Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Set c

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

Scintillkait

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! Thanks to the experts on this forum whose posts have been so helpful.

I’m seeking guidance on purchase of a <$500 (flexible) pair of white pearl studs in the 8-9mm range (yellow gold post). I have been wearing a smaller cultured pair (>$100 from borsheim’s) for many years and adore them. Most days I wear either those, or freshwater pairs from pearl paradise in pink (9.5-10mm) or black (8.5-9mm). The whites are my most frequently worn but are looking small and less luminous than my colored ones, so I’d like to upgrade. Based on research here I’ve decided that I may not be ready for the upkeep and price of gem quality, so I’m focusing on ~$500 budget (flexible) and see AAA akoyas at pearl paradise (link below). I don’t feel strongly about akoyas vs others, and am looking for a neutral white, a little pink is ok but green tones will probably not look good on me. My skin is olive but with quite a bit of red (I flush easily). I love how white pearls pop and kind of glow. i have the pink freshwaters and want these to feel distinct. Would love you help picking between these 3 options from pearl paradise and/or other suggestions. Thank you!
IMG_0554.jpeg https://www.pearlparadise.com/produ...VQppY9jY-JtJfSiW8iPI0RRlswbjR4EIaAjoWEALw_wcB)

Last edited:

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone! Thanks to the experts on this forum whose posts have been so helpful.

I’m seeking guidance on purchase of a <$500 (flexible) pair of white pearl studs in the 8-9mm range (yellow gold post). I have been wearing a smaller cultured pair (>$100 from borsheim’s) for many years and adore them. Most days I wear either those, or freshwater pairs from pearl paradise in pink (9.5-10mm) or black (8.5-9mm). The whites are my most frequently worn but are looking small and less luminous than my colored ones, so I’d like to upgrade. Based on research here I’ve decided that I may not be ready for the upkeep and price of gem quality, so I’m focusing on ~$500 budget (flexible) and see AAA akoyas at pearl paradise (link below). I don’t feel strongly about akoyas vs others, and am looking for a neutral white, a little pink is ok but green tones will probably not look good on me. My skin is olive but with quite a bit of red (I flush easily). I love how white pearls pop and kind of glow. i have the pink freshwaters and want these to feel distinct. Would love you help picking between these 3 options from pearl paradise and/or other suggestions. Thank you!
IMG_0554.jpeg https://www.pearlparadise.com/produ...VQppY9jY-JtJfSiW8iPI0RRlswbjR4EIaAjoWEALw_wcB)

With a $500 budget, you can buy a gem quality 8.6mm Akoya pair from Takahashi right now. It’s $350 for the pair plus $90 for the gold stud setting plus shipping. They have 2 pairs of gem quality right now and I just bought the upper pair (Pinker and a better match for my necklace). I would strongly suggest you consider the bottom pair over these options above.

1689991849013.jpeg

1689991874365.jpeg

1689991901413.jpeg

1689991949413.jpeg

Last edited:

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
If you really want a less pink option, this is slightly above your budget at 90,000 Yen (roughly $640 with shipping included) from General Pearl. Look at row C in this video.

https://player.vimeo.com/video/846165884?h=7eb4d0e001&quality=4k

Row C is 8.7/8.8mm. It has a blemish rank of 1.5/10, a pure white surface color (their highest rating) and 100pts of luster based on their grading system. They match each other very well and looks beautiful to me.

It was actually a very close call for me on which pair I’d pick. In the end, I have a preference for Takahashi since I know their quality and grading criteria well after my previous transactions with them and my visit to their office in Kobe… So I went with Takahashi for my pair.

I’m sure someone will be very happy with this Row C pair. I loved the Row B pearls (9.2mm) but they match too poorly for me to accept as earrings — amazing singletons though!

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
I took a few more snapshots of the video Takahashi sent me to show you the bottom pair in different angles/light. Yy says it shows up whiter than expected in real life for what that’s worth.

1690068204276.png

1690068268518.png

1690068360440.png

1690068436243.png

Scintillkait

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much! These seem like wonderful options. I’ve never seen high grade akoya in person but feel the pink in one takahashi pair is probably fine. I’m actually leaving the country for a few months next week so wasn’t looking into any overseas vendors, but will reach out the Takahashi to check on timing. Is it takahashi_pearl_official on Instagram?

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much! These seem like wonderful options. I’ve never seen high grade akoya in person but feel the pink in one takahashi pair is probably fine. I’m actually leaving the country for a few months next week so wasn’t looking into any overseas vendors, but will reach out the Takahashi to check on timing. Is it takahashi_pearl_official on Instagram?

Yes, Takahashi_pearl_official on instagram.

Scintillkait

Rough_Rock
Thank you!! Another question - do any of you have experience with the various earring back options from Takahashi? I can’t tell if the $90 is a standard earring back size (as one would find with a Pearl Paradise earring) or if it’s mini/flimsy

D084AD46-5A76-49E8-BD41-A891DDBF8220.jpeg

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
Here is a picture of the $90 stud on a 8.1mm Pearl. The post is quite long, the same as the $170 option. The only difference is the back piece.

1690250729316.jpeg
1690250870390.jpeg

In my opinion the $90 piece is all you need and you can share a YG butterfly back with different earrings. With that said, my fiancée dislikes having to use this earring back and finds the butterfly back MUCH easier and nicer to use. The $170 piece has a very solid butterfly back but you CAN probably buy one just as nice for less than $80 elsewhere.

Scintillkait

Rough_Rock
Thank you @NY_Resonant, I’ve never used that style but looks like a good option

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you!! Another question - do any of you have experience with the various earring back options from Takahashi? I can’t tell if the $90 is a standard earring back size (as one would find with a Pearl Paradise earring) or if it’s mini/flimsy

D084AD46-5A76-49E8-BD41-A891DDBF8220.jpeg

On the $90 and $170 versions the post is 0.85-0.90mm in diameter and ~12mm long.

Pearl Paradise’s “heavyweight” posts are the same diameter but ~10mm long. Their normal posts are ~0.75mm diameter and ~10mm long.

12mm vs. 10mm long makes no practical difference. But 0.85-0.90mm vs 0.70-0.75mm diameter does make a material difference to me.

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock
Swinging potential customer's decision from another company.

I did feel that pair B from Pearl Paradise looks quite nice.

Of course, it's her decision in the end but she was asking about Pearl Paradise.

From a third person perspective, I felt sad for the company Pearl Paradise even though I haven't had purchasing experience with them.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Reviving an old thread just to find fault with members who provided requested assistance is a bit "out there" IMO.

I see confirmation bias at work. You formed a certain opinion about those members and are apparently now hunting through old threads for evidence that they are shilling. All I see is helpful people, and one person who is obsessed with finding fault with them.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Swinging potential customer's decision from another company.

I did feel that pair B from Pearl Paradise looks quite nice.

Of course, it's her decision in the end but she was asking about Pearl Paradise.

From a third person perspective, I felt sad for the company Pearl Paradise even though I haven't had purchasing experience with them.

Omg you are just commenting on every thread to crap on Takahashi. Why??? Stop.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@love_pearls Your contributions to this community have been minimal prior to yesterday - and since yesterday, they’ve been outright irrational. Whatever is going on, bumping old threads on the PriceScope Pearls forum to battle imaginary rivals and counter imaginary agendas isn’t going to be helpful to you…

For anyone new to the forum who might be reading this thread - Pearl Paradise is a phenomenal vendor from whom I’ve personally purchased multiple times and happily recommend. Various vendors will be best suited to fulfill different wants at different times and different pricepoints.

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock
@love_pearls Your contributions to this community have been minimal prior to yesterday - and since yesterday, they’ve been outright irrational. Whatever is going on, bumping old threads on the PriceScope Pearls forum to battle imaginary rivals and counter imaginary agendas isn’t going to be helpful to you…

For anyone new to the forum who might be reading this thread - Pearl Paradise is a phenomenal vendor from whom I’ve personally purchased multiple times and happily recommend. Various vendors will be best suited to fulfill different wants at different times and different pricepoints.

It happened this year. This thread was not that old.
I felt something was off so I tried to bring awareness.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not buying it. You are on a mission to find fault.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ditto. Pearlparadise is great. Zero complaints.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You’re not bringing awareness of anything, you’re just polluting the first page of the Pearls forum with old and resolved threads whilst making yourself look unhinged.

If you want to truly bring awareness, you could educate yourself on pearls, explore various vendors on your own dime, and contribute your experiences and thoughts as you explore. Instead of choosing to try to discredit others’ experiences and thoughts.

It happened this year. This thread was not that old.
I felt something was off so I tried to bring awareness.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thing is, you’re not bringing awareness, you’re just making yourself look unhinged.

If you want to truly bring awareness you could educate yourself on pearls, explore various vendors on your own dime, and contribute your experiences and thoughts as you explore.

No, that would actually involve effort and good faith. Clearly this user has an agenda of (trying, and failing) to make PS look biased from behind a keyboard.

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock
You’re not bringing awareness of anything, you’re just polluting the first page of the Pearls forum with old and resolved threads whilst making yourself look unhinged.

If you want to truly bring awareness you could educate yourself on pearls, explore various vendors on your own dime, and contribute your experiences and thoughts as you explore.

How come when someone asked about Takahashi, no one brought out another company and just chose a pair that the OP posted but when Someone asked about PP, he directed her to Takahashi?

Why I doubted the integrity of Takahashi?
It's because I saw the imitation or should I say direct copy of VCA clover?

I was thinking about purchasing from them but after seeing that image of them using the vca clover as the clasp, I changed my mind.

Seriously, I doubted their integrity.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How come when someone asked about Takahashi, no one brought out another company and just chose a pair that the OP posted but when Someone asked about PP, he directed her to Takahashi?

Why I doubted the integrity of Takahashi?
It's because I saw the imitation or should I say direct copy of VCA clover?

I was thinking about purchasing from them but after seeing that image of them using the vca clover as the clasp, I changed my mind.

Seriously, I doubted their integrity.

Then… Don’t… Why would we care who you buy from?

You conveniently ignored my comment that I didn’t like that they used that clover motif either. Too close to Alhambra for my tastes.

However, they were quite clearly NOT trying to replicate a Van Cleef Alhambra necklace. That distinction may not make a difference to you but it does to me. Your opinion is no more valid than mine (and mine is no more valid than yours).

This OP was directed to another vendor because another vendor was best suited to fulfill what she wanted at that time at her pricepoint. Precisely what I just explained, if you’d care to read my initial response. Having purchased from neither Pearl Paradise nor Takahashi yourself, I’m intrigued to learn that you have such strong opinions on what those vendors might specialize in.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Takahashi isn't copying vca. They aren't trying to pass it off as a vca piece, and vca doesn't sell anything like this. No one has to like that they made a clover clasp, but let's stop with the insane drama

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock
So only Takahashi then?

This forum is full of the same format from the same company. The thread title always starts or includes the company name 'Takahashi , and then in the content, it shows several choices of pearls from Takahashi, then everyone voted. Then of course, there are some praises and all that.

However, I have never or seldom come across same thing happening for other companies.

It comes to the point where it's so blind to say that Takahashi was not copying vca symbol ?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results