carat
color
clarity

Advise on setting a zircon

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Folks!

So after much brainwashing from my husband, I resisted going green, picked up a pink zircon from Jeff Davies and have a vision of making this ring in rose gold.

760451943_o__92176.1457475700.1280.1280.jpg

It will take about 1ct worth of diamond meelee (10 pieces) to replicate this exact look and cost a certain amount.

Alternatively I can commission a ring that costs $600 less with 0.6 cts of diamond melee and the melee will be smaller. It'll look pretty but not like the ring in the picture.

So my thoughts are (very random thoughts):

*I can NEVER afford a pink diamond and I really like the sparkle of a zircon so I'd like a really nice pink ring (and so would the husband).
*Zircons are brittle and I'm scared to spend the bigger price and then chip the stone one day
*For $600 I could buy another nice stone!
*I do like bigger melee
*Do I really want to spend that much on a coloured stone ring?
*Why bother making a ring if it's not going to be fabulous?
*Hubby would like something fabulous because he loves pink and rose gold so might as well do something to let him oogle at it.

Any wise thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I personally think you should get what you want. If you are undecided and need input, that's one thing, but getting what your husband wants instead of what you want is going to leave you longing for something else.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just can't decide! I think I would like both types of melee *wails*

I love halos and most halos make me happy *sigh*

I think I feel a bit guilty about spending so much on a zircon setting.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just can't decide! I think I would like both types of melee *wails*

I love halos and most halos make me happy *sigh*

I think I feel a bit guilty about spending so much on a zircon setting.
I can completely relate to your thinking in the first post! I say you get the 1ct setting because it will be more satisfying to you in the end. I particularly agree with the desire to make it truly fabulous. I say wait a bit longer to get the next thing instead of getting more things in less expensive settings because the older one gets, the more we tend to have expensive taste in jewelry due to growing exposure to fine things. Also, with age, jewelry should become a bit bigger IMO. A 600 difference will come out on in the wash of things and the extra luscious ness of the ring will be worth every penny.
Zircons do sometimes chip, but even then they are still beautiful. You can always repolish or replace the stone, and then you have a great setting worthy of the effort.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Abrasion concerns me more than chipping when it comes to zircon.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Abrasion concerns me more than chipping when it comes to zircon.

Have you ever experienced it first hand chrono?

Is it the sort of stone that will scratch if you scrape your ring against say a brick wall by accident?

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can completely relate to your thinking in the first post! I say you get the 1ct setting because it will be more satisfying to you in the end. I particularly agree with the desire to make it truly fabulous. I say wait a bit longer to get the next thing instead of getting more things in less expensive settings because the older one gets, the more we tend to have expensive taste in jewelry due to growing exposure to fine things. Also, with age, jewelry should become a bit bigger IMO. A 600 difference will come out on in the wash of things and the extra luscious ness of the ring will be worth every penny.
Zircons do sometimes chip, but even then they are still beautiful. You can always repolish or replace the stone, and then you have a great setting worthy of the effort.

You are a wise lady!

My bargain $800 sapphire has served me well for 4 years now and it's a fabulous ring especially during the toddler wrangling years (it's pretty and hardy). But I'm a wee bit bored of whipping out the same pink stone ring whenever I want a touch of pink jewellry. I want one more piece of pink and fabulous!

I'm still on the lookout for a jade but I going to wait until I at least fly to asia and look around a bit more as I'm now 100% sure that I can do better than what is on offer here.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You will get the below from normal wear.
8054.jpg

A visit with the wall will be far worse.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh dear.

Is that everyday wear or just once in a while?

They sparkle so and hit such a nice price point! I'm in love with my new one.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love the color of pink zircons! They are very pretty stones and the closest look you can get to an intense pink diamond. If you plan it in a ring, maybe you would like to consider placing a bezel around the stone (maybe rose gold) then place the halo? Unless the ring will be for parties or special occasions, a bezel can protect it better if you intend for daily wear.

I had a blue zircon in my bag (super soft leather but had stuffs inside), and the gem jar opened and the stone fell inside my bag (I got the zircon and forgot to take it out of my bag). A part of the pavilion chipped so I had to have a cutter repair it. Talk about chipping before even being set! Oh well.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh cripes @Seaglow! Did it hit stuff in your bag or did just the scraping against the bag chip it?

Unfortunately the one thing that I'm sure of in this life is that I do not care for bezels. At all. Ever!!!!!! :D

I'd wear it on a date or out with the girls so not everyday where.

*Will now be extremely paranoid about my blue zircon, looks around shiftily*

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Nothing hard on my bag but maybe the clasp of my wallet or a dropped coin at the bottom. So maybe that did it. It will definitely glam you up then!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go for the larger diamond size. You sound like that's what your heart wants (while your head is being all logical and crap :P2). You're going to wear it for ages so you might as well love it.

I can't tell you how much I've spent on my colored ring collection. Seriously, it's scary. :shock: But it makes me happy so I do it anyway. In my opinion, colored gems are more interesting than diamonds. I can match things to my outfits and pick the color that makes me happy each day. I don't get that feeling from my diamonds. To get to the point, if you love it (colored stone or not) you should make the ring exactly the way you want. I'm pretty sure there's a large thread here about inexpensive stones in expensive settings so you'll be in excellent company. :dance:

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OK.....I've gone to the 'above the chest' theory for zircon's. Pendant's or earrings only, as I know that I can be careful, but it's that one moment when you clunk the car door, or clunk some other immovable object that causes heartache........have you given any thought to setting in a pendant? Maybe pairing with earrings? Also, husbands love to oogle pendants on their sweetheart..............

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahhh see I'm notorious for being lazy about my necklaces. I have a bunch of necklaces (including the cutest platypus pendant) I barely wear because I'm always rushing and don't remember to put them on.

Just as a side note what inexpensive coloured stone is hardy?

@elle_71125 I've drooled over all your rings!!!!! Are the gems you've picked tough? Hehe I'm running around doing research now but I love that zircon aiii much I'm trying to talk myself into it being ok in a ring lol

Anyone know if say in 10 years and I wreck the stone, in a setting like that will I be able to remove the stone easily and replace it?

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahhh see I'm notorious for being lazy about my necklaces. I have a bunch of necklaces (including the cutest platypus pendant) I barely wear because I'm always rushing and don't remember to put them on.

@elle_71125 I've drooled over all your rings!!!!! Are the gems you've picked tough? Hehe I'm running around doing research now but I love that zircon aiii much I'm trying to talk myself into it being ok in a ring lol

Anyone know if say in 10 years and I wreck the stone, in a setting like that will I be able to remove the stone easily and replace it?
I think it would not be hard to remove or replace the stone. Also, you could get it insured. This is not an inexpensive stone, but natural pink topaz is lovely and is more durable, but does have a clevage plain. And ofcourse the light pink spinels and sapphires. Some crysoberyls are not expensive, (though not pink) and a very durable.

Last edited:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Nope. I buy them because I love them. I think tourmaline is the softest I have right now (zircon is on the list though) and I try to be careful with them. I still wear them all constantly though...even my paraiba (which is pretty included). :mrgreen2:

If something happens to it, you should be able to replace it. You may need one custom cut, if it's not a calibrated size but that's not too bad. There have been a lot of zircon rings on here and I haven't heard any horror stories yet. :D

As for hardy stones, chrysoberyl is pretty tough as well as spinel. You can find relatively inexpensive options in both. I want a nice rhodochrosite but I'll probably never get one because they are too soft.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope. I buy them because I love them. I think tourmaline is the softest I have right now (zircon is on the list though) and I try to be careful with them. I still wear them all constantly though...even my paraiba (which is pretty included). :mrgreen2:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE your Paraiba!
How soft are Paraiba's meant to be?

I know what you mean about buying them because you love them. I just have this vision of a dusty pink zircon, set in rose gold with a healthy halo! I LOVED the sparkle in my blue zircon. I'll just keep it away from brick walls! The peridot has done well and I've been wearing it to the the playground!

If only zircons were as hardy as diamonds or sapphires! I have gotten so much attention for mine as sparkly well cut coloured stones are not common where I am. I really dig that sparkle!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE LOVE LOVE your Paraiba!
How soft are Paraiba's meant to be?

I know what you mean about buying them because you love them. I just have this vision of a dusty pink zircon, set in rose gold with a healthy halo! I LOVED the sparkle in my blue zircon. I'll just keep it away from brick walls! The peridot has done well and I've been wearing it to the the playground!

If only zircons were as hardy as diamonds or sapphires! I have gotten so much attention for mine as sparkly well cut coloured stones are not common where I am. I really dig that sparkle!

I'm not sure how soft paraiba's are but they are tourmaline so I'd guess 7 to 7.5 on the moh scale. I'm not as educated on gemstones as many of the OG's here. :whistle:

I can honestly say that I don't know a single person, where I live, that wears or even knows anything about colored gemstones (besides the stuff you see in retail stores).:confused2: It's all diamonds all the time. :-o:lol: I think that's why so many people like going to the PS get togethers...you just aren't going to see that many gorgeous sparklies anywhere else (diamond & colored gemstones). It's nice to be different!

That pink zircon will look amazing with a blingy halo...go for it!!! :twisted2:

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Do you plan on building a CS collection for some time to come? Or are you happy with just a few signature pieces?

If the latter, go for broke and splurge on the halo.

If the former (that's me), I'd be more circumspect and careful with settings as they run up quite a bit. Personal thing but I'd rather splurge on the stone first.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_4009.JPG So exciting a pink zircon!
I love zircons and mine hold up perfectly. There is no damage at all. However I alternate several rings and try to be careful when wearing them (although I wear them all day long). Here is my 'oldest' zircon from 2014
IMG_4010.JPG

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you plan on building a CS collection for some time to come? Or are you happy with just a few signature pieces?

If the latter, go for broke and splurge on the halo.

If the former (that's me), I'd be more circumspect and careful with settings as they run up quite a bit. Personal thing but I'd rather splurge on the stone first.

Right now I've only got a few things. Haha I wouldn't say no to more pieces but the reality is that we probably can't afford it.

Typing this out has made me realise I want a big bold pink. Most of any money I have will go to greens in the future I suspect!

Lucky I've got stuff from PSers to oogle at!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aiii I can't decide still! I want big diamonds in the halo one day and then I see rings with pretty smaller halos and think they look really pretty as well.

Nothing to add except to whine about my very first world problems!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update! I decided on the smaller halo. I kept looking at the stone and lots of other designs. In the end it is quite a large stone and I didn't want the diamond melee to overtake the stone. I saw a few rings where the melee was a nice border to highlight the stone which is what I wanted so went with the smaller halo.

I didn't get diamonds on the shank this time but I'm thinking about it for my next project!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's going to look beautiful either way. I can't wait to see it. :D

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The pink will pack enough of a punch without bigger diamonds.

Hope you get it soon and pics please!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Setting or not setting a zircon into a ring will be a personal preference of sorts. If you do it, just don't loupe it often and enjoy it is kind of the motto. (basically use common sense when enjoying your ring. don't wear it when doing dishes, yard work, to the gym or heavy exercises.) I have blue set, but I also refuse to loupe it. Its a beautiful stone, its very sparkly, so I don't worry about it.

If you're the type to loupe your stones all the time, don't get a zircon, you will make yourself nuts.

I like the idea of smaller melee, that way your stone is the star.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
20171116_100922.jpg
20171116_112005.jpg
20171116_112039.jpg

It's here!!!!! And I LOVE IT!!!!!!! The pictures don't so it justice but it is SOOOOO gorgeous in real life! I am really glad I went with the cheaper option! The stone is big enough without giant diamonds added to the mix.

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
20171116_100922.jpg
20171116_112005.jpg
20171116_112039.jpg

It's here!!!!! And I LOVE IT!!!!!!! The pictures don't so it justice but it is SOOOOO gorgeous in real life! I am really glad I went with the cheaper option! The stone is big enough without giant diamonds added to the mix.
Wow!! Your ring is gorgeous!! It looks like quite the sparklebomb.

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What a great choice! Your ring is gorgeous and I can imagine the sparkle! Enjoy!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results