shape
carat
color
clarity

advice on

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RBseeker

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, been researching on these forums for a while and really learned a lot from those who contribute to these forums.
Would love some input on a diamond I have my eye on...its from Blue Nile.

This diamond is for an engagement ring and although its not the biggest, I would like it if its really sparkly. (My first soon to be engagement, lol)

anyway these are the specs

Round brilliant 0.83 carats
measurements 6.02-6.05 x 3.72
Cut grade AGS 0
Color grade F
Clarity VS2
Carat 0.83
fluorescence negligible

Depth 61.6%
Table 56.7%
Crown Angle 34.4
Pavillion Angle 40.9

Symmetry and polish: ideal/ideal
girdle - slightly thick to thick
culet: none

Sorry no sarin or idealscope pics online.
High quality diamond or could I find one with more sparkle?
I decided to go with ideal cut instead of BN signature ideal due to price difference, would this be an equally sparkly diamond to signature ideal?
Also price of this stone is about $3500, too high or good price

Thanks

RBseeker

Rough_Rock
Well, up late checking out more diamonds.
Checked out WF and found another diamond to compare from their ACA collection
Similar price to the first stone

0.803ct, Color:G, Clarity: VS2

Report: AGS
. Shape: Whiteflash ACA
. Carat: 0.803
. Depth %: 61.7
. Table %: 56.6
. Crown Angle: 34.8
. Crown %: 15.1
. Star : 51
. Pavilion Angle: 40.8
. Pavilion %: 42.9
. Lower Girdle %: 77
. Girdle: Thin to Medium Faceted
. Measurements: 5.94-5.98X3.68
. Light Performance: 0
. Polish: Ideal
. Symmetry: Ideal
. Culet: Pointed
. Fluorescence: Negligible

So for a similar price would the people in the know prefer the first stone with the better color or this one, and if so what was the tipping point for your decision?

Again input is greatly appreciated, thanks!!

Savvymon

Shiny_Rock
IMO: You would be better with the White Flash ACA because they are known for their quality and you can see a picture of the diamond. Although Im not much help with the numbers Ill leave that to a pro.

9.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Firstly Ideal Cut is only meaningful when referring to AGS0 cut grade, some diamonds which are called Ideal Cut by some vendors may not be well cut at all, so this term is no guarantee of anything or a certain cut quality.

Both the diamonds you posted look good, you might want to factor into your decision that the ACA is a branded h&a diamond, we don't know if the BN diamond will show arrows - but even if it does it won't be an actual h&a diamond. F to G colour I don't think you would notice any difference between them. Also WF have a lifetime upgrade policy whereas BN do not, so thats another factor to consider.

RBseeker

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice. Didn''t know about the lifetime upgrade from WF.
Any of the forum cut gurus able to weigh in on if one of the diamonds has more sparkle or is better overall (based on the numbers)?

Thanks again!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/16/2009 11:40:06 AM
Author: RBseeker
Thanks for the advice. Didn''t know about the lifetime upgrade from WF.
Any of the forum cut gurus able to weigh in on if one of the diamonds has more sparkle or is better overall (based on the numbers)?

Thanks again!
They both have great numbers, WF do provide images as you know so it would be good to see those to confirm the numbers. BN don''t provide any other info as you may be aware.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
The BN stone certainly has potential, but that''s about all you can say. I''d go for the WF stone. You know exactly what you''re getting, and it''s a great diamond.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/17/2009 9:05:09 AM
Author: Ellen
The BN stone certainly has potential, but that''s about all you can say. I''d go for the WF stone. You know exactly what you''re getting, and it''s a great diamond.
Ditto! Plus, you can always upgrade with WF, if that''s an option for you. BN doesn''t have an upgrade policy.

RBseeker

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone, thanks for all the advice.
Just an update on what happened (feel that is only appropriate after all the great advice)
I looked at a few more stones both online and at B&M stores. Compared various colors, sizes, settings etc.
The advice given here was great and fit with my impressions at B&M stores
My selection criteria was ideal cut, color G/H, clarity >VS2, size >.75 carat.
I initially wanted an F color, but could not tell the difference between F and H mounted so i went with H
I just wanted eye clean clarity but used Bluenile so thought above VS2 was good for a drop-shipper

The specs of the ring are
Round brilliant 5.92x5.97x3.65
AGS 0
color H
clarity VS2
carat 0.78

Table 55.1
Depth 61.3
Crown angle 34.3
pavillion angle 40.9

HCA 1.4

It was set in a six prong platinum solitare setting.

P.S. on a side note i initially got another ring from BN. The one that i described earlier in the post. It was also really nice but got this one due to better price - F vs H color. Both were AGS 0 but they looked different to me. The first one was really brilliant and white but the one I have now has more dispersion and scintillation. I can appreciate both qualities but am happy with my choice as I think my gf with appreciate the greater dispersion.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks very nice!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks nice.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results