shape
carat
color
clarity

advise for a rookie...diamond seems a bit dark

jonathanarthurg

Rough_Rock
so i am currently looking at a gia 1.56 kvs1 round cut diamond. the cut grade is very good ,very good, very good. i really like the size of the stone and i dont see much "yellow" due to the k color. the only thing is that it seems darker then some of the smaller stones i have compaired it with. the other stones are egl. from what im learning egl is usaully below gia no matter how high they say they are. so this stone is pretty and sparkles nice but its just not as bright as the others...more blue,yellow and some white. btw there is no floro. the lighting in the store isnt that great...i figure if its not to bright in normal lighting it wont be to great in a bright room or sun light. sounds like sun makes even great stones go dark...

is gia cut grade a trusted thing?

and is very good......good? lol if that makes any sense.

should i be worried about the k color?

also im affraid once its mounted it will become even darker.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very good is actually not very good. You should look for a cut rating of "Excellent" in GIA stones.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have all the angles? GIA cut grades are very broad, some are ok, some aren't.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very good is usually not good enough.

using_IS_Reference_Chart_72.jpg

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock
Unfortunately, as others have stated... VG is no good. Don't look for anything but GIA excellent, but even then the stones have to be filtered out using the HCA tool we have here. Look it up under the tools tab.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto what the others have said about GIA very good - "go excellent or go home" ( :lol: )
Have you tried the diamond search on PS above? enter your parameters and specify AGS or GIA grading labs, with ideal/excellent for cut (you can add in polish and symmetry as well)

Look at the options this search engine provides - you can then see what your dollar online will buy for you. I'd urge you to go via a PS vendor than a local mall store....

jonathanarthurg

Rough_Rock
Ok thanks everyone. I have been looking around online and the deals seem to be a lot better. And no tax is a big plus. I was kind of affraid about online since I can't actaully see them before I buy and its a lot of money to send out. It looks like a lot of poeple do it though. Is there any highly trusted and good sites I should know about?

Another thing, gia has a top cut scale of ex. What is ideal? Is that for a diffrent grading lab?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ideal is the top score from AGS.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
Any of the vendors that advertise on pricescope are trusted vendors. More specifically, Brian Gavin Diamonds, James Allen, Good Old Gold, whiteflash, ID Jewelry, are all favorites. Use the search to find some stones or check the inhouse stones on each vendors website and check back with us for a more detailed opinion.

jonathanarthurg

Rough_Rock
Ok I will check them out. Thanks for the feed back. My budget is about 8k and am starting to wonder if a 1.5 carat is to much to ask for that. I used the calculation for the hca on one stone tht caught my eye. It came back 2.5 ex. Would that be about as good as it gets for my money? It was a 1..5 si1 j ex cut grade gia, priced at 8200.

Or on the other hand go down in size for qaulity.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results