shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice Plz :)

koopa__2

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone,

I've been browsing and reading up for a while trying to figure this whole diamond thing. I'm buying an engagement ring for my girlfriend :D

Anyways someone talked me into seeing a few stores in the mall and this came up at Hannoush after some negotiating. Is this as good of a deal as I think it is?

$10,400
EGL USA
Color F
Clarity SI 2
Carat 1.50
Cut Very Good
Polish Excellent
Symmetry Very Good

7.26.x7.18x4.61

I feel like this is good deal and I will make sure I get it checked by a third party, but is this a good price for the stats? Thanks!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
koopa__2|1309309141|2957504 said:
Hey everyone,

I've been browsing and reading up for a while trying to figure this whole diamond thing. I'm buying an engagement ring for my girlfriend :D

Anyways someone talked me into seeing a few stores in the mall and this came up at Hannoush after some negotiating. Is this as good of a deal as I think it is?

$10,400
EGL USA
Color F
Clarity SI 2
Carat 1.50
Cut Very Good
Polish Excellent
Symmetry Very Good

7.26.x7.18x4.61

I feel like this is good deal and I will make sure I get it checked by a third party, but is this a good price for the stats? Thanks!

No, this is not a good deal. A well-cut 1.50 carat round diamond should measure approx 7.4 mm. This one measures 7.2 mm. Also, I would read up on EGL. They are considered to be 'looser' on their color/clarity grading so what you have would very likely NOT be graded a F/SI2 if it was sent to GIA or AGS.

I would focus on getting an excellent cut stone in your budget. If you post your budget/preferred specs we can try to find some good candidates.

koopa__2

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the response. I can't go over 10000 without feeling some guilt and there's no chance I'll go over 10500.

koopa__2

Rough_Rock
I noticed the cut is a huge improvement over the previous stone. Is an I color going to be something that will be easy to notice when it's mounted to the untrained eye?

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
There are a lot of ladies on here who have I's and J's. An ideal stone will hide the color. Also when you are looking at EGL stones they are usually 2 colors down, and 1 clarity grade down from GIA. So a F S12 rated by EGL would prob. be considered an H I1 by GIA.

koopa__2

Rough_Rock
The second one is slightly bigger and has an excellent symmetry while the first has only very good symmetry. When I put them into the HCA I get the first diamond at 0.7 and the second diamond at 1.4

Is the symmetry something I can sacrifice? It seems like the first diamond has a better price for me and a higher HCA rating.

Thanks again :D

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
The HCA is merely a weeding tool, so any diamonds with a score lower than 2 are good. A .7 is not 'better' than a 1.4. I can't really comment on symmetry since I'm not as familiar with how that would affect the optics.

ETA: They are both beautiful diamonds, I don't think you can go wrong, either way! :love:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
as far as 'can you sacrifice'...you should not notice a difference but some people like to know that they have excellent symmetry. so you have to decide if it would bother you or not!

here are 2 more from JA that might be worth evaluating, since they will evaluate up to 3. that way you have some options. GOG one looks nice too but is more pricey since it is a H&A stone and they have different vendor policies.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-SI2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1378873.asp
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-SI2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1389134.asp

koopa__2

Rough_Rock
I sent the three stones for evaluation. That company seems really great. Thanks again!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results