shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice when getting a diamond set

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jkruer01

Rough_Rock
Hello all. I just got a diamond and now I need to get it set in the ring I have. I don't want the diamond to get switched on me or any of the other horror stories you read about. Does anyone have suggestions about precautions I should take? The diamond has an inscription on the girdle but I can't read it with just a loupe. I would appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Thanks.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well if it has an inscription..if you know what it says, and if its a differentiator (e.g. it doesnt just say SuperbCert H&A which probably other diamonds could have), you can have the diamond set, then when you pick it up, have the jeweler show you the inscription under a larger magnification. OR if your grading certificate for the stone (AGS/GIA etc) shows where the inclusions are, try to find them in the stone. Our stone has a little cloud off to the side of one of the girdle facets, so our appraiser said it would be easy for us to tell in the future if it was our stone. (Hah easy for her..miss hawk eyes..the stone looks flawless under 10x to me). However we don't plan on taking it to anyone but our original jeweler for maintenance anyway since he is local, so that's not really an issue. Unless we move!

Hope that helps. Others may have better ideas! :read:

Happy Holidays!

jkruer01

Rough_Rock
Thanks Mara. That is what I had in mind. The insription has a specific number on it so no other diamond will have that on it. However, I didn't know if I would be able to see the inscription after it is set. It will be a 6-prong setting. Would it be ok to ask to make sure the inscription shows between the prongs? Does anyone know how much magnification you need to be able to read an inscription like mine? I can see it with a loop but can't even come close to being able to read it. Is it fairly standard for a jeweler to have a higher power maginfier than a loupe?

Thanks.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes I think that most jewelers would have more than just a 10x loupe..I would hope so anyway. Ours has a 20x loupe-style viewer, and a 40x. When you are considering having it set, ask this as one of your qualifying questions. Also I would think that asking that the inscription be visible when set would not be an outrageous request, I am sure the jeweler will understand that you tell him that you want to be sure that OTHER jewelers are not unscrupulous in the future! :)

JayTee

Rough_Rock
Absolutely, it is a reasonable request.
When I went in to have my stone set in a 6-prong setting, that was one of the first questions the jeweler asked, "Is there an inscription?" so they can set around it properly. I did not have one on my stone, but I did have a feather on the girdle that I wanted covered up, and they took that into account and did an excellent job.

The inscription cannot generally be seen with a 10x loupe -- you will see where it is, but will not be able to read it (unless you have very sharp eyesight) :-o Jewelers usually have a 20x loupe with which you can see the inscription fairly clearly.

hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results