shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice when working with retailers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

buyingsoon

Rough_Rock
First off, I have to let you know that this site is very impressive. I plan on buying a diamond this weekend for a local 'direct diamond importer' and wish I had found this site sooner.The dealer I am working with only has EGL certs, so I am concerned that the grading may not be as strict as GIA. I read a previous post which discussed concerns around clarity (EGL said SI2, independent said I). Should I also be concerned about EGL's color grading? I figure carot weight and dimensions can't be different from EGL to others. I am curious becuase I want to go to the dealer with the appropriate market rates.Here are the specs of the diamond I would like to pick up. I saw it online and it seemed like the best value from their selection.1.63 F Si1
table depth: 60.9%
table width: 57%
crown: 15%
pavilion depth: 43%
girdle: medium, faceted
polish, symmetry: excellent.
price: $13529Am I really getting an Si2 from a GIA standpoint. I don't want this diamond if inoculations are visible to the naked eye. My understanding is that Si1 is still invisible without loop.Also, is it reasonable to make sale conditional on independent appraisal?Thanks in advance for your advice.

buyingsoon

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the quick reply. The more I read your site, the more I am thinking that EGL might not be the way to go.I appreciate the advice on getting it recertified.As for the color question. Does platnum generally hide or enhance the difference between a E,F,G?I will do some homework on the pitfalls of ordering online. I am guessing these online dealers will send loose diamonds and I must go somewhere to get it set.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
I don't think that you will see the difference between E-G colors under normal circumstances. Note that color grading is done from pavilion. In the table up position diamond draws the colors from everywhere - lamps, clothes, hairs, walls, etc.You could see some hint of yellow starting from H-I color diamonds in platinum or white gold settings.Best of all would be to see diamonds of different colors yourself and found out what the lowest color grade you can bear.As for buying online, this page might be helpful: www.pricescope.com/isitsafe.asp.btw, many online dealers can make settings for you as well.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Buyingsoon,
smile.gif
Yes you should be more careful with EGL reports color-wise as well as everything up to fluorescence. There is more chance that the stone will be overgraded. However there were some cases that GIA and AGS reports were not accurate - humans make errors.GIA SI1 and SI2 supposed to be eye-clean and it was so in the past. However now you can find GIA graded SI1-2 where you could see inclusions with unaided eye. You can check it yourself though.Yes you better make your purchase conditional on independent appraiser. Here are two things to consider.1. If you are going to spend over $10k it might be worth to ask your vendor sending the stone to GIA or AGS. If GIA report will confirm the previous grading you are paying for it, if not your vendor should pay. It might cost you about $200 and a few weeks though.2. If you want to get third opinion on the stone, better to ask truly independent expert, i.e. the one who is not selling diamonds him/her-self.As for the setting, it seems that 4 prongs should be ok. Check this thread: www.pricescope.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000050.html Thanks for posting and kind words
smile.gif

buyingsoon

Rough_Rock
I forgot to mention, I am only looking for a H&A spec'd diamond.Also, the setting is going to be a simple 4/6 pronged platnum diamond. Does F vs. G matter when set on platnum? Any advice on 4 vs. 6 prongs on a 1.5 carrot diamond.Sorry for all the questions. I am trying to get as educated as possible before this Saturday.

moediamond

Rough_Rock
Hi Buyingsoon,I would love to help you but I can't post anything in this forum. I have all that you need. Please email me for more info, if you would like to.
Thank you.My apologies Leonid, I would hope that you can have a separate vendor forum.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Maurice,You are very welcome to contribute to this forum with education and expertise. Unfortunately I don’t see you doing that. On the contrary your last post doesn’t contain anything except unsolicited self-promotion, which is against the forum rules. I regret to tell you that this is the last request to refrain from abusing the forum rules in the future. You are leaving me no choice as to be your censor.If you have goods and services to offer, please use other forums or auction sites.Truly,
Leonid

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Vendors could utilize the direct mail ability of the site to solicit business. Replying in public is the objection, I believe. Why not reply in private?------------------
David Atlas
Accredited Gem Appraisers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results