shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice Please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

r8dg

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone, been researching these forums for a while now and think i may have found the diamond i would like to buy for my fiance. Here are the specs:

Carat weight: 2.02
Cut: Very Good
Color: J
Clarity: VS1
Depth %: 68.6%
Table %: 64%
Symmetry: Very good
Polish: Very good
Girdle: Medium to very thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 7.43 x 7.27 x 4.99 mm
Length/width ratio: 1.02

the diamond is listed on bluenile, but im a little hesitant on buying it without seeing how rounded the corners are. The ring im setting this on is similar to the tiffanys legacy. I have just a few questions:

1)what do you think of the specs above?
2)price is 9455...is that too good to be true? is there something wrong with the diamond?
3)what are your opinions on J colors?
4)any other advice?

thanks in advance! :)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/11/2009 12:48:25 PM
Author:r8dg
Hey everyone, been researching these forums for a while now and think i may have found the diamond i would like to buy for my fiance. Here are the specs:

Carat weight: 2.02
Cut: Very Good
Color: J
Clarity: VS1
Depth %: 68.6%
Table %: 64%
Symmetry: Very good
Polish: Very good
Girdle: Medium to very thick
Measurements: 7.43 x 7.27 x 4.99 mm
Length/width ratio: 1.02

the diamond is listed on bluenile, but im a little hesitant on buying it without seeing how rounded the corners are. The ring im setting this on is similar to the tiffanys legacy. I have just a few questions:

1)what do you think of the specs above?
2)price is 9455...is that too good to be true? is there something wrong with the diamond?
3)what are your opinions on J colors?
4)any other advice?

thanks in advance! :)
Welcome!

Is this a square shape, Princess or other?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is the shape?

2 ct J fancies probably will have a bit of color.

r8dg

Rough_Rock
Attached is the GIA report. I called bluenile and they said they cant send me a picture. Any other websites besides james allen and good old gold that show actual diamond pictures?

GIA16845260_zoom.jpeg

r8dg

Rough_Rock
wow that was fast lol. its a cushion cut

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes www.whiteflash.com

www.engagementringsdirect.com Mark T has a great eye for cushions.

Can provide pictures and other images.

The problem is that cushions really can't be judged without photos at least and BN won't provide them, without it is really buying blind. Cushions can vary so much in shape and appearance that without photos it is anyones guess as to how well cut this cushion is and how beautiful, and whether it is the type of cushion you are looking for.

r8dg

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/11/2009 12:53:07 PM
Author: Lorelei
Yes www.whiteflash.com

The problem is that cushions really can''t be judged without photos at least and BN won''t provide them, without it is really buying blind. Cushions can vary so much in shape and appearance that without photos it is anyones guess as to how well cut this cushion is and how beautiful, and whether it is the type of cushion you are looking for.

i agree thats why I really wanted to see pics. Only problem is Im having a hard time findng exactly what im looking for since there arent as many square cushions as there are for example rounds. Thanks for the websites. ive been to whiteflash but i didnt know they had actual images on there. i guess i have to call and request.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2009 12:59:25 PM
Author: r8dg

Yes www.whiteflash.com

The problem is that cushions really can''t be judged without photos at least and BN won''t provide them, without it is really buying blind. Cushions can vary so much in shape and appearance that without photos it is anyones guess as to how well cut this cushion is and how beautiful, and whether it is the type of cushion you are looking for.

i agree thats why I really wanted to see pics. Only problem is Im having a hard time findng exactly what im looking for since there arent as many square cushions as there are for example rounds. Thanks for the websites. ive been to whiteflash but i didnt know they had actual images on there. i guess i have to call and request.
Try calling those vendors directly instead of just going on their website. They can often source any type of cushion for you.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/11/2009 3:26:31 PM
Author: kcoursolle

Date: 4/11/2009 12:59:25 PM

Yes www.whiteflash.com

Try calling those vendors directly instead of just going on their website. They can often source any type of cushion for you.
Ditto, describe what you want then see what they can come up with, Mark T in particular has an excellent rep with cushions.

r8dg

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone. Looks like I might have found the diamond. Juli over at whiteflash has been A LOT of help!! :) the diamond is a 1.76ct I VS2, 59% table, 66% depth, excellent polish, vg symmetry, and a 1.0 ratio. price is around $8k. What do you guys think? I''ll post pics once she sends them to me.

Thanks!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/13/2009 8:15:35 PM
Thanks everyone. Looks like I might have found the diamond. Juli over at whiteflash has been A LOT of help!! :) the diamond is a 1.76ct I VS2, 59% table, 66% depth, excellent polish, vg symmetry, and a 1.0 ratio. price is around $8k. What do you guys think? I''ll post pics once she sends them to me.

Thanks!
Sounds promising, post the pics when you are able!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ditto, it has potential. I''m looking forward to seeing the images!

r8dg

Rough_Rock
ok here are the pics. it was a little too round, so i said no on it. im afraid when its set it will look more like a round stone instead of a cushion.

r8dg

Rough_Rock
pic 1

r8dg40x.jpg

r8dg

Rough_Rock
AST

r8dgast.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Meh, not my favorite type of cushion, but it looks very white and bright for people who like the style. I agree with you about the shape. If I'm going to get a cushion I don't want it mistaken for a round with the shape.

ETA: the asset is okay, but I don't like that big patch of green in the middle much...

r8dg

Rough_Rock
pic 2

r8dgdiamond.jpg

r8dg

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 6:11:01 PM
Meh, not my favorite type of cushion, but it looks very white and bright for people who like the style. I agree with you about the shape. If I''m going to get a cushion I don''t want it mistaken for a round with the shape.

ETA: the asset is okay, but I don''t like that big patch of green in the middle much...

Yea i was thinking the same thing. What do you think of this one:

r8dgpic.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 6:30:43 PM

Meh, not my favorite type of cushion, but it looks very white and bright for people who like the style. I agree with you about the shape. If I''m going to get a cushion I don''t want it mistaken for a round with the shape.

ETA: the asset is okay, but I don''t like that big patch of green in the middle much...

Do you have the link?

r8dg

Rough_Rock
http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/5139/

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the shape better, but it looks a bit glassy in the video. Do you like cunkier or more modern styles better?

r8dg

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 7:07:11 PM
I like the shape better, but it looks a bit glassy in the video. Do you like cunkier or more modern styles better?

Not really sure...this is the first diamond I''ve ever bought so I havent seen a lot, just mostly done research on here by looking at specs and not actual diamonds. From what Ive seen I guess the modern ones have more sparkle.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 7:12:41 PM

Date: 4/14/2009 7:07:11 PM

Not really sure...this is the first diamond I''ve ever bought so I havent seen a lot, just mostly done research on here by looking at specs and not actual diamonds. From what Ive seen I guess the modern ones have more sparkle.
Not necessarily more, just different. The chunkier styles have broader flashes and often more colored light return if they have a steeper crown and the modern styles have more tiny sparkles and often a bright look, but this isn''t always the case.

Definitely do some reading on cushions before you get wedded to a style. This video is also a great start to learn more about cushion appearance: http://www.vimeo.com/3885499

r8dg

Rough_Rock
also would dropping to a J color be really noticeable?

r8dg

Rough_Rock
what about this one?

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1186437.asp

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 7:22:40 PM
also would dropping to a J color be really noticeable?
Depending on the stone, it will be somewhat noticeable. In a well-cut round J''s can face up very white, but you will see more warmth in a fancy. However, this doesn''t mean they can''t be loved and appreciated. For this type of purchase you should view some stones in person to get a feel for color more.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/14/2009 6:30:43 PM

I like this one from GOG best.

r8dg

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the video, that helped a lot! I agree, but I wish i had time to go look at them in person...with work its impossible. Plus I only have 4.5 weeks left to get the ring so I need to make a decision asap because the setting is all custom and they need to start on it.

Yeah im leaning more towards the one from GOG too. Heres one more...i know im driving you guys crazy with the links lol. Let me know what you think!

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1118092.asp

thanks for all your input so far! :)

r8dg

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 10:07:37 AM
I will just fix the link then take a look...

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1118092.asp

To be honest I don''t like this cushion according to the picture. I believe you can do better - I know the pics aren''t meant to show the diamond to its best advantage but I am not keen on this one nevertheless.

Is it because it has a very crushed ice look? I was thinking maybe when its set it wont look as bad.

Well I think this one below is the last one I''m looking at. I think it will be between the Good Old Gold one and this james allen one below. It seems a little too good to be true though for the price. Here are the specs:

Shape: Cushion
Carat weight: 1.81
Cut: Ideal
Color: H
Clarity: VVS2
Certificate: GIA
Depth: 65.2%
Table: 61.0%
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Girdle: Slightly thick
Measurements: 7.10*6.81*4.44
Ratio: 1.04

its priced at $11,330 which seems way too low for an H VVS2. here is the pic :

17449360PIC.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results