shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on which diamond to select

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tjwm207

Rough_Rock
hello everyone
1.gif

i''m currently looking for a diamond for an engagement ring. i''ve looked around all the stores and narrowed down my search to the following 2. Both are rated by International Gemological Institute (Japan).

1. Shape and Cut: Round Brilliant
Measurements: 4.34 - 4.36 x 2.64 mm
Carat Weight: 0.303 ct
Color Grade: E
Clarity Grade: Internally Flawless
Cut Grade: Excellent
Table Diameter: 57%
Crown Height: 14.0%
Pavilion Depth: 43%
Culet Size: Medium
Girdle Thickness: Medium (Faceted)
Finish: Excellent
Fluorescence: Medium

2. Shape and Cut: Round Brilliant
Measurements: 4.53 - 4.56 x 2.80 mm
Carat Weight: 0.355 ct
Color Grade: F
Clarity Grade: VVS-1
Cut Grade: Excellent
Table Diameter: 57%
Crown Height: 14.8%
Pavilion Depth: 43%
Culet Size: Very Small (Abraded)
Girdle Thickness: Medium (Faceted)
Finish: Excellent
Fluorescence: None

I took a look at both under the Idealscope and found that both do not differ very much. Can hardly see any difference.

Both are also at about the same price.

Also, looking at the ratings, there are certain points which I am not sure how it contributes to the overall brilliance of the diamond.

Further, its rated by IGI (Japan). Knowing that it is not as popular as GIA or AGS, will there be any issues/concerns that I should have?

If you were in my shoes, which one would you pick?

Thanks a lot people. Just trying to be certain before I spend my money.

cheers.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I assume you just want a small, perfect diamond for these color and clarity grades, since for the laymen criteria of "white-clean-well cut", E-IF and F-VVS are overkill on all fronts. I am just writing this because going for higher grades than eyes need is a common buyer's fallacy - no idea wether it is yours or you trully want top grades on paper. Both approaches are just a justified, I guess...

This being said, I have yet to hear anything bad about the Japanese branch of IGI. Other branches (Canada, US) are considered somewhat lenient in their color and clarity grades compared to good old GIA.

You surely have two top gems there, and choosing would be hard... Do you have a coin handy to toss? If "perfection" is the aim of your selection, I'd go for E-IF for the sake of the grades on paper. Fluorescence does not bother me (actually it may be a fun fact about your diamond) and given your direct look at ligt return, I would disregard the HCA results on these, since it is a rougher test than your test and view of the actual stones.

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
tjwm, have u read thru the PS tutorial and some of the threads? unless u personally still prefer to shell out a ton for the d-f/if-vvs2 rating, why dont u drop the clarity and colour to get a 0.45ct or so. personally i feel that it will really be a much nicer gesture and it wont be over the top for her in sg
5.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
I agree. I would get a light 1/2ct in the G-H SI range.
BTW, IGI Japan is good. Actually all IGI's are pretty good, with the exception of the NYC lab, which tends to be lenient.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results