shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice please!

Kristen18

Rough_Rock
Hello friends!

So my hubby let me upgrade my engagement ring a few months ago for our 5-year anniversary. I finally went with a Blue Nile halo setting with a half carat diamond. However. Now it’s 2 months later, and I changed my mind on what I want. I never wanted a solitaire before because I thought they were boring...but now I think I DO want a solitaire after seeing a friend with one. It just looked so sparkly and classy. I’m just thinking I may get tired of the halo and wish for something more timeless like a solitaire.
SO.
Should I try to sell this ring and start over? Or should I just be thankful for what I have? We definitely can not afford to spend more on another ring unless I sell the one I currently have.
Any advice is appreciated! I hate how indecisive I am LOL!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How long is their return policy? I wonder if you are still able to return or exchange with BN?

Kristen18

Rough_Rock
How long is their return policy? I wonder if you are still able to return or exchange with BN?

Yes I wish I could do this! Their return policy is only good for 30 days! It’s been almost 90 now! Ugh.

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You can utilize Blue Nile’s upgrade policy and get a credit for the cost of your diamond when you spend at least twice the amount on a new diamond (setting costs not included). That seems like the most cost effective route.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I wish I could do this! Their return policy is only good for 30 days! It’s been almost 90 now! Ugh.

yuck, that's unfortunate. What about exchanges with them? The issue with selling is that diamonds lose a ton of their cost as soon as you buy them (kind of like a car). So you'll lose a lot of $ trying to sell, unfortunately.

Kristen18

Rough_Rock
yuck, that's unfortunate. What about exchanges with them? The issue with selling is that diamonds lose a ton of their cost as soon as you buy them (kind of like a car). So you'll lose a lot of $ trying to sell, unfortunately.

The exchange window is the same as the return (30 days).
Yes I figured it would be hard to sell privately at this point. I guess I should just be happy with what I have! Thanks for your help.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The exchange window is the same as the return (30 days).
Yes I figured it would be hard to sell privately at this point. I guess I should just be happy with what I have! Thanks for your help.

Another option would be to order a cheap CZ solitaire to make sure you like it on you. Then if you do, you could save up to exchange your center stone via the BN upgrade policy mentioned above?

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
A few options to consider:

1. Enjoy your current ring and the presence the halo has!
2. Sell your ring on LoupeTroop or privately, I would assume up to 50% in depreciation? I would then go with Whiteflash given their generous upgrade policy, so you can trade-up every few years!
3. Save up and trade-up with BN's upgrade policy. It will be harder to upgrade later on since I believe you have to spend 2x the cost, so if you see yourself wanting to upgrade a lot, might be better to start over with Whiteflash before you get too far down the road!
4. If you're open to lab diamonds you could consider resetting a Lightbox 1ct pendant into a ring for a little over $1000. Or you could even do a Lightbox 3-stone using your current diamond as one of the side stones (if it's around the same specs) for around $2000 - buy the 1ct pendant from Lightbox's website, a 0.5ct from Bloomingdale's through their sales, and BN's running a sale on 3-stone settings.

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
Another option that may be available to you (depending on what you have of course, and if you consider this a possibility, not a huge loss etc.?) Could be to see if Whiteflash or HPD (High Performance Diamonds) would be willing to accept your ring as a trade in for one of their diamonds. It is certainly worth trying, no harm in asking. I did this with a diamond I purchased elsewhere and have since upgraded in size twice (great upgrade policy) with HPD.

Good luck:wavey:

L

lydial

Put it away, wear some other things, put it back on. Live with it a while. Honeymoons end. It may be less thrilling but it is probably a beautiful piece (need pics!) I personally am not even wearing my normal wedding band today. I wore my yg /jade rhr and bracelet so I have on a simple carved yg band. When I put my regular band back on I will enjoy it more! Try this.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We've all been victims of seeing something on someone else and thinking it is the bomb. I don't know how big or small or your friend's solitaire ring was but it is simple enough to go to a jewelry store to try one on to see if you get the same vibe from it on your hand. Sometimes what we think we want sticks, sometimes not.
You can always sell your ring outright but generally speaking, you will take a hit on the price. If you are not able to do that and add more money to it for a diamond, then wear and enjoy what you have for now. Remember all the reasons that you chose what you did - I am sure it is beautiful in its own right. You may find with time or with trying on some solitaires that it doesn't please you as much as it did when you saw it on someone else's hand. Just give yourself some time to think about it and see how you feel later on down the road.

Kristen18

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your advice! Here is a picture of my current ring. I do think it looks more like a cluster ring since it has two halos and the center diamond is only a half carat. But. It is beautiful! It’s supposed to look like a flower. The center diamond is so sparkly and brilliant! Lots of colored flashes!
I never wanted a solitaire because I thought they were too plain and boring LOL! I wanted more finger coverage, especially since my hands are not so little (size 7). My friend definitely has smaller hands than I do (maybe a size 4?). I’m thinking a solitaire in what i can afford (less than 1 carat) wouldn’t look very great on me since I don’t have small hands.

Kristen18

Rough_Rock
Sorry, I have ugly hands LOL!

stonehunter20

Shiny_Rock
You may want to start saving for a 1.5+ carat diamond.

I have a feeling that you may get dissapointed with a 0.5 carat solitarie for the lack of finger coverageb and regret.

good point. 0.5 carat soli look drastically different from your double halo. it'd look a lot smaller on your finger. is that something you would accept? if not, then enjoy your ring!

Kristen18

Rough_Rock
4D9CCA11-C92A-4DF0-B91B-01320ABEDC53.jpeg
You may want to start saving for a 1.5+ carat diamond.

I have a feeling that you may get dissapointed with a 0.5 carat solitarie for the lack of finger coverageb and regret.

Yes, I am afraid I would regret my decision! If I did a solitaire, I was thinking more along the line of maybe .75-.9. But I know that still not very big.

Kristen18

Rough_Rock
Thank you all. I just have such a hard time making up my mind on these kinds of things. Sigh.

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
Have you tried on a solitaire on your own finger? I think it's all about how it looks on you for the desired finger coverage. I think your halo is lovely and also has really beautiful details. A solitaire is indeed timeless and classic but I would try on a .75-.9 in person before making that decision since the difference in size may not be what you want in the end. If you still like the way it looks, go for it!

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
I think your ring is beautiful, and looks beautiful on you!! Yes, solitaires are elegant in their simplicity, however, I think proportions can affect how you feel about them on your hand. I also like Lovedogs idea of buying a cz solitaire and really taking your time to make a decision. I have had cz solitaires in 3 different sizes for the last year that I wear at different times trying to decide what I like and what looks good on me. It has been very helpful!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was going to echo same thing about keeping your ring scrupulously clean.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP your ring is lovely and has a wonderful presence on our finger. I vote for keeping it as is for now. One day in the future, if you are able to upgrade to a sizable solitaire, trade in your existing diamond with BN then and put a colored stone in your existing setting so that you can continue to enjoy it. Many ring styles are tempting when we see them on other people, but you already have a beautiful ring, enjoy it longer before considering letting it go.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results