shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice requested re new setting and appraisal

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Petrov

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I''m new on here so please be gentle (but I have read through the FAQ forums first).

I''ve recently purchased online (from one of the very large ''brandname'' online retailers) a 2.5ct Asscher engagement ring for my (now) fiancee. As far as I can tell, the stone is in great condition, but I''ve not examined it under a microscope, and nor can I see under the prongs. The stone has a thick girdle and is GIA certified (but not laser inscribed). The retailer from whom I purchased the stone has about a 30-day return policy, a long as the ring has not been damaged or altered, etc.

I need to have it appraised for insurance purposes and also, my fiancee would like it in a new handmade setting. I have it currently insured, which covers me while it''s in my possession, but not while it''s in the jewellers possession. I am based in London, UK.

My concern is that there will be a chip on the stone (on the cut-off corners) under the prongs due to the relatively ugly/hamfisted ''cast'' setting the online retailer uses (my guess is they just bent the prongs around the stone, as its not handmade to the contours of the stone obviously) which will only become apparent once the stone is taken out of its setting before being put in a new setting.

Is that likely and if so, can I just have the stone put back in its original setting and return it to the online retailer? If it is the case, and the 30 days has expired, then I presume I would still be able to refund it, given that I would not have received the same stone that I was told I was received?

Am I being overly paranoid?

Thanks,

Petrov

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just I consumer here but I would think it would have to come off your insurance then because how would the retailer know whether or not the person unsetting the stone had done the damage or whether your fiancee had maybe banged the ring if the mount is looking a bit squashed already. If the ring looks as though the prongs have been twisted around the stone, it does not sound like it has been set properly because when setting a diamond the prongs have to be grooved to take the girdle width before the tops are banged down onto the stone.

pelicano

Rough_Rock
It is not very common for a diamond to have such chips right when you buy it, but you do need to be sure the jeweler is skilled and will handle it gently. Most actually would, as they don''t usually want to be held responsible for a damaged diamond, do they?

Petrov

Rough_Rock
Thanks Pelicano. The jeweller I am consider taking it to to have it re-set is Michael Rose (name of the store) in the Burlington Arcade in London, who have a very good reputation and have an in-house master jeweller.

Petrov.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could one of the appraisers or jewellers answer this. If a diamond has its mount changed would that not void the 30 days refund period, is the period mentioned by the original poster not for just checking or appraising the diamond as is when it is received? That is why I believe some buyers have the stone appraised before it is set. The retailer would know if someone has tampered with the prongs should it be sent back.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results