shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on this Setting Please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pedromt

Rough_Rock
someone recently posted about a website that sells settings: Chic Jewelry I found a setting I really liked on there, and I've had a correspondence with them. The thing is this, talking to the good people at Whiteflash on the phone, they say that their price is too suspicious and that Whiteflash's jeweler won't set the diamonds for me if I send them the setting because he thinks the price of this setting is too unrealistic. Please let me know what you all think, The correspondence I've had with chicjewelry is below.

Thanks,
-Pedro

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, June 02, 2003 8:56 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Your settings...

I was wondering if your setting: P2802, the three stone
platinum one, can be purchased without any stones and set
with diamonds by a jeweler? Please let me know.

Thank you,

-Pedro Tavares

On Mon, 2 Jun 2003 09:39:36 -0700
"Customer Service" <[email protected] wrote:

Hi Pedro,
Yes you could purchase the item # P2802 with out the
stones.
Please advise.
Ophelia

Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 2:50 PM
To: Customer Service
Subject: Re: Your settings...

Ophelia, could you give me a little more info on the
setting? It is platinum correct? Could you tell me how
much it weighs perhaps in a 6.5 size, how thick is the
band and what kind of platinum do you use? This price
seems unusually low... is $489 the correct price for the
setting without the stones? Item #P2802

Thank you,

-Pedro Tavares

On Tue, 3 Jun 2003 15:3:31 -0700

Hi Pedro,
Sure, the width of the band is approximately 3.5mm.
Platinum used is 950.
95% Platinum 5% Iridium.Item #P2802 in Platinum in size
6.5 will weight
around 8-9 grams. Why the price is low, because we are
the manufacturer,
there are no other people in the middle to make money in
between us and our
customers. The settings are solid and are used for
diamonds as well. We do
realize that other companies are charging much more for
platinum. We can
maintain our business by offering affordable jewelry with
outstanding
quality.
Please take your time and check what our customers say
about their ordered
items. (Testimonials)

If you have any questions, feel free to contact us.
Ophelia

Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 3:45 PM
To: Customer Service
Subject: Re: Your settings...

Ophelia, thanks for the prompt reply. That sounds rather
phenomenal. Would you happen to have this same setting or
a similar 3 stone setting that would fit a .8-.9 center
stone & .25-.3 side stones?

Thank you again for your time,

-Pedro

On Tue, 3 Jun 2003 15
6.gif
3:31 -0700

Pedro,
We could customize item #p2802 to fit the desired carat weight.

Please advise.

pedromt

Rough_Rock
Also, Whiteflash quoted me a price of $1250 to make the setting custom from them and Abazias quoted me a price of $800.

The price from Chicjewelry itself is $489

pedromt

Rough_Rock
Just also looked up Chicjewelry's information from the Better Business Bureau... it's clean..

BBB: ChicJewelry

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I guess that since they would have to custom cast the ring for your stone size, you wouldn't be able to return it if it was not properly made...however, if it is well made, then there is no reason why a vendor should refuse to set a stone purchased from them. Especially since the weight seems quite substantial. My custom setting weighs 11 grams of plat, and it is almost too heavy. I think that you probably should not have told WF what the pricing was, maybe a little resentment there? Just a guess, though. Good luck with your situation.
10.gif

pedromt

Rough_Rock
I don't think so, WhiteFlash has been more than curteous and Denise has been more than helpful. She originally told me that she would go for that setting herself if she were in my situation, it wasn't until after talking to their jeweler that she told me the jeweler had some reservations.

Thanks for the reply.

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Pedromt,

I would still try to approach Denise about this, then. Did you mention how much the ring setting weighs? Maybe the setter just assumed that with that price tag that it would be too lightweight to support the stone(s) properly. Good luck with whatever you decide.
10.gif

Nate

Shiny_Rock
I'd be interested to know why WF would not want to set the stones...?
confused.gif
They said they *won't* or they said the had reservations?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Find out from Denise/Lesley what the jeweler said that caused reservations. Until you know more on what changed Denise from the 'get it from them' mentality to 'we have reservations after talking to their jeweler', you can't jump to conclusions.

Their email string sounds up front, they referred you to testimonials..doesn't sound like they are hiding much?

Why would WF not set the stones into a ring/setting of your choice? What would it matter to them? Thats what you need to find out.

pedromt

Rough_Rock
Denise received a full copy of my conversations with chicjewelry as well and as far as I know is watching this thread. She had all the information that chicjewelry sent me before speaking to the jeweler... so from what she's told me, the jeweler just thinks that there's no way anyone could sell a setting at that price and that he thinks it's "just too suspcious." - Her exact words. So I dunno...
confused.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Settings such as Vatche (& I suspect they are not the only ones) have keystone markups. That means that if the setting costs a vendor 500, they must sell it near 1,000.00. Diamonds are on less of a markup than settings.

That said, I do not know enough about platinum prices to know if the price is realistic. I am uncertain as to why WF has come to their conclusion without even viewing or having any experience with the setting.

pedromt

Rough_Rock
so what would you do? Order setting & stones separate and get them set elsewhere, save about $400 on the setting or just let WF handle it?

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I just don't know, but I would be feeling pretty unhappy about the situation at this point. Have you tried to call Denise back and asked to speak with the jeweler? You will be paying more than $400 extra if you go with their setting, closer to $700 or more. Is it worth it to you? Only you know the answer to that. Sorry for your dilemma.
10.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 6/5/2003 2:53:49 PM pedromt wrote:

so what would you do? Order setting & stones separate and get them set elsewhere, save about $400 on the setting or just let WF handle it?
----------------

I don't know. It is a natural (and a savvy business practice) for WF to want to provide the setting also. This puts less pressure on you as well. The ball is all in their court to produce a finished product. It maximizes their profit & gives them full control (not a bad thing necessarily).

However, is the extra money worth the sweat equity on your part? Only you can decide. What kind of guarantee will the setting company give you? What type of return policy? What were the specific objections of the jeweler (who, from your stated info, did not see or has experience w/ this setting).

Need more info to compute.

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
pedromt:

Firstly thank you for this courteous post. The reason we did not feel comfortable setting the diamonds in the setting is primarily because the price appears to be too good to be true. Rings that look good in pictures don't always look like that when they arrive. We have had a number of customers send in settings purchased elsewhere and have absolutely no problem setting our diamonds in a setting purchased elsewhere. However, from experience, settings that are suspiciously low priced more often than not have something that is not 100%. In the early days of Whiteflash we worked with a very well know national ring company. Their prices were not cheap, but very fair, and we found that we had to rework the rings every single time i.e. prongs were uneven, porosity was evident in the metal etc...

We have very high standards here at Whiteflash and porosity, uneven casting or any other inconsistency just doesn't cut it for us. So please see where we are coming from. That being said, the e-mails you posted look very upfront. If you purchase the setting and have them send it to us, we can examine it for you and then give you our feedback. Just make sure that there is a return policy that you feel comfortable with. Final note - the reason our ring is priced as it is is because it would be fully custom made by Platinum by Le according to the exact specs of your diamonds and to the specifications you described.

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Bravo & well handled Lesley at White Flash!
appl.gif
appl.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
There ya go. Straight from the source!
1.gif
I would buy the cheaper ring, have it sent to WF and see what they say. If it doesn't pass muster, return it and get theirs. Or just go custom straight from the beginning. BTW we were looking at LE rings on WF originally, they look very beautiful--I like the delicate look within a solitaire.

Good luck!
1.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Jewelers take a big risk every time they set stones into settings they do not sell themselves. Lesley pointed out many quality issues they have encountered with settings purchased elsewhere.

Other businesses have situations where they will not work on items brought in by customers. In another line of business involving custom engraving, I have friend who owns her own Irish Crystal shop. Her store policy is to NOT engrave items brought in by customers that her store does not carry. Why? Because if the item gets dropped or damaged, an error is made on the engraving, or the glass is uneven and the piece breaks, she cannot replace the item. If you purchase a piece elsewhere that she carries herself, she will be more than happy to have her engraver work on it for you. If something happens, she can and will replace the item totally free of charge.

Thoughts from a different perspective. The jewelers at White Flash are artisans. If the ring you select is a quality product, they will set the diamonds for you. The folks at White Flash are fair and honest with tons of experience. They are not trying to corner your setting business. They just want to be sure you have the best quality setting.
1.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 6/5/2003 5:58
6.gif
5 PM pqcollectibles wrote:

The folks at White Flash are fair and honest with tons of experience. They are not trying to corner your setting business. They just want to be sure you have the best quality setting.
1.gif

----------------

PQ, I have to differ with the later point. WF *indeed* makes money on the setting. WF is *indeed* better off if they control the entire process. THIS IS NOT A BAD THING. It is a savvy business decision. If Ped. is willing to accept the extra effort & fruit or fruitlessness of his decision then *that* is the crux of my point.

I think it is admireable that WF is willing to do what the *customer* wants. When control is lost - things can go wrong - i.e. - customer may not be happy (not the diamond's or WF fault). I can not fathom that they would refute this point. If he goes w/ chic setting -is his decision correct?.....only time will tell.

My personal opinion - WF setting not only is the bird in the hand - it's *sounds?* like the better setting. But, some of those CZ "settings" can be quite good. The CZ people make money off of the ....shall we say..."stone".

Again, Lesley/WF, I commend you for your flexiblity & handeling head on the situation. P.Q., they are not trying to "corner the market". It is simply good business for them & the consumer. However, to add, it's not the least expensive of solutions.

just trying to present all sides.

pedromt

Rough_Rock
thanks for all your inputs. I'll just haveta juggle the pro's/cons of everything. Denise did tell me today that they would be willing to set the diamonds if I did go with the setting from chic for $80 per diamond. So that is an option, I'll just have to make my decision wisely. My girl's down with me this weekend so I'll haveta wait till she leaves before I can do too much more business. That being said, thank you to you all, Denise & Lesley especially. You'll hear more from me next week as the saga continues
1.gif

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
Pedromt,

There is a HUGE markup on settings you can find in conventional
stores and on the internet....

The bottom line is that there's a price you should pay for platinum
and another one for gold.

Depending on the number of people working on the metal before
the ring is in your hands, you'll have to pay more or less.
"Designers" line are pretty expensive too.

I don't think so that the price you found on ChicJewelry is too
good to be true.

I can give you a personal example... I just bought 2 wedding rings
14K, two-tone, 6 mm wide, 15grams...for 280$US (both).
Price was negotiated according to a certain amount per gram of gold.

Trichrome.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
I initially thought their prices were too good to be true as well, until I did my research and communicated with Ophelia from Chic Jewelry. She eased a lot of my concerns and answered all of my emailed questions....in literally minutes and hours. Since they manufacture their own jewelry, they can customize any piece without the mark-up. I had my e-ring setting custom made by them, and I have been nothing but impressed with the quality, customer service and production time.

My setting is platinum, and it is heavy with a "Plat 950" stamp. The underside of the band has gotten the patina sheen (everyday wear and tear), but everything else is still as shiny and lustrous as when I first received it. They are definitely the real deal, and I''m thankful that I found them.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results