shape
carat
color
clarity

After PS, would you not buy a super ideal cut?

prbaglady

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I always thought that if I were to get an MRB I would be up for the challenge of hunting down a stone with the perfect specs but without the super ideal markup. But then I saw a CBI in real life and I can’t go back now! There really is something special about the way that they sparkle, and the contrasty, crisp facet structure. Now I think that they are 100% worth the markup.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Yes, because I love old cuts. I’m fine with an I1 or I2 also for an RHR. I do want a high color CBI one day. Err—I guess I love everything?

paperunicorn

Shiny_Rock
Echoing many others here...I love antique diamonds...OECs are my #1 favorite cuts of all! Performance is obviously important but to me one of the things I love most about gemstones is character. And sometimes an imperfect cut can capture the heart; I also love being able to see the artistry of antique rings, even if it means little mistakes or imperfections that might bother someone who really wants things perfect. :)

I would love to eventually own a CBI or AVC as well. Someday!

Last edited:

Siyah

Rough_Rock
What would be wrong with an excellent cut?

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, if I was buying a MRB or an H&A Cushion, I would definitely only buy a super-ideal.

Fancies? Depends...

FWIW I would really really like to see in person BGD's Signature Emerald-Cut Diamonds (AGS OOO)

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kmoro - This isn't really relevant to this thread, but I came across your post the other day about the WF 1.22ct D VVS1 stone you bought a short while back, and saw it was for sale again. Did you decide not to keep it? It seemed like a gorgeous stone!

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
It depends on how much time I have. If I were under a time crunch, I'd get a super-ideal with my desired proportions and be done with it and would recommend the same to a newbie with a decent budget overwhelmed with TMI. You can certainly find stones that perform equality (if not outperform) to super-ideals at great value, but seeking such can be painstakingly difficult and time consuming.

However, I do love to treasure hunt and I'm always looking for something different, even outside the super-ideal range. I have MRBs in virtually all proportions, and I've decided I want an OEC next after seeing a mega-chunky-flashy old stone in person.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
It’s a good question. The same thing could be asked about relationships; if you studied the aspects of partnership for a while before you picked one, would you choose differently? Education can only help us, right?

But like many others here I’m an old-cut lover. Why? Many reasons, mostly Romance, but also because of what an HR department head would call “good fit” - because they are right, somehow.

There’s this concept, “know thyself and adorn accordingly” and for me, a super ideal would be inauthentic, not a good fit, so even if I stumbled across one somehow, I wouldn’t keep it. It’s just not me.

Someday, I’d love to see AVRs in person... but modern super ideals would leave my eyes unsatisfied because it would be like looking at someone else’s jewellery. Nice, but no emotional attachment.

Isn’t it great that there’s room for everyone’s taste? :love:

Tophat1

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If I could afford it, yes. But there have been some folks who have come on PS and had the community find them a value stone - that had all the right angles and great light performance, just not exactly as symmetric as a super ideal or branded as such and they got great stones At a great price. If I had a more restricted budget, I would be very open to that pathway

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My decisions are based on priority, price & vendor. Cut quality is never negotiable. I have an ACA for my main left hand ring (most important stone I'll ever own) but my 3 stone pendant & studs, are all well GIA EX/EX with ideal proportions. I did buy an AVC during one of Jonathan's promo sales or I would have picked up a well cut cushion from one of the other old cut vendors at some point with either GIA or AGS certs. While I'm most comfortable with stones that have certs with inscriptions or Aset/Idealscope images, I've also bought stones that don't because vendor reputation. I bought 2 little AVC's from Good Old Gold that don't have certs & a suite of gorgeous little yellow cushions from Leibish. I've bought a few inexpensive pieces on Loupetroop as well.

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I don't want to pay for anything I can't see. Be it superideal, branded or mind-clean. If I can't see it unaided.....

Same. Especially I think there is no branded super deal cut portion for fancy shapes. I start to loving the step-cut more and more. You really need to see them to get and ideal of how ideal their light performances are...

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
After getting educated on super ideal cuts here on the Pricescope forum, would you buy anything else?

Now that I know what I know, I just wouldn’t be happy with less than super ideal.

What about you?

I’m not a MRB gal, BUT, if I were, it would be super ideal for me, all the way!! Even if that meant I had to drop in size, I’d prefer a super ideal, crisp VS+ clarity, G+Color MRB!

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
I buy non-ideal stones frequently, but they are NOT major purchases. For instance, I just bought some vintage buttercup earrings and a sparkly little bangle (they're in the Christmas jewelry thread), they're not ideals, and I LOVE them. That seemingly simple looking bangle is a MAJOR glitter bomb!! And I have a handful of other pieces that are GORGEOUS, but not super-ideal. However, for my forever ER/WB, I wanted the best I could afford, and after the Costco GIA XXX fiasco, I went the super-ideal route with CBI/HPD and never looked back.

Currently, I'm starting a necklace project and after spending a few (unhappy) weeks hunting down stones from various PS vendors, I decided to proceed with CBIs for the project as they were approximately the same price range as the others, and I TRUST THEM. That's a big one for me. If @Wink says I'm going to like it, then I just have him send me what he has and I'll verify when I get them, but I already know they'll be perfect. That peace of mind is worth a lot to me. He made it DANGEROUSLY easy. I told him what I wanted and he got them for me in a just a few days, including reserving one that was in production in Antwerp.

Unlike many others here, I don't enjoy hunting through millions of diamonds for perfect specs, and deeply distrust GIA certs, which is what most stones have. I feel unsure and second-guess everything, stuck in analysis paralysis, and it turns out to be a frustrating and utterly unenjoyable experience. I much prefer hunting for finished vintage pieces where I know I'm not expecting perfection, and can therefore concentrate on beauty and value. I also find that vintage/pre-owned older pieces generally have a better make and higher workmanship quality because they're not all cookie cutter mass-produced crap, and for me that makes the acquisition of beautiful unique pieces all the more fun.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
@kmoro - This isn't really relevant to this thread, but I came across your post the other day about the WF 1.22ct D VVS1 stone you bought a short while back, and saw it was for sale again. Did you decide not to keep it? It seemed like a gorgeous stone!

Ah yes - I’m sure it is a beautiful stone ... while I was waiting, a D1.424 VVS2 cams up and I switched to that. I never did see the 1.22 .... not sure it was the best move as the 1.424 has a lot more fluorescence than I would like ... WF is helping me find another one ... I could go back to the 1.22 but have now been bitten by the bigger size, lol

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a pair of ACA studs and prefer super ideals for that purpose. But for every other piece of jewelry, rings, pendants, bracelets, I prefer OEC's or old cut cushions. For step cuts, there aren't super ideals and I'm happy with a well cut modern or old stone. The cut of either is what makes my decision. But other than earrings, I don't even look at MRB super ideals.

ratatat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Only a super ideal for engagement ring. I can tell the difference so that’s what matters to me. But not so strict for a pendant, earrings

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’ve had Whiteflash ACA diamonds, Brian Gavin Signatures and a CBI diamond. They were all beautiful and very sparkly. I’ve also had an Expert Selection from Whiteflash too. I also through it was beautiful.

When I was helping my son in law buy an engagement ring for my daughter we went with the best we could get for his money. It was a BGD signature diamond.

If I was buying for myself I probably would look around and get the biggest nicest diamond I could get, but not necessarily a super ideal.

I don’t think a new diamond is in my future though. I fell in love with a slightly wonky 1ct M VS2 OEC and have worn it for a few years now with no desire to upgrade/change/sell it :kiss2:

ratatat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@Maisie sorry to beat a dead pricescope horse, and I don’t mean to derail the thread, but I’d like to know your quick thoughts about BGD vs CBI? Thanks =)2

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Maisie sorry to beat a dead pricescope horse, and I don’t mean to derail the thread, but I’d like to know your quick thoughts about BGD vs CBI? Thanks =)2

I’m not an expert by any means but to my eyes they were both beautiful. I’m sorry I can’t be more technical :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results