shape
carat
color
clarity

Afternoon Spent with BGD's New Signature Cushion Cut Diamond

alpha238

Shiny_Rock
I spent this afternoon with Brian Gavin playing with his new cushion cut diamonds. I had to see for myself how they compare with other cushions and BGD’s round signature hearts and arrows. They are exquisite! The sparkle is mesmerizing! I took some pictures with my iPhone. The first picture I attached is a 2 ct stone. The stone is so bright!

Brian placed one of the round signature hearts and arrows on top of his new cushion hearts and arrows. The edges of the round were flush with the cushion’s edges, however, the corners or tips of the cushion extended past the round stones edges. The quality of the pictures is not that good, but I think you’ll be able to tell the differences in the shapes.

I also took some pictures of similar and heavier weight round diamonds with the cushion diamond. The cushion holds its own next to the larger rounds. For the cushion to sit upright in the grooves, it is placed in the “kite” position.

img_0782.jpg

img_0771.jpg

img_0779.jpg

alpha238

Shiny_Rock
Re: Afternoon Spent with BGD's New Signature Cushion Cut Dia

I got to try on a 1 ct cushion in a setting from his new Lace Collection. OMG! The rope-like milgrain is exquisite! There are diamond melee on either side of the shank. It reminds me of a Tacori with a modern twist. I bet colored melee would be just as gorgeous!

Oh, and I forgot to mention the most important part – I’m having a 0.722 cushion set into a dbty bracelet! :appl:

img_0761.jpg

img_0762.jpg

img_0763.jpg

Lula

Ideal_Rock

Congratulations on your bracelet!
I think these are beautiful stones. I can't tell for sure from your profile shots -- is the crown high and pillowy? This new cut reminds me of the HOF Dream Cut.

alpha238

Shiny_Rock

Thanks Lulu, it's very exciting! There is a video of this new cushion on the BGD site. You'll be able view the diamond from all angles there.

kitsunegrl

Rough_Rock

It's Really beautiful, but when is the Lace collection available? I couldn't find it on his site.

alpha238

Shiny_Rock

Thanks Kitsunegrl The Lace Collection is so beautiful and elegant. Brian hasn't put the collection on his site. It should be out in a few weeks.

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock

Sorry if this is forward but I have to ask: where does your username "alpha" come from?

BG's financial half is called "Alpha Creations," and it would be inappropriate for an OP with a connection to the company to pose as merely another consumer in a thread such as this.

I think discussing the diamonds is worthwhile, but it's shady enough for me to question it.

Lula

Ideal_Rock

teobdl|1374854398|3490818 said:
Sorry if this is forward but I have to ask: where does your username "alpha" come from?

BG's financial half is called "Alpha Creations," and it would be inappropriate for an OP with a connection to the company to pose as merely another consumer in a thread such as this.

I think discussing the diamonds is worthwhile, but it's shady enough for me to question it.

What the heck? This poster -- alpha238 -- has been a member of PS since 2009, which, if I remember right, was before Brian and Lesley left Whiteflash. I don't find the poster's comments shady at all.

Honestly, I'm just baffled by the "meh" response on RT to this new cut by BGD. This expands the vendor choices for consumers looking for well-cut cushions and square H&A stones. Why aren't people more enthusiastic? And I say this as someone who has never been a customer of BGD. (Well, yet anyway!) To me, the silence on PS about this new cut is what's suspicious.

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock

Alpha Creations was bought by Brian Gavin in 1995 and is based out of Houston. The poster probably lives in Houston because she visited BGDs store.

Does this mean that the poster is a plant? No. And even if she were connected to BGs business does it mean the diamonds are poor? No.
That said, I do trust opinions more when they are independent of the company.

I do get suspicious when most people's sentiments are "meh," as you put it, and the one positive review comes from a poster who's name is shared with an entity owned by manufacturer. Could be a fluke and I hope it is. That's why Im asking.

ETA: Let me be very clear--I'm not in any way trying to say that BG or his company is anything less than stellar. I don't know the man, and I've never spoken with him. I have bought from his company, and I'm extremely happy with my purchase. It was without a doubt the best diamond I encountered, and I returned more than a few in my search.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lula|1374862297|3490909 said:
Honestly, I'm just baffled by the "meh" response on RT to this new cut by BGD. This expands the vendor choices for consumers looking for well-cut cushions and square H&A stones. Why aren't people more enthusiastic? And I say this as someone who has never been a customer of BGD. (Well, yet anyway!) To me, the silence on PS about this new cut is what's suspicious.

I haven't given it too much thought, to be honest... to me, well, there are already number of H&A-rounds-with-square-outlines out there - Brellia, Jubilee, Princess of Hearts, HoF Dream - and this is another flavour. I had the same "meh" reaction to Canera's H&A RB line - I'm sure they're beautiful stones, as are BGD's new cushions (alpha's certainly is!!) but neither design concept strikes me as particularly groundbreaking.

ETA: I would have had the same reaction to Canera's vintage cushion line but for the drama that resulted, so... at least I'm consistent?

alpha238

Shiny_Rock

I've been away from my computer all day and am just seeing. these posts. I'm not very creative when it comes to picking out screen names. My husband is a chemist and an ameature astronomer. (In other words a geek) who I've been married to for over 31 years. Alpha238 is an isotope of uranium that my husband is fond of. I know, I don't get it either;-).

Yes I do live in Houston and have visited other vendors offices located in Houston as well. I have worked with other PS vendors through email or phone calls who were not local to me. My experience with one beloved PS vendor was a nightmare! I have bought several pieces from Brian Gavin. Each piece was more beautiful than the last. I know that all I have to do is call BGD's office and tell them what I want and how much I want to spend and it's done. The piece always comes back perfect the first time. There is never a need to return the piece because of shoddy workmanship.

It was a complete surprise to me when I received the email like many other PSer's that Brian launched his new cushion. So I had to go see it for myself. Thank you Lulu for defending me and I too agree, why aren't there more positive posts about a new diamond cut! To me, it is a truly unique cut. Brian Gavin is a true innovator and not an immitator!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

These diamonds look beautiful. I hope to get to see one in real life soon!

I think it's fantastic that BGD has expanded their already impressive line. I actually think that setting them <> like that as earrings with pear drops would be to die for.

But... I have to be honest. It's that lace collection setting that stole my heart. WOW that sucker is gorgeous. I'm going to have to go and check that out now...

**SIGH** another thing to add the the wishlist.

angeline

Ideal_Rock

Do you really think that if the OP was a plant in any way that she would choose a username even remotely connected with BG?

I gotta say I get so tired of all the net nannies questioning everyone's veracity. Like chatons thread in SMTB.

Beautiful diamond btw alpha! Looking forward to seeing your bracelet.

alpha238

Shiny_Rock

Thanks Gypsy and Angeline. Gypsy, we are setting the cushion in the "kite" position. I can't wait till it's finished. Gypsy, I only got to see the e ring and w ring in the Lace Collection. Brian said there would be earrings too! :appl:

CrazyBirdLady

Shiny_Rock

Alpha thank you for the real life pics. Love the diamonds and your nail polish. Do you know what colour it is?

librarychickie

Shiny_Rock

I'm totally digging the new Lace collection, as well. I wonder if he'll do it in a two-tone with plat and yellow or rose gold?

alpha238

Shiny_Rock

CrazyBirdLady my nail polish is Sally Hansen's Xtreme wear and the color is Peach Beach. I love the color too. It's perfect for the summer.

Librarychickie, I love the idea of having a two tone ring. When the collection comes out, you might want to ask Brian about making it in two tone.

GoSounders

Shiny_Rock

Yssie|1374872566|3491014 said:
I haven't given it too much thought, to be honest... to me, well, there are already number of H&A-rounds-with-square-outlines out there - Brellia, Jubilee, Princess of Hearts, HoF Dream - and this is another flavour. I had the same "meh" reaction to Canera's H&A RB line - I'm sure they're beautiful stones, as are BGD's new cushions (alpha's certainly is!!) but neither design concept strikes me as particularly groundbreaking.

ETA: I would have had the same reaction to Canera's vintage cushion line but for the drama that resulted, so... at least I'm consistent?

The BGD signature cushion does fill a hole in the market, albeit a smaller one.

First off, the princess of Hearts, HoF Dream, and jubilee diamonds are not cushions, but more like square radiants. They also have arrows at 45 degrees, which get partially covered by prongs. The PoHs tend to have light leakage through the center, which seems like a branded H&A faux pas.

So we're down to 2 H&A cushions : BGD signature cushion and Brellia. Brellias are very nice, but have a very large girdle on the sides. It doesn't bother me so much, but I can see how some think it's a bit ugly. The BGD Signature cushion has a very nice, uniform girdle all the way around the diamond. Besides, without BGD, Brellia would have a monopoly on H&A cushions, and we know competition helps the consumer.

Lastly, I've seen that the BGD signature cushions are significantly less expensive than all the above cuts except for the PoH, which has the aforementioned leakage issues.

Alpha, I love that you're setting this stone in the kite orientation. Makes the shape even more pronounced and unique.

delight

Shiny_Rock

Very nice wire designs! How much does the setting cost?

alpha238

Shiny_Rock

GoSounders, thank you for pointing out the differences in the other cushions. One of the things that I love so much about BGD's cushion is the little "twist" you see at the edges of the diamond. (Bare with me now, I'm going to mess up my explanation. :-o ) When you look at the pictures of the H&A, you can see that the triangle part of the arrow is slightly off the long arm of the arrow. So when you look at the diamond from the top down, the triangular facets of the arrow ever so slightly disconnect from the long arm of the arrow visually giving you a gorgeous facet pattern. :love: Okay, you can stop laughing now at my explanation, I'm not the technical one in the family. :oops:

Delight, I have no idea how much the setting from the Lace Collection cost. Brian was just showing me a finished with the new cushion in it. I can tell you that I didn't realize that I had the ring on for quite a while, it was so comfortable I forgot I hadn't taken it off. I teased Brian and told him I had planned on walking out with it. :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results