shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice/opinion about diamond?

jmubluedevil

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

I've been searching on-and-off for a few months to try to find a decent ~1 carat diamond in the $5k range. I was wondering if I might be able to get some thoughts on the following diamond suggested by someone over at Blue Nile . . .

http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-ideal-cut-i-color-si1-clarity_LD02263198

I've been told the diamond is eye clean and they are checking the fluorescence to make sure it isn't "hazy".

Any thoughts would be appreciated, I'm hoping to use either James Allen or Blue Nile for my purchase - both have had great service thus far.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I usually think James Allen has better prices than BN, but this is a good price if the stone really is eyeclean and is not affected negatively by the fluorescence (and most are not).

jmubluedevil

Rough_Rock
Great!

Thanks so much for your feedback. I'm strongly considering purchasing this diamond now.

jmubluedevil

Rough_Rock
Okay, they checked on the fluorescence and the diamond is not murky or cloudy.

Anything else I should know/consider about this diamond? This is probably the biggest purchase of my life so I'm a bit paranoid about it.

Thanks a ton for the help, if anyone can offer any.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Should be a nice stone if eye-clean. Bluenile has a good return policy just in case you dont like it. If you are getting
that stone in the $5k range thats pretty good!

jmubluedevil

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1318951322|3042710 said:
Should be a nice stone if eye-clean. Bluenile has a good return policy just in case you dont like it. If you are getting
that stone in the $5k range thats pretty good!

Great!

Thanks so much for the reply.

Last question - any advice you could give me about the width of the ring band? I've heard that 2 mm is pretty standard. I'm concerned about getting something that looks too thin on my gf's fingers - she has smaller hands with short fingers, ring size 7. Blue Nile has a nice looking "petite" solitaire setting that I like, but at 1.85 mm, I'm afraid it will look too thin. Any advice/opinion you could offer?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto PPs, nothing striking about the info on the report - and BN has a generous return policy if for some reason it does not meet your expectations IRL, and you're choosing a common size stone w/ an easily adjusted setting so getting the replacement set is not a concern either.

Re. the setting - would go with (18/14k) gold over plat for something that thin, plat is more easily bent out of shape and the prongs are hefty enough that alloyed gold's characteristic brittleness compared to plat isn't a worry.

jmubluedevil

Rough_Rock
Yssie|1318955193|3042765 said:
Re. the setting - would go with (18/14k) gold over plat for something that thin, plat is more easily bent out of shape and the prongs are hefty enough that alloyed gold's characteristic brittleness compared to plat isn't a worry.

Thanks for the feedback.

Do you think something like that is "too thin"? I'm really trying to make this a surprise so I can't really take her to try on rings. The "classic" solitaire setting is 2mm wide and they also have a "knife edge" solitaire style that is 2.5 mm. I like the look of them all so I guess I'm just trying to get a feel about what would probably look good on her finger.

jmubluedevil

Rough_Rock
Made the decision to purchase this diamond along with a 4 prong classic solitaire setting. Total price ended up being about $5,500 after a MasterCard discount code.

I hope I made a good choice, thanks to everyone who assisted me with this. This website is an amazing resource.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results