shape
carat
color
clarity

Affordable Asscher Cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

festivities

Rough_Rock
Dear Experts,

I just stumbled across this site while looking for an "affordable" Asscher cut diamond. How lucky for me!

This is most likely the stupidest question... Does anyone know if it is possible to find an Asscher in about 1.5 carat, around G color and with an S1 clarity for about 3000.00? I have the cash in hand and after looking at many different cuts, this is the one I like best. It''s simple and clean.

I have found two that are 1.1 carat, both are D and VS2 for 3,700. I am willing to sacrifice a bit on grade for a slightly larger stone. I looked at a 1.1 loose stone yesterday with a local jeweler and love the cut, but it looks small!

THANK YOU!!!!!

Asscher Cut Lover!
wavey.gif

Raffi

Rough_Rock
Hello festivities,

I'm no expert, but I've been shopping for an Asscher for a while and thought I'd give you my opinion. A 1.5 carat, G, SI1 for 3,000. does not seem very likely. I suggest you do a search on the PS homepage for what you're looking for. That should give you a good idea of what you should expect to pay. Also, I've been to ten local jewelers and found that most of them are considerably more expensive than internet vendors. With that in mind, a 1.1 carat, D, VS2 for 3,700 seems like a really good deal. So good that I'd be a little suspicious. I'd be sure to read all the educational information on this site before making a purchase. Like I said, I'm no expert. Maybe you've found a good deal on a nice diamond. I don't mean to discourage you from buying the diamond you've seen, just be sure you're making an educated purchase. Be careful if you decide to go down to SI1 clarity with an Asscher cut. Asschers show inclusions more than brilliant cut diamonds. I purchased an SI1 Asscher that had a visible inclusion under the table of the diamond. Luckily I was able to return it for a full refund.

Look around on this site for a while, you can learn a lot.
Good luck with your diamond shopping.

Raffi

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Not likely if it is an Asscher cut diamond with any sort of a decent cut to it... The price is more like $8,775.00 for 1.50 carats, G, SI-1 give or take a nickel. Focus on quality instead of size, lots of people have big diamonds, those are only good for "Wow! That's big!" which is usually followed up in private later by "but did you see how yellow it was?" or "but did you see the size of that inclusion?" based on our experience from comments made by customers that are describing a diamond owned by a friend...

However well cut diamonds which offer a higher degree of visual performance are always described as beautiful, sparkly, full of fire. Quality is always better than quantity in our minds.

festivities

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for the advice! I did go with a small carat size (1.0 vs. 1.50)and higher quality as you recommended and am very happy with the decision. I can upgrade later, right?! The ring is supposed to arrive tommorrow! I can't wait!

martin_bill

Rough_Rock
Can someone please explain what is particularly good about an Asscher cut? I'm thinking of going with a round, but it seems like people like the Asscher better, and I'm not really sure why. Thanks!

Bill

jenny

Rough_Rock
I totally used to want an ascher cut because they were so clean and simple, beautifully cut but then i noticed that they don't sparkle at all. well they do but they only have like 50-70 facets and all the other cuts had so many more hence more sparkle!! i ended up w/ a brilliant radiant, so i still have the simplicity of a square and the sparkle of a round! jmo!

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Asscher cuts have the look of a Square Ec.diamond,the only thing that you have to consider is that they look smaller then their size,therefore if you are concerned with a big look you might want to purchase a bigger size asscher cut or a smaller round,As far as getting one for $3000.00 in a 1.50cts. in that high of a color, I doubt that you can find
it the only suggestion I have is for you to drop in color
and maybe mount it in yellow gold with a white head.

good luck

festivities

Rough_Rock
Dear Bill,

Search this site for the REAL Asscher cuts (vintage Asscher cut and new Royal Asscher cut). You can go directly to the Asscher company: www.asscher.com or something similar and there's lots of great info on this site too. There is a BIG difference between a real Asscher cut and an emerald square step which is commonly mis-advertised today as an Asscher cut. Asscher is a registered trademark from the Asscher family. Lots of companies advertise "Asscher" cuts for sale, but it can't really and truly be an Asscher cut if it isn't cut by the Asscher company or one of their verified cutters. It's common for companies to advertise Asscher cuts that are really emerald square steps. From all that I have recently learned, I am completely schocked that they are not all being sued by the Asscher company for trademark infringement!

If I could have afforded an Asscher I would have bought one. I got an emerald square step instead.

Real Asscher cuts should have all the sparkle you want. If you want to give you fiancee a cut that is unlike no other, this could just be the one for you. Round just can't compare!

Be prepared to pay for it and if you buy online, make sure you have someone qualified look at the stone first. Also, VIP - no matter what you choose, make sure you are getting a quality cut! There is a whole section here offering companies who handle appraisals. I should have used these services BEFORE I purchased my ring. Square step or other!

Annie

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Bill, a true Asscher has the look of concentric octagons all the way to its heart, created a deep, pool-like effect. It really is very different from a generic square emerald.

However, a step cut diamond is not going to sparkle like a brilliant cut no matter what. I'm an emerald cut lover, and what I value in my EC is not sparkle but a certain icy clarity, depth, and elegance. A well-cut EC will sparkle, but it would be like comparing the looke of a mirror to a disco ball. That said, an Asscher is designed to provide more light return than an EC, but again, any step-cut give a different look and what you choose is a matter of personal preference.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results