shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice - Post Purchase 1.28 ct

hixz

Rough_Rock
I've done my research from all the great posts and people here, so thanks in advance! Was trying to get a good diamond for my upcoming engagement, main objectives were I color to match the setting, excellent cut, eye clean clarity. Ended up pulling the trigger a couple hours ago on:

$6480 - http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.28-carat-i-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-630195
with setting:
$820 - http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/14k-white-gold-0.32ct-french-cut-pave-diamond-engagement-ring--item-7090

I'm kind of worried now after looking at other websites further. I know I shouldn't use Zales or anything as pricing indicators, but it has me second guessing that maybe I could have went higher in carats or got a better diamond for my budget of $7500. I'm just looking for affirmation that the purchase was pretty much on target with the industry pricing and I should keep the purchase and stop second guessing myself! Thanks all in advance!!

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
The HCA of 4.9 isn't terribly good. Do you like the clustering around the inner arrow shafts? What about the look of a 60/60 diamond? CA/PA aren't very complimentary IMO. Personally I would look for another diamond as it's not a look I prefer. It might be perfectly fine for you but I feel we could find you a better diamond.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree, it's a 60/60 diamond but doesn't have the best proportions. You may love it, but it's not the diamond I would have chosen, which means nothing since it's not for me :)) . If you decide to get one that's better cut, we can help out with that. It'll face up bright but will do so at the expense of fire. Also, a 61% table is pretty huge.

everstone

Rough_Rock
JDDN|1450297522|3962371 said:
Agree, it's a 60/60 diamond but doesn't have the best proportions. You may love it, but it's not the diamond I would have chosen, which means nothing since it's not for me :)) . If you decide to get one that's better cut, we can help out with that. It'll face up bright but will do so at the expense of fire. Also, a 61% table is pretty huge.

A 61% table isn't a deal breaker since it has a 33.5% crown. The larger the table is, the shallower the crown needs to be, and those proportions work.

The deal breaker for me is the HCA of 4.9. Really should go for below 2 just to be on the safe side. Although surprisingly your diamond scores just outside of the AGS ideal range.

It's not a bad diamond, but if you do a lot of reading here you would've known that HCA should be below 2. If you can live with that 4.9 score I think you've got yourself a fair winner.

screen_shot_2015-12-16_at_12.png

hixz

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I greatly appreciate it. I guess I messed up, because when I entered the info into the HCA I got a lower score, must have entered something incorrectly :(

I'm really not sure what I should do, I'm leaning toward cancelling the order and getting more help here instead of reading and trying to make the decision based on a month of research and looking. Did I get a deal on the diamond with the non-ideal proportions or could I still find something better around the same price point?

Here's the screen of when I did the GCA... incorrectly I assume :(

screenshot_2015-12-16_14.png

Thanks again.

everstone

Rough_Rock
solgen|1450297296|3962368 said:
CA/PA aren't very complimentary IMO.

Incorrect. Actually the CA/PA are quite complimentary. A shallow crown angle like 33.5 coupled with a shallow pavilion (<40.5) will lead to light leakage, that is why his 41.4 PA almost nearly puts him at AGS ideal.

everstone

Rough_Rock
hixz|1450299116|3962386 said:
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I greatly appreciate it. I guess I messed up, because when I entered the info into the HCA I got a lower score, must have entered something incorrectly :(

I'm really not sure what I should do, I'm leaning toward cancelling the order and getting more help here instead of reading and trying to make the decision based on a month of research and looking. Did I get a deal on the diamond with the non-ideal proportions or could I still find something better around the same price point?

Here's the screen of when I did the GCA... incorrectly I assume :(

screenshot_2015-12-16_14.png

Thanks again.

You did not do anything incorrect. The other poster must have used the ANGLES instead of the PERCENTAGES. When you input the different values and units, you actually get a different result/score. Confusing right? Given that both options give you an HCA above 2, I might cancel the order and look further. BUT I know from personal experience thats a lot of hassle and really sucks the fun out of it.

So if you think you can live with it then keep the stone. It'll still look great. But if it makes you sick to your stomach then do what you have to do. Good luck!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
don't panic! Can you see it first and possibly return it. You might LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hm, a 61% table is pretty large, but I did not say it was a deal breaker. There is a diamond for everyone after all. A large table and shallow CA will favor bright light and less dispersion. It depends on what you're after. A shallow CA like 33.5 is better paired with a steeper PA as is your diamond (PA is 41.4) so in that sense they are complimentary to each other. I had a diamond with similar specs to this and it was bright, but it was not for me. People complimented it all the time, but it was not for me.

You could certainly wait and see it and decide what you think - you may really like it! If you think you could do better or don't love it, send it back and we'll help find another.

mrfat

Rough_Rock
everstone|1450299242|3962387 said:
solgen|1450297296|3962368 said:
CA/PA aren't very complimentary IMO.

Incorrect. Actually the CA/PA are quite complimentary. A shallow crown angle like 33.5 coupled with a shallow pavilion (<40.5) will lead to light leakage, that is why his 41.4 PA almost nearly puts him at AGS ideal.

Nearly at AGS Ideal isn't always close or good enough. Don't fool yourself into thinking that AGS ideal proportions are the end all be all. You can see quite a few examples of AGS ideal that are leaky and ugly. It's also GIA certed and they round numbers pretty heavily. Its possible it might have a better HCA score and perhaps even fall into the AGS ideal range. But let's not be so quick to tell someone they are incorrect when the tools you are using a far from definitive.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not good news when the table is > the depth.

everstone

Rough_Rock
Dancing Fire|1450311800|3962456 said:
Not good news when the table is > the depth.

Could you explain why?

hixz

Rough_Rock
Well, I'm going to take the advice of a couple people and wait until it arrives to see if I feel it's elegant enough and my girlfriend's taste. My girlfriend was not even expecting a 1ct so I hope to still have a great ring to propose with. If not I will definitely require some assistance from all the experts here! Next time I won't take the excellent cut rating from GIA to mean it's good and factor the HCA much more.

I'll upload some pictures to the thread at the time received. I feel like I got a good price for everything *except* the table ratio... but looking around at price I think that is why I got a good price on it... not that I was looking for an odd shaped diamond to save money. Anyway, thank you all for the honesty and opinions, I greatly appreciate it!

hixz

Rough_Rock
Sorry for the double post, I've changed directions completely and have had the order put on hold. They will switch out the diamond for me and charge me the difference since it is still in pre-production.

Can you guys please help me? I'm looking for the following (need to stay with JamesAllen):

Round Brilliant
Color: I
Clarity: Eye Clean, VS2/VS1
Cut: GIA Excellent or HCA below 2
Carat: 1.3+
Budget: $8200 for Diamond

Thanks!!!

everstone

Rough_Rock
hixz|1450382630|3962753 said:
Sorry for the double post, I've changed directions completely and have had the order put on hold. They will switch out the diamond for me and charge me the difference since it is still in pre-production.

Can you guys please help me? I'm looking for the following (need to stay with JamesAllen):

Round Brilliant

Thanks!!!

Maybe this one?...

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.30-carat-i-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-804687

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hixz said:

Round Brilliant

Thanks!!!

You need to include the table, depth, CA and PA for us to tell you more about the cut.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
^^Those are the specs for OP's new search.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ringo865 said:
^^Those are the specs for OP's new search.

Oh geez, not enough coffee today. :(

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
mrfat|1450302601|3962416 said:
Nearly at AGS Ideal isn't always close or good enough. Don't fool yourself into thinking that AGS ideal proportions are the end all be all. You can see quite a few examples of AGS ideal that are leaky and ugly. It's also GIA certed and they round numbers pretty heavily. Its possible it might have a better HCA score and perhaps even fall into the AGS ideal range. But let's not be so quick to tell someone they are incorrect when the tools you are using a far from definitive.

Nicely put mrfat

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results