shape
carat
color
clarity

Advise on 6ct !!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

abbott

Shiny_Rock
Please advise on the following stone. Price $48,000 (starting price)
GIA report:
Caret: 6.01
Measurement: 11.82 x 12.09 x 6.95
Depth: 58.1
Table: 65
Girdle: M - TH
Culet: Small
Polish: EX
Sym: Good
Grade: SI 1... (jeweler thinks it''s a VS2 is going to send to GIA for reappraisal)
Color I
Fluor: None

How difficult would it be to get the sarin report on this diamond??
Please give any and all advise, good and bad... Thanks!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
WOW a 6ct! Nice.

The table is very large on this stone. It could possibly qualify for a Brilliant Ideal Cut where the table is larger and depth is shallow, but this table is huge at 65. This stone could have a dark area under the table or have a fish-eye, both would most likely be pretty visible in a stone of this size. A well cut 6c stone would have dimensions around 11.9mm for diameter with a depth of around 7.20mm. Yours has a depth of 6.95mm and a diameter up to 12.09mm which definitely means this stone has larger spread and a shallower depth. The stone probably looks larger than a 6c stone which is nice, but you want to make sure that the extra visual diameter does not hinder other aspects of the stone's performance (e.g. light return) or create the fish eye or similar. The Sarin will help you determine this.

Also--and this may be normal for a stone of this size, but the range on the diameter is really large. If you are talking 11.82 up until 12.09 that means that the stone is FAR from being perfectly round. While alot of stones are not perfectly round, thats not a huge deal, but it may mean poor symmetry, and I note that the symmetry on the stone is ranked as 'Good'. Symmetry plays a huge part in the stone looking the best it can. Hopefully someone else can comment on the diameter range? Maybe I am just paranoid
1.gif

If you want to consider this stone, DEFINITELY get a Sarin. It shouldn't be difficult, esp if you are talking about spending $50k!

Also--have you seen the stone in person? Can you see any inclusions? I ask because SI1 in a 6c stone may have some eye visible inclusions. It may not, but the larger the stone, the more possibility that you will notice something with your naked eye in an SI grading. However if its GIA...then you may be fine...and if the jeweler thinks its VS2, then again...you may be fine.

Get the Sarin, you can also then use the angles to run through the HCA to see what its thoughts are on this stone. My stone is a BIC with a table of 61.4 and depth of 56.9 and the HCA gives it a 2.8, but in person my stone is amazing. I think the BIC stones are under represented on the HCA...so if you do get a Sarin and it comes back with a score around a 3...chances are its still a nice stone. But do get more info on the fish eye or dark table, and the SI1/eye-clean also.

Good luck!!

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
A 6ct diamond is only too big if somebody else is wearing it !
1.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
It shouldn't be that difficult for the dealer to get a Sarin report on the stone, and I'd highly recommend it for a purchase of this importance.

The diameter of the stone varies .27 mm (2.3%), which means that it is moderately to significantly out-of-round. That affects the cut quality grading, but might not have that big an effect on the visual impact of the stone. Once mounted, it probably wouldn't be tremendously obvious.

My gut instinct is that the stone is probably a class 3 make (3A or 3B, probably 3B, see http://www.gemappraisers.com/chrt1.htm), which is a "good" (3A) or "fair to good" (3B) commercial make. Probably 80 something percent of diamonds fall in this category, or lower. A perfectly respectable, and often great looking, "middle of the road" cut. We'll know better once you get the Sarin report, or a gemologist's assessment of crown/pavilion height/angles.

If it is a class 3 make, the price is in the right ballpark. A good starting point, that indicates the dealer is not out to hose you. I'm glad it's got GIA certification, because it means that you can count on the grading being conservative.

slmulkey

Shiny_Rock
Wow, that's huge! Just out of curiousity, what do you plan to do with this diamond? And please, post pictures if you decide on this, or a similarly huge diamond. Thanks!

abbott

Shiny_Rock
My wedding band is a 2.05ct round on a band of princess cut diamonds. I will wear for "everyday" or to work. My "dream" diamond.. 5+ caret.. I plan to wear whenever and wherever and I assure you I will be HAPPY!!! I have a passion for diamonds and I am looking to trade a 2.5+ caret diamond on my dream diamond. My choice will be a princess or another round. My hubby thinks I should go with a princess since I already have a nice round and oval. Abbott

abbott

Shiny_Rock
Mara, What is a BIC??

abbott

Shiny_Rock
Mara... Must have gone to sleep... brilliant ideal cut... bic.. Oops!!!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 3/30/2003 11:57:21 AM Iceman wrote:

A 6ct diamond is only too big if somebody else is wearing it !
1.gif

----------------

Hey, this is my quote......except.....

It's only tacky if your *not* the one wearing it!

You go girl! Hey, aren't you the one who started the lengthy thread on the investment status of diamonds?

Also, I'm with the others. Stone seems out of round & proportions don't look great. Be patient, with this kind of purchase you really need to go slow......especially if you are looking for it to hold value.

abbott

Shiny_Rock
YESSSSSSSSSSS... I'm the one who started the forum about "investment"... I loved all the responses, especially the response that said something about that I was not so much interested in "investment" as I was trying to justify spending alot of $$!!! Sometimes... men can figure us women out!! I'm still looking for my diamond... Abbott

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 3/30/2003 1:17:33 PM abbott wrote:

YESSSSSSSSSSS... I'm the one who started the forum about "investment"... I loved all the responses, especially the response that said something about that I was not so much interested in "investment" as I was trying to justify spending alot of $$!!! Sometimes... men can figure us women out!! I'm still looking for my diamond... Abbott
----------------

Hey, that was me who outed you! ...having gone through working out the guilt this summer!

edited to say "guilt & not quilt". I must have been talking on a cell phone.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
I should start a thread on the "psychological investment" of a diamond.

The "psychological investment" that a man makes in his loved one when he purchases it for her, the "psychological return" a woman gets when wearing a fine diamond (or a man, for that matter).

For the woman who's received such a symbol of affection from her loved one, she sees his love mirrored a thousand times within it's reflections. She thinks of him every time someone compliments the stone. She feels good that somebody thought enough of her to make such a monetary sacrifice totally to please her.

She has thousands of moments of pleasure throughout the days, weeks and years admiring this miniature work of art and fine craftsmanship.

From a man's point of view (and a woman's), there's a satisfaction which comes with wearing a one of nature's most beautiful, rare and valuable creations. It's a reminder of the financial success and security achieved through diligent pursuits in life.

The most concentrated form of wealth known to mankind (with the exception of plutonium), diamonds are a psychological symbol of success, instantly recognizable the world over. A man wearing a tasteful 3 carat diamond ring and a Rolex President is going to be taken seriously in most business settings. An instant image of success is subliminally conveyed, regardless of the observor's viewpoint regarding wardrobe accessories.

What am I forgetting? Anybody else have any observations regarding the "psychological investment" of diamonds?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
My guy remarked that it was worth the $$ to keep me 'endlessly entertained and amused' (and out of his hair!). We amortized the cost of the stone over 10 years of entertainment and amusement (that is how long before I will will start to covet an upgrade!!) and it looks like a great investment. It works out to around $2.73 per day. Cheaper than a movie, book or dinner, and available anytime I want for viewing.
9.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 3/30/2003 3:48
6.gif
9 PM Mara wrote:

My guy remarked that it was worth the $$ to keep me 'endlessly entertained and amused' (and out of his hair!). We amortized the cost of the stone over 10 years of entertainment and amusement (that is how long before I will will start to covet an upgrade!!) and it looks like a great investment. It works out to around $2.73 per day. Cheaper than a movie, book or dinner, and available anytime I want for viewing.
9.gif

----------------

So...then the amort process begins again?
9.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 3/30/2003 2:47:50 PM Richard Sherwood wrote:

I should start a thread on the "psychological investment" of a diamond.

She has thousands of moments of pleasure throughout the days, weeks and years admiring this miniature work of art and fine craftsmanship.

From a man's point of view (and a woman's), there's a satisfaction which comes with wearing a one of nature's most beautiful, rare and valuable creations. It's a reminder of the financial success and security achieved through diligent pursuits in life.

What am I forgetting? Anybody else have any observations regarding the "psychological investment" of diamonds?

----------------

I, too, view diamonds as little works of art - in essence - sculpture.

And, you have hit the nail on the head with your second statement. It is a reminder of hard work to be able spend $ comfortably on such a luxury item. I'm not a conspicuos consumer. Jeans suit me fine. Diamonds intrigue me.

lots of psychological investment here.

I hope Abbott doesn't mind us posting all this on her thread. Abbott, keep your questions coming.

abbott

Shiny_Rock
I love the free advise. It would cost me a bundle to get this type of therapy from a shrink or... a an analysis from a financial advisor.. My only request is that if someone knows of a good quality diamond in need of a good home... I'm willing to take in the "homeless"...Funny story... once I bought a diamond from a broker and before we finalized the deal.. he had to confess to me that the diamond was from a broken engagement.. That really doesn't bother me.. Would you not buy a house from someone getting a divorce?? Abbott

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Actually it's not that easy to get a Sarin on a 6ct diamond. Most Sarins' can only measure up to 4-5ct or so. Only last week did we get a Sarin to measure stones this big. It may not be as easy as you think but with that kind of investment you DEFINETELY SHOULD get AT LEAST a Sarin done not to mention optical analysis. If you'd like one done contact me.

Peace,
Rhino

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results