFUL!
3.gif

widget

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, that is absolutely gorgeous! I hope my spinel is half as pretty as yours!! You have exactly what I''ve been looking for!!

Enjoy that gorgeous ring, that red is absolutely lucious!
3.gif

rms

Brilliant_Rock
your ring is really beautiful. I am falling in love with colored stones!!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for asking about the statistics on the stones, widget. I just found that I had posted this about the center stone in another Pricescope thread ages ago:

"1.78 ct. oval red spinel in a medium dark, vivid red color in VVS clarity.

The stone has medium dark tone, a vivid saturation and red hue.

The stone is a type II gemstone.

In the VVS clarity grade for a type II gemstone it has minor inclusions: somewhat easy to see under 10X and usually invisible to the unaided eye."

This was obviously in the description I received when I bought it. I am looking for the official measurements on the spinel and then I will post all the stats on the ring.

Deborah

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring is a "handmade, 18K yellow gold and platinum, diamond and spinel ring. The center is an oval, untreated spinel, gem quality, exhibiting an intense red, similar to that of a red traffic light. The stone measure 7.5 x 6mm, with a carat weight of 178/100, and it is set in a platinum four-double prong basket. Set on the sides are two round diamonds and they are as follows: carat weight of 34/100, ideal cut, D in color, VVS-1, AGS cert (cert numbers omitted), and they are perfectly matched.... The diamonds are set in platinum four prong crowns. The band is 18K yellow gold with a soft square edge."

So: the spinel is 1.78 carats and measures 7.5 x 6 mm.
each diamond is a .34 carat rb, D color, VVS-1 clarity, AGS ideal cut.

Deborah

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Deb, your ring is absolutely perfect. This is exactly what I have in mind for a 3-stone sometime in the near future. Wear it in good health.
30.gif

DiamondLil

bar01

Brilliant_Rock

Wow! That’s a great ring! The contrast of the icy white diamonds next to a fine colored gem is simply amazing. Of course I am partial to that style and arrangement (as some of you have seen). It takes some work to find that quality of an untreated colored gem - And - to find perfectly matched certified ideal cut side diamonds in that size. Very rare and beautiful.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
your ring is just beautiful deb!! i hope you get some reassurance on the durability of it. it is a fine piece of jewelry.

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Absolutely spectacular Deb! The color is amazing, and you''ve gotta love double claw prongs! I hope you get good news from Jan soon!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Oh finally! It''s just perfectly gorgeous! Wear it in good health!

Gale

Shiny_Rock
Your ring is really beautiful. The workmanship looks very, very nice.

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Oh wow!!! This ring''s gorgeous! I''ve been checking periodically on the progress of this project back when you were still deciding on pear size. I did see the tanzanite with the pears and that is gorgeous too! I hope that Jan comes back with good news for you, but if push comes to shove, I wonder if you could just have the stones set in bezels. Anyway, it turned out beautifully.
3.gif

Luv

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Sublime. Truely.

cheers--Sharon

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/30/2005 1
6.gif
2:53 PM
Author: luvmysparklies
I hope that Jan comes back with good news for you, but if push comes to shove, I wonder if you could just have the stones set in bezels. Anyway, it turned out beautifully.
3.gif

You know a bezel setting *DID* occur to me (although I really like to see a stone...my solitaire has nearly INVISIBLE prongs!). I think that yours is a very intelligent idea...as a last resort! I thank everyone who has wished me well!

Deb

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I am scum for missing this thread. It's B E A U T I F U L, simply B E A U T I F U L. I sure hope you get good news from Jan.

P.S. love the split prongs.
30.gif
30.gif

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Wow, the color, the diamonds, the setting.................
It''s all wonderful. I love it. Nice prongs too!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results