shape
carat
color
clarity

advise needed

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mikey26

Rough_Rock
I need advise on a diamond (loose) that i came across at a jewelry store in the san francisco bay area

gia certified

emerald (almost square)
6.86 x 6.5 x 3.75
1.4 carat
color: d
clarity: v.v.s.2.
depth: 57.7%
table: 68%
girdle: medium to slighty thick
culet: none
polish: good
symmetry: good
fluorescence: none
comments: none
price $8300

below the comment section , there was a sticker with additional measurements

width 6.49 mm length: 6.86 l/w: 1.06
depth 3.7mm 57.0%
crown 35.3'' 9.4%
pavil 55.1'' 44.9%
table 4.42mm
culet 5.2%
girdle 2.7% (2.6-2.9)%
(i typed the above information exactly as it appears)

i''m really unclear what the '' means next to some of the numbers. i know i should be concerned with the depth and crown height percentage, but it appears that the crown angle , 35.3, and pavillion angle, 44.9, appear to be within reason. could i be reading the measurements wrong? all help would be appreciated in regards to if this is a reasonable price for the stone

thank you very much
unsure in walnut creek
mikey

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry I can't help on determining if this is a good stone or not as I don't know much about Emeralds..but I wanted to recommend that if you purchase this stone (or another) that you visit Nancy Stacy, an independent appraiser in Walnut Creek and have your final purchase appraised. We used her for our stone. She is a great older lady, very blunt and up front with her opinions. She is a conservative grader, meaning she doesn't pad your appraisal for retail purposes, and she tells it exactly how she sees it. She has been in the biz for 30+ years and helps GIA train new appraisers, kinda cool. She works out of a home office in Walnut Creek. She's pretty busy so I would definitely call to schedule an appt if you are close to purchasing a stone, we found her report to be invaluable as it confirmed our GIA certificate, and also we got more info that was not available on the report, close ups of the stone, brilliance reports. We also got our stone GemPrinted for an extra $40.

Good luck!

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Hi Mikey,

Do you like tha shape of this diamond? I ask you this because it's not square, neither rectangular.
crown 35.3' 9.4% ----> Crown height is 9.4% and the angle 35.3'
pavil 55.1' 44.9% ----> Pavilion depth is 44.9% and the angle 55.1'
The stone sounds a bit shallow, and so is the crown (I prefer stones with 11-16% crowns), the table is right sized, so I'd say it's a good cut
1.gif
Is the stone good looking to your eyes? Have you seen/checked a reasonable number of other possibilities?
Let us know!!! Good luck!

Giangi

mikey26

Rough_Rock
Mara and Giagi:

Mara: thank you about the info regarding stacy in walnut creek. i will seek her advise for sure

Giangi: my girlfiend and i looked at about 10 stones at derco and simayof. i know that the stone is not square (i prefer the square and my girlfriend prefers the slight deviation.....go figure). i know that an emerald cut does not shine as well as the others (princess, radiant),but she likes being able to look inside the stone. we compared five emeralds next to each other and my girlfriend and i both felt that the above mentioned stone "shined the best" even though the depth and table percentages were better on the other stones. although i could not notice, my girlfriend said she could see dead spots in the other stones. as a result, she is happy with the above stone. since i am not a good judge of being able to look at a diamond, i am more concerned with the numbers. however, my girlfiend is primary concerned with the appearance from her own eyes rather than using any number. i know she will like the diamond, but i just don't want to be taken advantage of based on my ignorance

thanks for your replies
mikey

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Dear Mikey,

You're not being taken... The stone is very nicely cut, plus it has an excellent color grade and clarity
1.gif
! As for your ignorance... You've been bright enough to find this site, so you're not clueless
9.gif
!!!

Giangi

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results