shape
carat
color
clarity

Advise needed on diamond purchase

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TJH2O

Rough_Rock
I have been looking at diamonds for over 7 months and I am finally ready to make a purchase so I am looking for some professional advise regarding a few diamonds.

#1 .78ct I SI1; Depth 60.4%; Table 56%; Crown Angle 34.7;
Crown % 15.3; Pavilion Angle 40.9; Pavilion % 42.9; Cutlet
Pointed; AGS-000; Girdle 1.0
Price $2589

#2 .74ct H VS2; Table % 56; Depth % 60.3; Crown Angle ° 34.8;
Crown % 15.2; Pavilion Angle ° 40.8; Pavilion % 43.1; Cutlet
Pointed; AGS-000; Girdle 1.3
Price $3027

#3 .78ct H VS1; Table % 55.6; Depth % 61.9; Crown Angle ° 34.3;
Crown % 15.0; Pavilion Angle ° 40.8; Pavilion % 43.0; Cutlet
1.3%; AGS-000; Girdle 1.5; BrillanceScope scores of VH for
all three ratings
Price $3110

Thanks for all of your help,
Thomas McLaughlin

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
The three stones sound pretty good, the last one seems to be "a little" to deep...
Are you sure of those prices? I can't believe it!
It's not expensive at all !!!
6.gif

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
ooooh sorry, I think you meen 0.74, 0.78, 0.74!
I thought 1.74, 2.78, 3.74!

Do you have an idealscope to look at the stones?
wink2.gif

TJH2O

Rough_Rock
Yes, I do mean 0.78, 0.74 and 0.78 for the stones the first two are branded "A Cut Above" diamonds the last is unbranded. Unfortunately I do not have an IdealScope to view these diamonds with. Are these prices too high?

Thomas

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
ACA are beautiful stones, but you have to pay the difference...
But the stones will never deceive you!
9.gif

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Dear Thomas,
This is the picture of your stone... (I 0.78 SI1)
I wouls buy this one because:
1) less expensive
2) 6.01-6.02 X 3.63 mm
6mm has more value, for example in some Asian countries...

naughty.gif

78-I-SI1.jpg

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Here are the results of the Holloway cut adviser...
The I-color stone will seem whiter than I-color.
12.gif

HCA.jpg

TJH2O

Rough_Rock
My concern with buying a diamond that is I in color is how colorless it will look when placed into a yellow gold setting with white gold prongs.
confused.gif
I just don't know if I would see a great deal of difference considering an I is getting close to faint yellow and some people claim SI's aren't always eye clean.

Thomas

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
sorry sorry sorry !!!
Here are the good results, I didn't use the good crown angle !!!
Regards,

0.jpg

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
SI2 are not always eye-clean, but SI1 yes, especially for a 6mm stone.
If the ring is for your wife, I would use white gold for the prongs AND for the ring, nobody will say that your stone is yellow, I promise you!
wavey.gif

TJH2O

Rough_Rock
Actually I must have posted the wrong stats for the I SI1 stone so let me try again.
Measurements (mm) 6.00-6.02 x 3.62; Table % 56; Depth % 60.2; Crown
Angle ° 34.6; Crown % 15.3; Pavilion Angle ° 40.8; Pavilion % 42.9;
Polish Ideal; Symmetry Ideal; Girdle 1.0 to 1.2; Culet Pointed
Fluorescence Inert
All of the HCA ratings are Excellent in all categories.

Thomas

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
OK!
If the rock is a true "A Cut Above", then the price is right, it can seems expensive in regard with other diamonds, but that's the price.
This stone will look colorless and eye-clean, I am sure of it.
I have to go home now, it's 17:30 here in Belgium.
Have a nice day!

TJH2O

Rough_Rock
I agree with using white gold, unfortunately she wants the ring to be yellow gold. She specifically asked me to get yellow gold instead of platinum or white gold. So right now I was just going to have it set in a yellow gold ring with 4 or 6 white gold prongs.

Thomas

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
What women want... hehehe...
No problem, the stone will look white.
I have a J-VS1 1.15 ct stone (H&A, De Beers Millenium with GIA certificate) and it looks very very white, and the fire of I-J colors is very very warm.
I would choose 4 prongs, not 6.
See U!

TJH2O

Rough_Rock
Stephan,

Thanks for all of your help.

Thomas

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
All SI1 diamonds are not created equal and some will not appear eye clean..it's definitely an objective thing depending on the eye of the viewer. They are supposed to be eye clean but grading is done by eye as well so there is room for some error at times. I have caught inclusions in SI1's with my eye...but there are truly eye clean SI1's as well. So just be sure to confirm your SI1 is really eye-clean before purchase, esp online. The vendor can probably help you with this.

Something appears to be wrong with WhiteFlash's site so I can't view the diamonds that you posted, but I wanted to note for both the original poster and Stephan that the picture he posted of the WhiteFlash ACA stone he suggested is not a picture of the actual stone, but rather a temporary SAMPLE image of a similar stone. I've fallen prey to that before as well, but do not be misled into thinking thats the picture of your particular .78c I SI1 stone.

An I color stone in a yellow gold setting can be very pretty. Keep in mind that the yellow gold setting will lend a slightly warmer tint to the stone than a plat/white gold setting will. I've seen I colored diamonds that appear pretty white face up, I think the cut also depends on it. Some say that the more super ideal cut stones will hide color better as well. Though another poster purchased a J H&A AGS000 and returned it because it was too yellow for him, he got an H instead.

I ran a quick search on WhiteFlash.Com and also found an H SI1 ACA stone .76c that is about $200 more than the I SI1 stone. Would suggest that as an option for you as well as it is still less than the $3k of the other 2 stones you posted, but it has an H color white will appear whiter face up than the I...even slightly.

Also found this USA CertEd Stone for $2700, .76 I VS1 for you to consider. Though again...if you spend the extra $$ I would go up a color grade and get a very eye clean SI1.
http://search.virtcert.com/cgi/u/1012/v.cgi?stock=794997&_s=1012&_p=sdf348gd743&_c=&_fs=1&prestock=

Hope this helps for now!
1.gif
But I do agree with Stephan that if the I SI1 checks out that it maybe a better deal than the other stones if *budget* is a strict thing for you. IF you can afford the extra $500 or even $200 I would suggest going H in color and very eye-clean SI1 or even VS2 in clarity. Good luck!

TJH2O

Rough_Rock
Hi Mara,

I talked to Lesley at Whiteflash and she confirmed that to the eye it does not look any different than a .78ct H VS2 sold just the other day and the price is almost $600 less expensive. Thanks for your help.

Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results