shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice please on old cut diamond

nottospec

Shiny_Rock
7.54ct.JPG Hi, I have found a nice ring in an antique store and was wondering if the old cut experts could give me some advice of whether this is a nice diamond or if I should keep looking?
Its over 7 cts (7.54 from memory) - colour N - Vs2
I would appreciate any advice.
I can probably get some more close ups if thats better

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
Do you have its specs? How much are they asking? It’s lovely.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks pretty. More pics would be good. GIA certified? Are you asking about price? What do YOU think and feel about it? Looks like a ring from OWD.

Just tell us. Which antique store would have a 7 carat antique cushion in a modern setting with teeny tiny prongs? Setting looks recently made and very much like a PS vendor setting.

nottospec

Shiny_Rock
It is a modern setting and is in an antique store in Australia. I will get some close ups

Reactions: AV_

headlight

Ideal_Rock
STUNNING!!!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah- that's nice!
Very pretty OMC, and sizeable to boot. I like the lower colors just as well as the higher ones tho. Love the yellow gold setting!
More pictures up close and from different angles would be fantastic.
Any lab report /additional stats you can share?

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Well it looks amazing to me form that picture, and I do love that color in an old stone.

nottospec

Shiny_Rock
no lab report, independent valuation

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
What does the independent valuation say? It's a huuuge stone to not have a report and at this size every little detail would very greatly affect the price. Further, if they're asking what the valuation says, depending on what the valuation's original purpose was, it might be an overinflated price.

I know it can be a bit uncomfortable to share lots of details online but if you want really helpful feedback for a purchase that cannot be a small amount of money, please share a bit more. :)

From the one hand picture you shared it does look very pretty. What did you think of it in person?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could buy an ASETscope from Garry Holloway's website in order to confirm if it is leaky or not, but I'd also echo the above - getting it graded by GIA or AGS would seem to make sense, given the likely cost involved and the tiny fraction of that it would cost for the grading.

nottospec

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the input so far
The valuation says it was graded as an N vs2 prior to being set but only provides the overall dimensions 12.03x 11.30x7.69 but no added info apart from the setting information
Valuation is given as 142k, asking 128k neg
Prices in Aussie dollars

Reactions: AV_

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
7.54ct.JPG Hi, I have found a nice ring in an antique store and was wondering if the old cut experts could give me some advice of whether this is a nice diamond or if I should keep looking?
Its over 7 cts (7.54 from memory) - colour N - Vs2
I would appreciate any advice.
I can probably get some more close ups if thats better

From the photos you shared it looks quite yummy but a few questions.

1. N color will appear warm. Especially in that amazingly huge size. Are you OK with that? And is it a GIA N or EGL N or something else? Because if it's not GIA then it is most likely not an accurate evaluation. And the price is based on the stats so are you paying a fair price or too high a price as it is based on carat weight/color/clarity.

2. Would want to see a video showing how the facets perform. Is it lively or are there dead spots? Do many of the facets turn off at the same time or is it a nice mix of on and off?

It definitely has potential. As I wrote I think the stone is very yummy and chunky and love that profile too. Just need video and to figure out if the stats are accurate and if not get a GIA cert to make sure you are paying a fair price and not overpaying.

ETA OK sorry just read the other posts and see it is an independent eval. Is there an appraiser near you that you trust who can evaluate the stone for you? Most likely the eval the seller has is in their favor and probably inflated. Not saying definitely but most likely. If you could find a trusted appraiser by you to independently evaluate it for you that would be very useful info.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whereabouts are you in Aus?

If you could get to Garry Holloway's shop, he would probably be able to arrange getting the stone graded by GIA or AGS.

I think I'd go with AGS - you could then have the light performance (ASET) graphic on the certificate if you go for one of the 'platinum' report options, I believe.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whereabouts are you in Aus?

If you could get to Garry Holloway's shop, he would probably be able to arrange getting the stone graded by GIA or AGS.

I think I'd go with AGS - you could then have the light performance (ASET) graphic on the certificate if you go for one of the 'platinum' report options, I believe.

Just another caveat...old cut diamonds do not perform the same way as modern cut so an AGS light performance eval has to be taken with a grain of salt. Definitely this is one to view with your eyes. I like a cert to see that I am paying a fair ballpark price for old cuts and not so much a light performance eval. though as long as one realizes it will perform differently than modern cuts that info might be interesting.

Love the suggestion to have Gary Holloway take a look at it. I would trust his eyes completely.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Can you compare pricing somewhere? If asking price is $128,000 Australian dollars, roughly $80K US, it does not seem attractive.

Wink

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I know what I paid for a 3.2 carat OMC N VS2. I know that prices go up considerably for large stones, but this strikes me as too high (nearly $90k US). But I will freely admit that I have no experience with stones over 4 carats.....unfortunately :lol:

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tbh looking at the prices of the stones being suggested in the other thread, I'd be looking at this one again, offering 100kAUD flat or getting it actually graded by GIA/AGS so you know what you're dealing with.

Do you know what shape/cut you prefer? How warm do you like your diamonds?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results