shape
carat
color
clarity

Advise please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

utor

Rough_Rock
Hi all I''m new to the forum and just need some advise on a diamond. I''ve read up on diamond buying and when shopping for a diamond i was set on a GIA cert. But after looking at a few stones i came across a nice gemscan diamond. I know gemscan isnt thought highly off on these forums, but I''m thinking its a good find. It comes with the usual precert , but I''ve requested a detailed report from gemscan to get a better idea if its worth it.
This is what i know so far:

Ct: 1.51
Cut: Ideal
Clarity: SI2
Color: H
Sym: very good

-the stone is eyeclean and pretty brilliant

Asking price is 8K which is good if the specs are accurate and everything else looks good when the detailed report comes in.
The only problem is if I trust Gemscans grading. Some people say avoid them like the plague, but others say you can get a good deal beacuse they are marked down. I''ve read that gemscan grades color less strictly, but how about clarity?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can''t say anything about the cut unless you provide crown/pavillion angles. Can you add these? Does the diamond come with an excellent return policy? If so, you could take it to an independent appraiser to make sure everything matches the specs. If the specs are accurate the price is very fair. If the specs don''t match, then you have to take that into consideration when looking at whether it is a good deal or not. If it doesn''t come with an excellent return policy I''d buy elsewhere.

utor

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply. The cut details will come when the detailed report comes in. I''ll post it when i get it. Will H color affect the brilliance of the diamond very much? I''ts pretty much still near colorless right?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2008 11:29:02 PM
Author: utor
Thanks for the reply. The cut details will come when the detailed report comes in. I''ll post it when i get it. Will H color affect the brilliance of the diamond very much? I''ts pretty much still near colorless right?
Color is secondary when determining light performance and H is completely fine. It''s really all about cut and how well the diamond is cut that affects sparkle!

utor

Rough_Rock
I feel a bit better about the stone now....anyone else have advise??

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/14/2008 1:07:55 AM
Post the rest of the info when you have it, then we will have a better idea.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/14/2008 1:07:55 AM
Sure! The H color should be white and beautiful. My biggest advice is don''t get excited and jump the gun before all the info comes in. Just before I found pricescope I underestimated the importance of crown and pavilion angles and bought a poorly cut stone. And my stone was a GIA "triple excellent". Once all that info comes in you''ll have lots of people tell you how it looks. Good luck!

utor

Rough_Rock
Has anyone had positive experiences with Gemscan? Can I trust their report?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results