shape
carat
color
clarity

Afternoon wedding - DJ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

booswim542

Shiny_Rock
Hey everyone!
I think my FI and I finally set a date for our wedding. May 30, 2010. It''s the Sunday of the 3-day Memorial Day weekend, so most people won''t have to work on Monday.

We are considering an afternoon wedding (ie Reception 2-6) to cut costs. We have family coming from all over the globe, so I know that people will want to talk/hang out. There are a lot of people who would like to dance too, but I think they would all be OK with either.

So my question is: if you don''t have a DJ at the wedding (or a wedding coordinator), who directs how things go for the day? Who gets people''s attention when it''s time to cut the cake, etc?

Just a thought I had, maybe some of you can answer from experience!

tlh

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been to weddings where the cake cutting was off to the side and it was missed. I''ve found the way it gets people''s attn is if it is like at the beginning in the center of everyone''s attn.
otherwise, people will mingle like they do at any other gathering... but they do tend to have focus on the bride/groom that they know. I had been to one really casual outdoor "champagn brunch" that was earlier, and the father of the bride had a mic and he really directed people to where to go... it was done in such a sweet way... it wasn''t over the top at all.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
You could always assign someone the role of coordinator. Create a timeline for them and show them where the mic is and let them have at it! That''s what I''d do.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
To first answer the original question: Does the venue have someone that can direct everyone? Most venues do. If not, then I would appoint someone at the wedding to be the MC (someone reliable though).

My second thought: Is there a reason why you aren''t having a DJ? I think for short receptions, like 2 to 4, then a DJ isn''t necessary. But for a four hour reception, you may end up with some people leaving early even though you paid for the use up to that time.

booswim542

Shiny_Rock
We would not have a DJ because of the cost thing again. If we didn''t have dancing, I suppose we could have a shorter reception. I know this has been talked about before, but I also think it''s kinda weird to have dancing in the middle of the afternoon. And FI and I really don''t like to dance anyway.

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Most of the time the Maitre de (I know I''m not spelling that right...4 hours sleep last night) will direct the bride and groom if there is no DJ.

We''re having a 1-5pm reception, and I''m sure hoping there will be a DJ! That''s one thing I am not handling..that''s all on the BF.

teapot

Shiny_Rock
speak to your venue contact and ask how it is normally coordinated. Maybe they can supply a mic and you could get your friend to make announcements.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Get a close friend to MC for the reception. All they need is a microphone and a relaxed attitude towards public speaking and you are set. They can announce the important things so nothing is missed. At my friends wedding, we had a MC who also controlled the Ipod music. Ipod is a fabulous alternative to a DJ when you are having a less formal/intimate/whatever wedding. Saves lots of dollars too

booswim542

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone!
I feel like I am really cutting corners in this wedding planning business. But you gotta save a dollar where you can, right? Since I am pretty sure we''re skipping the dancing, I don''t want so spend the $500 on the DJ. So, I really appreciate all your answers!

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Where are you having the wedding? A lot of rental places rent out portable PA equipment for around $100 that you can hook up to an ipod. Or, if you are having it in a hall, you can probably just hook up an ipod to their PA. Then, all you will need to do is find one friend or relative to MC for you.

I also think dancing in the afternoon is unlikely and awkward. What about games? Are your friends/family into games? You could set up some games for entertainment.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results