shape
carat
color
clarity

After months of research: Black By Brian Gavin Round 1.8 G VVS2 in 810 Collection Platinum Halo

holeydonut

Shiny_Rock
I hope this is the first and last time undergoing the ordeal of purchasing an engagement ring :) Price Scope was invaluable in my search, and I appreciate the informative posts of people here. Even after my disastrous post about "dusty" VS clarity diamonds ;-)

Initially, I saw some rather lackluster diamonds and settings in local jewelry stores, and I was about to simply go the Tiffany/Harry route to get a quality stone and setting. Luckily I stumbled upon PS and the wealth of information about the importance of cut and the super-ideal-cust vendors that aren't typically known to the general population.

I spent weeks archiving and quantifying diamonds first with HCA #s but also going so far as to assign numerical symmetry to the hearts in the provided H&A views and quantifying the ratio of desirable color in ASET charts. I probably wasted a lot of time there... it seems like the marginal benefits of super-duper-ideal-to-the-max and super-ideal is just a mental thing.

Ultimately, I found the perfect result with a Black by Brian Gavin Diamond (BGD) paired with his hallmark 810 Collection settings. In person, the diamond (HCA score of Brian's sweet spot 1.0) is much better than the GIA XXX I have seen, and the setting is stunning as well.

Stylistically, his 810 Collection Halo bucks the trend of the Tiffany Soleste / Harry The One / Cartier (ed: Destinee not Desiree) halos, and the 810 design is absolutely gorgeous (if not a bit over the top). 6-prongs... airline halo... split shoulders... cathedral... floral/symmetrical halo... and brilliant action in the gallery + shoulders. The hidden stone customization to my FF's (I hope) ruby birth-stone was a bonus touch as well. The halo is customized to the diameter of the center stone, so the entire ring flows very nicely instead of feeling like a generic piece meant to accommodate a range of stones.

The thing is built like a tank... cast 950 platinum/ruthenium... it's one of the heaviest rings I've seen. In terms of execution I couldn't have asked for anything more. I suppose there is a trade-off of this cast ring instead of a hand forged, but BGD is standing behind their work with a lifetime warranty.

The Emily at Brian Gavin Diamonds was super helpful in carrying out the details around the setting and answering many questions along the way. The resulting product is stunning; these pictures don't do the diamond and ring justice.

These were shot with an iPhone 8 and cheap USB camera... I really don't know how the pros do this haha. I have a colorful painting mounted on the wall above where I shot these, which added some artificial color... the photos otherwise would just be very white. I guess it makes the center stone a bit yellow-ish sometimes. But on to the pictures!

Obligatory angle:
810_FrontAngle_1024.jpg

The halo diameter and taper of the shoulders is customized to the center stone. Everything flows very proportionately and seamlessly.
810_SideAngle_1024.jpg

They took out the milgrain of the standard 810 design and gave a shiny bezel instead. I like the claw-prongs as well.
810_Perspective_1024.jpg

The halo isn't a flat 2D plane; it tapers downward providing an awesome gallery view with the airline halo orientation.
810_Side2_1024.jpg

The hidden red ruby is a lovely contrast to an otherwise monochrome ring.
810_Rear_1024.jpg

There's one tiny inclusion visible at intense magnification. At least I think it's an inclusion. It's probably dust ;-)
810_FaceUp_1024.jpg

Tilt angle "dust" issues were what pushed me to VVS instead of VS.
810_FaceTilt_1024.jpg

I tried to get a photo of BGD's "H&A melee"
810_Side1_1024.jpg

Last edited:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful @holeydonut ! I am happy that you found exactly what you were looking for! The diamond and the ring are stunning! :love: Without a doubt, your fiancé-to-be will be thrilled! Please come back with handshots.

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That is abso-freakin-lutely divine! Great choices all around. Next up... HAND SHOTS!!! :love:

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning!!!! And I love the setting! Gorgeous

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s amazing. It’s a jaw dropping ring. I think you hit it out of the ballpark!
:appl::appl:

Can’t wait to see hand shots.

Love the hidden ruby

holeydonut

Shiny_Rock
I haven't even touched it yet! White gloves only so far. There's a few more weeks to go unfortunately before she gets it.

But in the mean-time if there's an issue with the diamond and ring, I have a ticking clock to get problems fixed... let me know if you see anything that could be an issue in the photos.

I have zoomed in on all the melee and things seem set well with the cast-in bead work. The prong angles and coverage on the crown seem ok, and I think everything is structurally sound. And, I was able to read the inscription on the girdle and everything matches up. Not sure what else to check.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is AMAZING! I love everything about it--the claw prongs, milgrain, overall style, everything. Great work!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
It is stunning!!! Really really gorgeous. Your fiancé is one lucky gal! :appl:

alpha238

Shiny_Rock
Absolutely beautiful! BGD did an incredible job once again! Your fiancé will love her ring.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A big congrats!.:appl::appl:Job well done! :love::love:

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@holeydonut what a total showstopper of a ring and that stone is amazing. Your fiancée will be blown away by how beautiful it is :appl: how can you stand to wait to give it to her??

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I haven't even touched it yet! White gloves only so far. There's a few more weeks to go unfortunately before she gets it.

But in the mean-time if there's an issue with the diamond and ring, I have a ticking clock to get problems fixed... let me know if you see anything that could be an issue in the photos.

I have zoomed in on all the melee and things seem set well with the cast-in bead work. The prong angles and coverage on the crown seem ok, and I think everything is structurally sound. And, I was able to read the inscription on the girdle and everything matches up. Not sure what else to check.
Sit back and relax. You are D-U-N-N done. The ring is amazing! My prediction is that she will go out of her mind. :love:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous.:love: Congratulations and please come back with hand shots.:appl:

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful!! :appl:

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Breathtaking! Really beautiful from every angle, wow! Can’t wait to see hand shots!

JoJa12345

Shiny_Rock
Premium
WOW ~ Amazing!! :love::love::love:

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Now that is a stunning piece! Looks like a work of art! Do you mind sharing the specs for this diamond?

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, you really researched this ring. :clap: Did your fiance give you hints as to what style setting she wanted? Can't wait to see hand pictures.

holeydonut

Shiny_Rock
Now that is a stunning piece! Looks like a work of art! Do you mind sharing the specs for this diamond?

Sure here’s the link:
https://black.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond-details/bkags-104100872057

AGS 104100872057

Carat 1.818
Color G
Clarity VVS2
Measurements 7.79 x 7.82 x 4.83
Lab Cut Grade Ideal
Light Performance Ideal
Polish Ideal
Symmetry Ideal
Table % 56.2
Depth % 61.8
Crown % 15.2
Crown Angle 34.7
Star % 52
Pav Angle 40.6
Pavillion % 42.8
HCA Score 1.0
Lower Girdle % 77
Culet Pointed
Fluorescence Negligible
Girdle Thin to Slightly Thick faceted

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spectacular ring!:love:

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
that is a work of art. I can't wait to see a finger shot after you propose!

speaking of, what are you gonna do? ;-)

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She will be blown. a. way.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please propose this weekend. She‘ll be blown away (then you can post hand pics). Kudos on all the research, you did a wonderful job picking the stone and setting (and vendor).

Congratulations On your engagement!

VDK1

Shiny_Rock
The ring is so classicaly beautiful! The pics are very professional too. Waiting for the handshot

holeydonut

Shiny_Rock
that is a work of art. I can't wait to see a finger shot after you propose!

speaking of, what are you gonna do? ;-)

We have a vacation coming up in a few weeks - it's not really a surprise since she's been in the design/specs process so far.

There are a few finishing touches that I'm trying to get on the ring though... I didn't realize it but the melee is a bit crooked on the right-shoulder of both sides of the ring. Brian Gavin is going to take a look.

The 3rd diamond up from the bottom on the right-hand side gallery of the last picture in my original post isn't facing up the same alongside the other melee. The same thing happens on the other side. I spent so much time looking at the center stone and halo I totally missed this until now haha.

810_1.jpg

I hope they can get it re-aligned...

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
bummer! GL!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very nice! Congrats on your successful completion of your ering AND your upcoming engagement!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A very very unique setting! she will absolutely love wearing this piece by Mr Gavin.. congratulations, job well done and I wish you much happiness! :love::love::love:

Katya DXB

Shiny_Rock
Premium
This is insanely beautiful! Wow!! Left me speechless. You've done such an amazing job with all the research and effort you put in the whole process. Big congrats and all the best!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, I was really hoping for more pics. Beautiful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results