shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice Requested : Which stone would you choose?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ez1putt

Rough_Rock
Which stone would you choose and why?

http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_26ct_f_vs2_h&a.htm
http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_18ct_e_vs2_h&a.htm

Both score very well on the HCA. I'm really looking for the "disco ball" effect. The carat weight on these is close enough that the visible size is probably minimal. I'm not hung up on passing the magical 1.25 step. Are the b-scope readings close enough that the human eye wouldn't be able to distinguish between the two?

(Jonathon --- I haven't forgotten about you!....be in touch soon)

Thanks.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Ez1putt, both are great diamonds. Ask Jonathan to eyeball them for you :)

jetcaptain

Rough_Rock
If you are going to mount whatever diamond you purchase in yellow gold, you might consider moving up in carat weight and down in color to remain within your budget. There are several excellent choices on the website you've mentioned that would accomodate this strategy, both in the current inventory and the new stones areas. As you are no doubt aware, colorless diamonds command a premium price, and if that's what you really want, then both stones you've selected are nice. But I am convinced that better values exist in the near-colorless range, particularly if you plan to surround the stone with yellow gold anyway. But even if you plan white gold or platinum, the color difference between a F-color and a H-color are very subtle, and you could probably only see a difference if you had the two stones side-by-side unmounted. Let's be honest, on a ring or in a pendant, size matters. Nobody asks about the color or clarity of a stone, only the size. If it's big and sparkly, it won't matter whether you paid $25,000 for a D-IF or $7,500 for a I-VS2, except to you and whoever you bought it from. If your circumstances will allow (in other words, if the purchase isn't a secret), I would suggest discussing the options with that special someone who you're buying this diamond for. Maybe the difference in price could be spent on the setting, instead of increasing the carat weight. Or maybe there's something completely unrelated in your lives that could use the financial attention? Anyway, I know I didn't exactly answer the question that you posed to the forum. But I did want to suggest some other things to consider, just in case you're interested in exploring alternatives.

ez1putt

Rough_Rock
Thanks for responses so far.....

It is going into a white gold setting...her fingers are pretty small so getting into a 1.5 range would make it look too big (if there is such a thing :) ). She only wanted a 1 carat, so I'm trying to stretch it just a little bit into a 1.25 range.

Any additional thoughts are welcome.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 12/3/2002 10:54:26 AM

Thanks for responses so far.....

It is going into a white gold setting...her fingers are pretty small so getting into a 1.5 range would make it look too big (if there is such a thing :) ). She only wanted a 1 carat, so I'm trying to stretch it just a little bit into a 1.25 range.

Any additional thoughts are welcome.
----------------

Leonid has the right idea - ask Jonathan
but..
I would choose the 1.18 E w/ faint Fluor because it's less expensive & the fluor could make it be more disco ball...........but......

I would look at 1.36 G SI @ 7935.00 or
1.40 I VS2 ........or
1.26 H VS2 @ 7400.00

In this size range, with this kind of cut, you will get that disco ball effect & save some $ if you go down in color. Ask Jonathan what he thinks.

Oh, and it's never TOO big.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
'Never too big' is right! I've heard that when it goes on the finger it may look 'too big' for a day or so, but then she will get used to it. Also, have heard from other girlfriends who have rings..they say that after a while it always starts to look TOO SMALL. Hee Hee.

I like the 1.26 F VS2 myself, I compared the brilliance scope reports and animation to the 1.18, and I just like this one alot better, it seems more FIERY in the middle with alot more of a rainbow effect. However, the two look pretty similar when animated. Also, I was not keen on the inclusion in the table on the 1.18 though I know many experts would say thats the best place for it.

But they both look pretty great and HCA scores are both 0.8 which is excellent! Seems like you can't lose between the two, and I adore GoodOldGold's method of reporting and putting all the info on the site for people to see, I could literally spend hours just staring at brilliance scope animations. ;-) Very interesting.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results