shape
carat
color
clarity

AGA Chart

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tefaber

Rough_Rock
Can anyone offer suggestions as to what grade of diamond I should be looking for in regards to the AGA chart of princess cut diamonds? I''m looking for a 1.4-1.5 carat diamond with at least G color and VS2 clarity. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!
Tim

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You want to take important cues from the AGA charts, but you MUST examine the diamond for light return and scintillation as the AGA charts do not adequately predict those very important components of overall appearance. The AGA charts help consumers avoid fragile diamonds, overly deep ones, lumpy ones, badly shaped ones. By seeking our a princess cut that meets a 2B or higher grade, you will get one that looks its weight and is not dangerously fragile. The closer you get to the 1A range, the better the shaping.
Again, the light return portion needs you specific attention. Many vendors are prepared to give you those details. That's how the whole thing works out.

layman

Rough_Rock
Dave, do you have any plans to work with Garry to devise a mother of all grading systems.

Kind of tired of moving back and forth between the two sites to check the grading of a stone.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No...Garry and I get along well, but we have different committments within the industry. He is on the other side of the earth so we get along just fine. I understand your problem with the way things are right now.

Please check out www.imageminc.com

This is something I am attached to and it will prove the cure for this important issue. Look for us to begin using this sort of technology in the coming months, I'd suppose.
Not ready quite yet.

mm

Rough_Rock
Ok, so the AGA charts don't guarantee a "top performer" for scintillation, brilliance, light return etc.

However, if a stone is 1A or 1B, could you assume it will be a 'reasonable to pretty good' performer, and probably better than most stuff you will find at a mall store? Would this be especially the case if it is a 1B because the crown height is 11% or so?

I know the threads keep saying "sometimes an AGA 3b can be a brilliant performer", but my real concern is how often a 1A or 1B is a real dog?

cheers
mm

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Those 1A and 1B princess cuts are "RARE". Cutters are way smarter than we give them credit for. When they make a fine cut today, they definitely look at light return. There are a few specialty places making these stones and they are far from dogs.

However, there used to be some really poor ones with relatively good parameters. So, do not buy blindly. LOOK with you own eyes at the very least.

mm

Rough_Rock
Thanks Dave,

Your charts have been such a help in sorting through potential stones.

cheers
mm

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results