shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on WF solitaire settings and eternity bands please

NorthernIce

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I am planning to propose in September and will be buying an engagement ring and wedding band combo over the next weeks.

My partner and I have done some window and virtual shopping together so I know her preference is a simple yellow gold 6 prong solitaire ER with an eternity band. However we agreed I would make the final selection to keep some element of surprise.

I am debating between settings and I am hoping some of you may have experience with these (individually or as a combo) or even pictures that could help me decide.

Engagement ring: Contemporary Classic Solitaire or Elegant Classic Solitaire
Wedding band: Elena or Diamonds for an Eternity

While shopping she consistently preferred stones around 0.5ct but after reading so many stories of people quickly wishing they had gotten bigger I believe I will go in the .75 to .85 range.

Thank you!!

DiaLuv

Shiny_Rock
Hi NorthernIce,

I have the Elena
eternity band and love it. It is 3/4 instead of a full eternity. Here is a picture with my engagement ring.

IMG_1475.JPG

NorthernIce

Rough_Rock
Hi NorthernIce,

I have the Elena
eternity band and love it. It is 3/4 instead of a full eternity. Here is a picture with my engagement ring.

Hi Mary,

You have beautiful rings! May I ask what is the setting of your engagement ring? Is it also from Whiteflash?

Thank you so much for the picture it helps me get a sense of proportions.

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
Pretty Dialuv,

you don’t have to wear spacer ? That may be an advantage for the OP!

DiaLuv

Shiny_Rock
My engagement ring diamond is a CBI 1.88ct, L color.
Setting is Vatche Royal Crown 119, set in 18k, with platinum head.
WhiteFlash set it for me. I was living in Houston area at the time 2014. WhiteFlash was very convenient.
No spacer is needed

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock
Love the yellow gold. I have the yellow gold knife edge from Whiteflash.

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
Does her finger swell up in the summer? Sometime finger size change between seasons. Also pregnancy might change finger size. Eternity ring is not recommended to resize and some say it’s impossible to resize. This might be something you and her need to decide.

I want to bring this up to you so you know it. I personally would go for 3/4 eternity instead of full eternity so you can resize if needed. Too many stories of people can’t wear their eternity ring anymore due to finger size changes.

NorthernIce

Rough_Rock
My e-ring is the exquisite half round solitaire ring with 2.97 I VS1 ACA from Whiteflash paired with .56 ctw 7-stone band from Hearts on Fire. Size 4.25

Wow this is stunning! Lovely proportions!

Because your ER center stone is larger it pairs well with the exquisite half round which has consistent width throughout the shank. I was leaning towards the Contemporary or the Elegant because they both have a slight taper towards the head which I hope would make the smaller center stone stand out more.

Similarly your wedding band with 8pts stones is lovely but I think it would overpower my ~0.8ct ER center stone.

The stones on the WF Diamonds for an Eternity are 4pts and I'm not sure if even this would be a bit much to pair for the modest ER? Those on the Elena (posted by DiaLuv) are 1.5pts and might be a better choice?

NorthernIce

Rough_Rock
Does her finger swell up in the summer? Sometime finger size change between seasons. Also pregnancy might change finger size. Eternity ring is not recommended to resize and some say it’s impossible to resize. This might be something you and her need to decide.

I want to bring this up to you so you know it. I personally would go for 3/4 eternity instead of full eternity so you can resize if needed. Too many stories of people can’t wear their eternity ring anymore due to finger size changes.

Thank you for the tip @diamondnewbieny! I will go for 3/4 eternity to avoid such problems.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with your logic to go with a .75-.85 to prevent Diamond Shrinkage Syndrom any time soon. What size finger does your GF have?

You can ask WF if they have any pictures of a stone in your size in both those settings. Might help.

I prefer the more tapered band of the Contemporary with a .75+ size stone. I think it will accentuate the stone plus it is ever so slightly smaller
width at 2.1 vs 2.3 (both are safely thick though).

For the wedding band... I prefer the Diamonds for an Eternity band. It seems slightly more substantial in the case she ever wants to only
wear her band. It already has a sizing bar which is great. I dont think 4 ptrs will overpower her ering.

I dont think you can go wrong with the combos you are looking at! Congrats on your upcoming Engagement!!!

NorthernIce

Rough_Rock
I agree with your logic to go with a .75-.85 to prevent Diamond Shrinkage Syndrom any time soon. What size finger does your GF have?

She is a size 7. I always found this surprising because she is overall very petite a bit under 5ft tall and she is not overweight. It seems most here on Prisecope are around 5.

You can ask WF if they have any pictures of a stone in your size in both those settings. Might help.

I prefer the more tapered band of the Contemporary with a .75+ size stone. I think it will accentuate the stone plus it is ever so slightly smaller
width at 2.1 vs 2.3 (both are safely thick though).

Whiteflash did send me pictures of the 2 ER settings side by send which was helpful but they did not have pictures of the specific combos at hand.

For the wedding band... I prefer the Diamonds for an Eternity band. It seems slightly more substantial in the case she ever wants to only
wear her band. It already has a sizing bar which is great. I dont think 4 ptrs will overpower her ering.

I dont think you can go wrong with the combos you are looking at! Congrats on your upcoming Engagement!!!

Thank you for your recommendation about the 4 ptrs. I am hoping someone here has experience combining this band with a solitaire ER in similar size as mine and could also share hands on feedback.

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
I think you should leave the wedding band until after the engagement. Then you can go shopping in stores and assess what size stones you like together.

NorthernIce

Rough_Rock
I think you should leave the wedding band until after the engagement. Then you can go shopping in stores and assess what size stones you like together.

Thank you for your advice @molecule. I was hoping to make it easier by picking both at the same time and ensuring they fit together. I want to avoid picking an ER and later regretting if we can find the right match. But I am starting to realize perhaps I am overcomplicating this considering we are going for a very simple and classic design choice.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results