shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice sought on a Mark Morrell setting

CedarRapids

Shiny_Rock
I have scoured previous threads to see and learn more about Mark Morrell's settings. They have been extremely helpful. Thank you. I've also communicated with Mark. With all the information I have gathered, I'm now trying to figure out what I should do. I'd ask my GF, but she wants my choice to be a surprise. All she knows is that the ring will be a solitaire. I need help and would appreciate your insights.

My GF wants to wear a straight wedding band in the future. The Sunburst can work with a straight wedding band - the rubbing would be along the doughnut and not the prongs as seen here: http://www.mwmjewelry.com/Straight_13_diamond_Band_for_Petite_SunBurst_/

I am also intrigued by a 4-prong Sunburst, but that's neither here nor there.

So, I think I like the Torchiere (http://www.mwmjewelry.com/T_M_Torchiere/) more and without the accent diamonds. However, the prongs will abrade against a straight wedding band. Not good. Thus, some options include:

1. 6-prong Torchiere with a taller doughnut (like the Sunburst). In other words, get the prongs out of the way. I don't have a picture and limited to only my imagination right now.

2. 4-prong Torchiere. Like a lot of people, I prefer the 6-prong when viewing from top and 4-prong when viewing from the side. I don't have a picture but the head would look like the one in this picture: http://www.mwmjewelry.com/D_J_2-653ct_wed_set/

3. 6-prong Torchiere original with a custom spacer. I feel that wearing a spacer is a personal decision and I should ask my GF about that.

Some relevant background: the diamond is a 7.24 mm RB and the ring size will be 6.5.

What might you do? If you have a Torchiere, what kind of band do you wear with it?

Thanks so much!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I would go for a plain shank petite sunburst because I think it's elegant and timeless. But whatever you choose (you can't go wrong) if she does decide a spacer is needed they are available so thin they practically disappear. Good luck!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
if it is a plain metal wedding band I would think it is OK to wear with the torchiere?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
slg47|1315004903|3008659 said:
if it is a plain metal wedding band I would think it is OK to wear with the torchiere?

I was wondering that too because it looks like the band tapers in near the stone and that the wider part of the band would
hold a wedding ring off of the prongs. You might want to ask Mark about that.

If a straight band wont sit with it then my choice would be #1.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
#1. Mark can make a taller/smaller donut. I inquired about that when I was looking for settings.

CedarRapids

Shiny_Rock

I should have elaborated. The wedding band will have diamonds, but it will be a channel setting. So, no gemstones rubbing against the prongs, but potentially a hard edge depending on what we end up going with. We may ask Mark to design a straight wedder, but I don't want to make a decision assuming that.

CedarRapids

Shiny_Rock
tyty333|1315005294|3008668 said:

I was wondering that too because it looks like the band tapers in near the stone and that the wider part of the band would
hold a wedding ring off of the prongs. You might want to ask Mark about that.

If a straight band wont sit with it then my choice would be #1.

Mark is the one who said that prongs are low and would rub against a straight band. That design was not made with a straight wedding band in mind.

CedarRapids

Shiny_Rock
kelpie|1315002998|3008642 said:
I would go for a plain shank petite sunburst because I think it's elegant and timeless. But whatever you choose (you can't go wrong) if she does decide a spacer is needed they are available so thin they practically disappear. Good luck!

Thanks! I have not ruled out the Sunburst. Have to have more conversations with my GF to see if that's the direction I go in.

CedarRapids

Shiny_Rock
ame|1315008111|3008691 said:
#1. Mark can make a taller/smaller donut. I inquired about that when I was looking for settings.

That's very helpful Ame. Did you end up going with the taller Torchiere?

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
I would just call them and get their opinion. I wouldn't do he spacer unless you are sure she'd be OK with it.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
His rings are so beautiful!!! Classic but those cured lines are amazing.... :love:

CedarRapids

Shiny_Rock
centralsquare|1315016430|3008776 said:
I would just call them and get their opinion. I wouldn't do he spacer unless you are sure she'd be OK with it.

Thanks, that's good to know. I kind of suspected that the spacer thing is not for everybody. She's not a big jewelry wearer as it is, I'd have to ask her.

I had called Mark and our conversation generated the list. If I want to go with a straight wedding band and didn't want it to rub against the prongs of the Torchiere, I have the three options or just go for the Sunburst.

Neither of us have sisters :( and I don't want to ask any of our women friends right now. Besides, the Mark Morrell setting experts :read: are all on this forum!

I guess a fourth option is to not wear the wedding band and engagement ring on the same hand. Somehow, I don't see that happening with my GF.

oneam

Shiny_Rock
Premium
W/ a channel set band I don't think you have to worry about it, but I'm sure MM can modify according to any concerns you have. I love the petite versions of the Sunburst and Torchiere. The petite versions are more delicate and the center stone really pops. Also that "BT" setting on his main page is gorgeous. MM really has a way w/ the simple, sublime, perfect solitaire :love:

CedarRapids

Shiny_Rock
oneam|1315058090|3008984 said:
W/ a channel set band I don't think you have to worry about it, but I'm sure MM can modify according to any concerns you have. I love the petite versions of the Sunburst and Torchiere. The petite versions are more delicate and the center stone really pops. Also that "BT" setting on his main page is gorgeous. MM really has a way w/ the simple, sublime, perfect solitaire :love:

I agree that the BT is really nice. And it was designed to go with a straight band.

This is not the easiest decision! :???:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
CedarRapids|1315010890|3008719 said:
ame|1315008111|3008691 said:

That's very helpful Ame. Did you end up going with the taller Torchiere?
I actually ended up going with Vatche and not MWM, I kind of regret that, but the price for the MWM was way out of my budget.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results