shape
carat
color
clarity

Advise on setting for 4ct round Diamond

DiamondBaby

Shiny_Rock
This Diamond is on order for me, thanks to @DejaWiz and @Kim N for the help with this.

My first ‘go to’ for the setting is a 6 prong Tiffany style setting, platinum and platinum band.

I am a Size 8, P.

At the moment this will be worn with just a wedding ring, a 2mm platinum band, I have a 4mm that can be worn with it, both Benchmark spaces Diamond and scattered Diamond bands in platinum, but I want to add a 5-7 stone, (about .5ct each Diamond) band to it in time. My Jeweller said he can design and set it so that the second Diamond band can sit with it well, he essentially designs 2 rings, and is making one now.

My question is, are there another options that I should consider before I go down this road? If you have any pictures with similar size diamonds that would be lovely.
Thanks!

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
I would just keep in mind that a 4 carat is quite large in width, because of this, the circumference is going to stick out much further than the shank making it more challenging for a wedding band to sit comfortably next to it. If you’re ok with that, then I don’t see a problem with a diamond band, but I’d be aware that you’ll have increased rubbing against the 4 carat’s basket, unless you set it quite high off the finger.

This Diamond is on order for me, thanks to @DejaWiz and @Kim N for the help with this.

My first ‘go to’ for the setting is a 6 prong Tiffany style setting, platinum and platinum band.

I am a Size 8, P.

At the moment this will be worn with just a wedding ring, a 2mm platinum band, I have a 4mm that can be worn with it, both Benchmark spaces Diamond and scattered Diamond bands in platinum, but I want to add a 5-7 stone, (about .5ct each Diamond) band to it in time. My Jeweller said he can design and set it so that the second Diamond band can sit with it well, he essentially designs 2 rings, and is making one now.

My question is, are there another options that I should consider before I go down this road? If you have any pictures with similar size diamonds that would be lovely.
Thanks!

DiamondBaby

Shiny_Rock
I would just keep in mind that a 4 carat is quite large in width, because of this, the circumference is going to stick out much further than the shank making it more challenging for a wedding band to sit comfortably next to it. If you’re ok with that, then I don’t see a problem with a diamond band, but I’d be aware that you’ll have increased rubbing against the 4 carat’s basket, unless you set it quite high off the finger.

Thanks breanne,
Your ring is beautiful by the way!
So even you would think wearing it with the wider, 4mm, wedding bands I would struggle to add a 5-7 stone ring with it? Especially at the size I was looking at??
The CAD drawings will start next week, the Jeweller will have the stone on Monday. His initial plan was to set it as low as he could without it touching the shank, so it’s not overly high on my hand. But should I consider going higher to accommodate the future ring?
I don’t think my thin band will work then if that’s the case.
And possibly the bigger one too wide. It’s fairly substantial.

IMG_9413.jpeg IMG_9416.jpeg IMG_9414.jpeg IMG_9415.jpeg

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
What millimetre are you going for in the Tiffany style? The thinner it is, the harder it will be to get a wedding band next to it as the diamond will project further out from the sides.

Thanks breanne,
Your ring is beautiful by the way!
So even you would think wearing it with the wider, 4mm, wedding bands I would struggle to add a 5-7 stone ring with it? Especially at the size I was looking at??
The CAD drawings will start next week, the Jeweller will have the stone on Monday. His initial plan was to set it as low as he could without it touching the shank, so it’s not overly high on my hand. But should I consider going higher to accommodate the future ring?
I don’t think my thin band will work then if that’s the case.
And possibly the bigger one too wide. It’s fairly substantial.

IMG_9413.jpeg IMG_9416.jpeg IMG_9414.jpeg IMG_9415.jpeg

DiamondBaby

Shiny_Rock
What millimetre are you going for in the Tiffany style? The thinner it is, the harder it will be to get a wedding band next to it as the diamond will project further out from the sides.

Probably given the size of the stone, 3mm max 3.5mm but I’d like to avoid that if I can.

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
Probably given the size of the stone, 3mm max 3.5mm but I’d like to avoid that if I can.

You'll have better results with a thicker shank as it allows more space to push the wedding band away, I'd certainly ask for a wax mold of the solitaire so you can try it on with other wedding bands. Then you'll have a better idea,

As you can see from mine, which is a 3 carat, the wedding band abuts the basket, if that wedding band had diamonds, it would heavily impacted the platinum on the solitaire's basket. Now with a 4 carat, which is even wider, you'll have a harder time, so if you do go 3mm for the solitaire's width, you may be able to push the basket away further from the wedding band. But again, def get a wax mold if this is something that will bother you.

Attachments

• IMG_2432.png
    IMG_2432.png
    757.1 KB · Views: 43
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results