shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice Where to Buy Small Pearl Earrings

SCARLETTE

Shiny_Rock
Hello pearl experts,
I don’t wander over here much at all. But recently, I have been looking for some quality pearl earrings for my 18 year old daughter. It’ll be her first pair of pearl earrings and she prefers her jewelry dainty. I was thinking about 4 mm or 5 mm max. I have looked at several websites but they don’t have any in this size. Please recommend reputable sites I should check out. I am thinking about getting a set (earrings, necklace, maybe ring as well). Thanks in advance!!!

empliau

Shiny_Rock
Ditto! Andrew has wonderful smaller pearls. A good option is to message on Instagram, as my experience is that he has other pearls not up on his website yet. And he's generous about explaining in detail the quality differences and nuances.

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
Hello pearl experts,
I don’t wander over here much at all. But recently, I have been looking for some quality pearl earrings for my 18 year old daughter. It’ll be her first pair of pearl earrings and she prefers her jewelry dainty. I was thinking about 4 mm or 5 mm max. I have looked at several websites but they don’t have any in this size. Please recommend reputable sites I should check out. I am thinking about getting a set (earrings, necklace, maybe ring as well). Thanks in advance!!!

I bought a small pair from Takahashi, and it was pretty straightforward.

empliau

Shiny_Rock
A warning about a dainty necklace: pearls 4-6 mm have seen significant price increases recently. Akoya are in general more expensive these days, and it seems (I am no expert, but did explore a small Akoya bracelet) that the edges of the bell curve - very small and large - have gone up the most.

I did buy a floating Akoya pendant that I'm thrilled with.

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
A warning about a dainty necklace: pearls 4-6 mm have seen significant price increases recently. Akoya are in general more expensive these days, and it seems (I am no expert, but did explore a small Akoya bracelet) that the edges of the bell curve - very small and large - have gone up the most.

I did buy a floating Akoya pendant that I'm thrilled with.

Unfortunately small pearls tend to not be THAT much cheaper than "middle range" sized pearls like 7mm ones. If you want a small-ish size necklace of the highest possible quality, I think this one is extremely attractive as an option:

GranPearl strand, 6-6.5mm for $4200.

If price is no object and you really want smaller, this is a 5.5-6mm NATURAL WHITE GRANPEARL STRAND for $6,200 (Very rare to do NW granpearl which is why it costs more):

Those are clearly at the tip-top quality range with a high price to match. If you want a more accessible small pearl strand, I would look into and perhaps reach out to TakidaPearl on instagram and Takahashi on instagram. Takida seems to specialize in smaller pearls but i've never bought from them. I love Takahashi but never explored their inventory for small pearls.

Last edited:

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi ! Check with Taka on the tiny studs. They do not have any small strands atm and don't expect any in the next couple of months. I know as I just asked about them lol

NY is correct , as we have mentioned before , the Akoya prices are currently insane. Even the wholesalers say the same thing. There is currently an enormous demand out of China. Autore told me that they weren't even making up wholesale strands as everything is selling at auction at very high prices so it's easy to just sell it all that way.

And small pearls have never been a bargain tbh , I think the expectation is that since they are little they will be cheaper .. not so at all... That said , a pair of 5-6mm AAA shouldn't break the bank either way.

Reactions: Ann
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results