shape
carat
color
clarity

ADVICE PLEASE, DIAMOND DOUBTS!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

terrier1

Rough_Rock
ON A RECENT HOLIDAY TO DUBAI MY HUSBAND SURPRISED ME ONE DAY AND OFFERRED TO BUY ME A BETTER, BIGGER ENGAGEMENT RING. I WAS THRILLED BUT HAD DONE ABSOLUTELY NO RESEARCH AT ALL REGARDING DIAMONDS AND THE 4 C''S ETC, I JUST KNEW I HAD ALWAYS WANTED A 1 CARAT DIAMOND. BECAUSE IT WAS SPUR OF THE MOMENT(FOR BOTH OF US) AND WE HAD BUDGET CONSTRICTIONS WE OPTED FOR AN UNCERTIFIED SI J, ROUND BRILLIANT 1.03 CARAT, SET IN YELLOW 18CT GOLD TIFFANY STYLE SETTING.
THE RING IS BEAUTIFUL BUT SINCE RETURNING I''VE EDUCATED MYSELF ON THE INTERNET AND FEEL WE MAY HAVE BEEN HASTY. ALTHOUGH IT IS LOVELY I WEAR IT WITH MY WEDDING BAND WHICH IS CHANNEL SET WITH FIVE 0.10 DIAMONDS WHICH ARE OF A BETTER QUALITY, THIS I THINK HIGHLIGHTS SOME CLOUDINESS IN MY NEW PURCHASE. WE ARE IN A BIT OF A DILEMNA AND WOULD CONSIDER UPGRADING BUT I THINK IT MAY BE VERY DIFFCULT TO SELL THE UNCERTIFIED STONE. ANY ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED, HINDSIGHT IS A WONDERFUL THING....
confused.gif

terrier1

Rough_Rock
THANKS FOR THE REPLY. THE RING HAS BEEN CLEANED RECENTLY BUT IT DOES HAVE A LOT OF FLUORESCENCE, SOMEHOW I THINK THIS SEEMS TO MAKE IT APPEAR WHITER IF ANYTHING. ALSO I WAS ADVISED THAT WARMER COLOUR STONES LOOK BETTER SET IN YELLOW GOLD, PLUS MY WEDDING RING IS YELLOW GOLD. I WAS JUST WONDERING, IF I DID DECIDE TO SELL, HOW MUCH LUCK WOULD I HAVE BEARING IN MIND IT IS AN UNCERTIFIED STONE? ITS ONLY BEEN BY READING SITES LIKE THIS ONE THAT I HAVE REALISED THE IMPORTANCE OF CERTIFICATION. WOULD I BE ABLE TO GET THE STONE CERTIFIED NOW AND THEN SELL IT OR WOULD IT NOT BE WORTH DOING THAT? I LIVE IN ENGLAND BY THE WAY.
ANY MORE ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED BEFORE I LAY THIS TO REST, THINK I'M DRIVING MY HUSBAND CRAZY!

EdSkinner

Shiny_Rock
Iam not familiar with England's diamond market. I can tell you that if someone came into my office and tried to sell me a stone, Iam not going to rely on somebody elses opinion weither it is certified or not. Iam going to want to take the stone out of the setting and make my own judgement. There is a big difference for what you can sell it for to somebody in the trade. So if you went to sell it outright you may get about a quarter or less of the orginal price. If you sell it privately you can get much closer to the orginal price. You could also use the stone as a trade. But be prepared to be investing alot more money in this ring for the upgrade. So the cloudyness is probally the fluorescence. A "J" color is still considered white. You like yellow gold, leave it yellow gold. I would not worry about getting it certed. That can be done anytime. Only 2 people are not going to like the ring: the woman that doesn't have it and the jeweler who didn't sell it. Relax, sit back and enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results