shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice Requested on These Stones (specs inside)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ez1putt

Rough_Rock
I'm new to the forum, but have learned a lot in a very short period of time (still long way to go!). Here are 3 stones I'd like your opinions on. All are round brilliant:

1) B+M / Lazare
AGS 0
F Color
SI2 (inclusions on the edges and spread apart)
1.097 ctw
Depth 60.4% / Table 57% / Crown 35 deg / pav 40.9 deg / pointed
HCA 1.1
Flourescence : Inert
Price : $6972 ($6396 per ct)

2) Broker
AGS 0
G Color
SI1 (inclusions in the center of stone, but eye clean)
1.27 ctw
Depth 61 / Table 57 / Crown 35 / pav 40.8 / pointed
HCA 1.2
Flourecense : inert
Price : $7750 ($6102 per ct)

3) Broker
AGS 0
F Color
SI1
1.19 ctw
Depth 61.8 / Table 57 / Crown 34.1 / pav 41 / pointed
HCA 1.2
Flourescense : inert
Price : $7550

The B+M is obviously, and expectly higher per carat, but I was surprised my the amount higher. When pricing B+M / Lazare at F/SI1 it went up to about $8000 per carat. Is Brand worth that much? Is an SI1 with inclusions at the edges worth more than SI1 with inclusions in the middle?

I'm looking for AGS 0 or GIA w/Sarin. Color of F-G. It will be set in 18k white gold. I have an ideal-scope, but am not too good with it --- so trusting the HCA until I get better.

I'm looking somewhere between 1.0 and 1.30 with total spend of $7000 - 8000.

Thanks for your patience in advance as I know I'll have several posts in the next couple weeks as I try to nail down a stone decision.

ez1putt

Rough_Rock
btt....anyone?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Ez1put, all these stones sound very nice. I only could compare the prices with online sources.

I just checked the internet price stats and get the following average prices for H&A cut in 1.00-1.49 price range:

F-SI1: $5722/carat
G-SI1: $5040/carat

You can also find cheaper than average, e.g. 1.11crt F SI1 $5060/carat:

1.11 F SI1 62.2% 55% AGS thn-me no id id mb 6.67-6.61-4.13 $5617

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm no expert but one thing that I was told when searching was that inclusions on the girdle or around the edges are normally better than one under the table (in the middle of the stone), because you can hide a side inclusion under a prong but the one in the middle is never going to be hidden.

Also while searching, since you are seeing the stones in person, be sure to tilt the stone at different angles and look with your naked eye to see if you can see the inclusions at different angles. We were sold on SI1 until I saw a few that looked great face up (this is how stones are graded), but when I tilted them at different angles, I could see the inclusions on some of the stones. This bothered me, and yes I could have set them under a prong, but if there were too many, that would not have worked. So just keep that in mind! We ended up with a VS1 mostly because we loved how clean it looked, even under 10x.

sylvesterii

Shiny_Rock
i disagree w/ the comment about where an inclusion should be. i think that it SHOULD be in the center of a stone when it is an excellently cut stone. if the light return is excellent, it is an Sl1 stone that is eyeclean, as above, there is NO way that you can see it. On the other hand, when the inclusions are on the edges, then it will be seen easier, since the "sparkle" will not mask it.

just my opinion i guess.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Actually syl..CutNut just posted on another thread saying the same thing you did, that he prefers inclusions in the table area rather than on a girdle..though many 'experts' and books say opposite.:twirl:

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 11/25/2002 3:50:04 PM

Actually syl..CutNut just posted on another thread saying the same thing you did, that he prefers inclusions in the table area rather than on a girdle..though many 'experts' and books say opposite.:twirl:
----------------

Actually, in the trade, Garry has had support on his preference on location of inclusions. Unfortunately, GIA grades differently. I would put my bet on experience with someone who has viewed thousands of stones. I have an inclusion smack dab in the table - it's the first thing I see under 10K loop - I have yet to see it w/ the naked eye.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results