shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on this sapphire

bella3x

Rough_Rock
(Dozens of similar threads already, so if there’s a bigger thread for people like me, I’ll be happy to “get merged” =)2)

After venturing into pearls, I keep returning to one colored gemstone - sapphire.

I have 1 sapphire ring that was sold to me as no heat Ceylon sapphire (never bothered to check it, I know…) and love it, but now am going for size because it’s so tiny.
I want an oval, 8.5 x 6 mm or 9x7 mm for under USD 1000, so can’t be very picky.

Do you think that the attached sapphire would look similar to what I have (the ring in the photo)? It’s somewhat lopsided cut and has a bit of a window (I think, have been trying to educate myself) but I am quite drawn to it somehow.

Thank you in advance! :pray: 1F1CDE5B-F142-4F37-A21A-0EAD4FB9763A.jpeg

Attachments

• 94148A0C-5704-4F66-9447-6E0B9159188B.jpeg
    94148A0C-5704-4F66-9447-6E0B9159188B.jpeg
    581.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 5F404F26-BA17-4B2B-A56C-0FD7E3FB1312.jpeg
    5F404F26-BA17-4B2B-A56C-0FD7E3FB1312.jpeg
    193 KB · Views: 37

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t seem to feel the light source is similar between the two pictures so that’s a hurdle right off the bat.
My gut tells me it’s going to be lighter /greyer.
So I wouldn’t consider it very similar.

Plus - especially if you plan to set it n/s orientation - I think the elongated oval will inevitably show extinction in a way totally different than your current set stone - so that will also contribute to it not looking similar overall.

So - really depends on how nit picky one is on what’s similar vs what’s not?

RE: the window size - that in itself wouldn’t bother me in this stone. If it showed a massive tilt window (probably in one direction only) would be a different consideration.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lighter is lighter in tone and grayer. The off-centre culet doesn't bother me.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
You are correct in your assessment - the culet is off centre and there's a tiny window. While those are obviously cutting flaws, the question is - do you care? Does it bother you? Because if not, it's an excellent way to save money.

The point raised above about half/half extinction is completely valid, although with a stone that's lighter in colour you'll end up with shadowing more likely - one half is darker blue than the other, rather than black. In any case, with elongated shapes you want to see pictures in every orientation, not just e/w.

It's difficult to judge whether this sapphire will look similar to the one you already have based on these photos alone. If you haven't seen the stone in person you have to trust the vendor has provided accurate pictures and even then you need to account for differences in the screen you're viewing them on. Most often the blue in pictures of blue sapphires is oversaturated a bit, and the stone doesn't really look like that in real life.

In any case, the old ring isn't going anywhere. You still get to enjoy it any time you want. The new one doesn't have to be the same. And if it isn't, you get to enjoy two different but equally beautiful blue stones.

bella3x

Rough_Rock
Wow, thanks a lot for such informative replies!! I had to google what extinction means - am familiar with bow ties in oval diamonds, but had no idea that colored stones could behave like that. And will have to google what a “blue grayish” sapphire means as well... Lighter shade I don’t mind, I think.

Avondale, I love the “new one doesn’t have to be the same” thought :roll: l really don’t mind natural imperfections or some “shadowing”.

Will need to sleep on it, but if I end up ordering this sapphire, I’ll share all details and impressions here =)2

I think you have some great advice here already... @Avondale hit the nail on the head. As you said, for a 9x7mm oval under $1,000, you'll have to make some concessions, BUT that doesn't mean you can't find the perfect stone for you. You're looking at a 2-3ct. sapphire, depending on the cut. With regard to this sapphire, yes, the culet is off-center, but the window is quite small. I wouldn't worry about it. The clarity looks good (just inquire about any major flaws we're not seeing). There could be something near the girdle where the bottom tweezer prong is in your photos. I see a weird reflection, but that could just be an optical illusion. I mention it only because, if it's a fracture, it could be a durability issue in that spot. I don't want to be critical; I just feel a duty to mention it just in case. I like these lighter-toned cornflower shades. Just look for as high a saturation as possible to avoid gray undertones. If this one looks like the photo in person, it's quite lovely. Lastly, you'll want to look for heat-only as far as treatment is concerned... beware of diffused stones. "Be" blues aren't as prevalent as yellows, for instance, but in this price-range, I'd just want to be certain (unless you don't mind). Happy hunting!!

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
(Dozens of similar threads already, so if there’s a bigger thread for people like me, I’ll be happy to “get merged” =)2)

After venturing into pearls, I keep returning to one colored gemstone - sapphire.

I have 1 sapphire ring that was sold to me as no heat Ceylon sapphire (never bothered to check it, I know…) and love it, but now am going for size because it’s so tiny.
I want an oval, 8.5 x 6 mm or 9x7 mm for under USD 1000, so can’t be very picky.

Do you think that the attached sapphire would look similar to what I have (the ring in the photo)? It’s somewhat lopsided cut and has a bit of a window (I think, have been trying to educate myself) but I am quite drawn to it somehow.

Thank you in advance! :pray: 1F1CDE5B-F142-4F37-A21A-0EAD4FB9763A.jpeg

I love your ring! It’s adorable with the old cut diamonds.

I would just ask if the circled part is an inclusion as others have said. It looks like a nice color. In the first photo it looks a bit lavender which I personally like. It might be shifty from lavender to blue depending on the light.

Also find out the return policy.

1759627B-BFD7-4F37-B5C2-102B4665202C.jpeg

I love your ring! It’s adorable with the old cut diamonds.

I would just ask if the circled part is an inclusion as others have said. It looks like a nice color. In the first photo it looks a bit lavender which I personally like. It might be shifty from lavender to blue depending on the light.

Also find out the return policy.

1759627B-BFD7-4F37-B5C2-102B4665202C.jpeg

Thank you for better explaining/highlighting it, Casey! It may be nothing of consequence or nothing at all, but it's always good to mention it. I too love a touch of violet in these lighter blues.

bella3x

Rough_Rock
@Autumn in New England and @CaseyLouLou, thank you!! This sapphire has what looked like 2 dark crystals precisely in the area you highlighted / are talking about, which don’t bother me but lower the price (I assumed, since it’s not eye clean anymore).

These crystals also reassured me that the stone in the fancy studio photos is the same as in the hand photo, it’s those 2 dots I highlighted.

I actually didn’t sleep on it and bought it already because it really appealed to me. I won’t receive it until mid-January or so, because I asked the seller to hold off sending it (I’m going away for holidays) and he has been fantastic so far, and even offered a free upgrade of shipping to FedEx.

Really curious what it will look like when it arrives - especially since it was advertised as no heat. Might not even be any gemologists in our little town, so I’ll have to buy a proper loupe and learn how to distinguish certain inclusions :geek2:

Attachments

• AF5D92DF-027A-4D41-AF80-81A635C469B3.jpeg
    AF5D92DF-027A-4D41-AF80-81A635C469B3.jpeg
    470.5 KB · Views: 3
@Autumn in New England and @CaseyLouLou, thank you!! This sapphire has what looked like 2 dark crystals precisely in the area you highlighted / are talking about, which don’t bother me but lower the price (I assumed, since it’s not eye clean anymore).

These crystals also reassured me that the stone in the fancy studio photos is the same as in the hand photo, it’s those 2 dots I highlighted.

I actually didn’t sleep on it and bought it already because it really appealed to me. I won’t receive it until mid-January or so, because I asked the seller to hold off sending it (I’m going away for holidays) and he has been fantastic so far, and even offered a free upgrade of shipping to FedEx.

Really curious what it will look like when it arrives - especially since it was advertised as no heat. Might not even be any gemologists in our little town, so I’ll have to buy a proper loupe and learn how to distinguish certain inclusions :geek2:

Congrats! Well I do hope you love it. :) And I wouldn't be worried about a couple of small crystals. I was just initially concerned about a possible surface-reaching feather or fracture. Check back in and let us know what you think!!

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats! Well I do hope you love it. :) And I wouldn't be worried about a couple of small crystals. I was just initially concerned about a possible surface-reaching feather or fracture. Check back in and let us know what you think!!

I was going to say the same thing - if the inclusions aren’t obvious by eye and the stone looks pretty then you don’t need to obsess over them with a loupe other than to confirm there’s nothing that wasn’t disclosed.

bella3x

Rough_Rock
Happy new year! In a completely unexpected turn of events, my boyfriend who apparently has been planning to propose for months now and heard me obsessing with sapphires, proposed with this beauty.

I suspect that the sapphire is synthetic (louped it, can clearly see horizontal and not angled color zoning, if that makes sense + it just looks too perfect), but absolutely love the ring and the fact that my now fiancé have chosen it himself. However, I can’t help but wonder: how difficult is it to source and replace a non-calibrated sapphire? Can’t find my calipers, but it seems to be around 5.5x7 mm. Not sure if it’ll bother me wearing a synthetic gemstone in my engagement ring.

(And the sapphire that I ordered will arrive very soon, no idea what I’ll do with it now…)

Attachments

• 6F6AD78A-58E4-461C-8D74-BE0EE6B30575.jpeg
    6F6AD78A-58E4-461C-8D74-BE0EE6B30575.jpeg
    173 KB · Views: 43
  • 5EA80748-0248-4A3A-9F29-A8BBE7D8332D.jpeg
    5EA80748-0248-4A3A-9F29-A8BBE7D8332D.jpeg
    162.7 KB · Views: 44
Wow! Big congratulations to you and your partner!! :appl: That is a beautimous ring, truly. I wouldn't be so quick to discount the stone as synthetic. Perhaps find a local G.G. and get his/her expert opinion. If the G.G. feels it could be natural, I'd send the piece off to AGL or GIA (I think their mounted fee is less) for testing.

With regard to your question about replacing a non-calibrated sapphire, first I would definitely get a proper measurement. You'll be surprised what you can find out there, and sometimes there's a little wiggle room with these mountings. If all else fails, you could always have one custom cut. Congrats again!!

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
I'm going to assume you've accepted (congratulations!) and say that your fiancé has excellent taste. Classic design, beautiful profile, and just a touch of practicality with the lower setting. I know most people will prefer the lighter shades, but give me a luscious, deep blue sapphire any day... swoon

From what little I know, lab grown material is characterised by curved lines, rather than horizontal/angled. Straight lines = natural so I also wouldn't be too quick to presume.

And the sapphire that I ordered will arrive very soon, no idea what I’ll do with it now…

One can never have too many sapphire rings... :twisted2:

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
I highly, highly doubt it’s synthetic. Definitely send it to a lab. It’s a lovely color and style. He did well. Definitely send it to a lab and let us know. GIA is only about $100.

Congrats!

bella3x

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for congratulations!! I love my engagement ring and feel very encouraged by your feedback :)
I am however located in small town Europe, so sending the ring off to a reputable lab will probably be a logistical nightmare (the closest ones seem to be in Switzerland, but they are outside of the EU, so that won’t be easy either), so I’ll follow @Autumn in New England’s advice and try to find a gemologist here, simply because I’m too curious to not know :D

bella3x

Rough_Rock
And the original sapphire has finally arrived! It’s definitely the same gem - I can see the 2 crystals(?) if I stare at it. It photographs brighter than my eyes see it, the photo of it alone is the closest I could get to the actual color I see. Really beautiful, better than I expected! I apparently prefer darker sapphires, but I am happy that it has a very different character, because then I can join the “one can never have too many sapphire rings” club, @Avondale :razz:

This was the Etsy listing: https://www.etsy.com/no-en/listing/731985823/ And the seller is ThaiGemsCo - s/he was super sweet and quick to respond. The sapphire cost USD 6XX and I got a 10% discount code which I didn’t see until after I placed the order, so I got a free upgrade to FedEx delivery instead.

Will probably check this sapphire too if I find a gemologist, because why not. But all in all, very happy with my purchase! Thank you for advice - you folks truly are the best :kiss2:

Attachments

• 53FF9423-1113-45CB-B757-85C06BDF19FF.jpeg
    53FF9423-1113-45CB-B757-85C06BDF19FF.jpeg
    155.3 KB · Views: 37
  • F0D0C79B-BABD-4CF0-AD59-FC1EF9B7FB9F.jpeg
    F0D0C79B-BABD-4CF0-AD59-FC1EF9B7FB9F.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 37

KLC

Shiny_Rock
Happy new year! In a completely unexpected turn of events, my boyfriend who apparently has been planning to propose for months now and heard me obsessing with sapphires, proposed with this beauty.

I suspect that the sapphire is synthetic (louped it, can clearly see horizontal and not angled color zoning, if that makes sense + it just looks too perfect), but absolutely love the ring and the fact that my now fiancé have chosen it himself. However, I can’t help but wonder: how difficult is it to source and replace a non-calibrated sapphire? Can’t find my calipers, but it seems to be around 5.5x7 mm. Not sure if it’ll bother me wearing a synthetic gemstone in my engagement ring.

(And the sapphire that I ordered will arrive very soon, no idea what I’ll do with it now…)

Congratulations! That ring is absolutely gorgeous!

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Hey, that new sapphire is actually very pretty! You gotta show us how you decide to set it!

Re gem labs, if you're in the EU, you have IGI in Belgium and Italy. Also chances are you have a small local lab in your own country which can save you the international shipping.

Redwoods-hiker-girl

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on your engagement, @bella3x! Oh, your ring is beautiful, as is your loose sapphire. I'm another member of the "I want all the sapphire rings" club! :kiss2:

bella3x

Rough_Rock
Hey, that new sapphire is actually very pretty! You gotta show us how you decide to set it!

Re gem labs, if you're in the EU, you have IGI in Belgium and Italy. Also chances are you have a small local lab in your own country which can save you the international shipping.
I’m actually trying to read up if 0.5mm too long and 0.5 mm too narrow is too much of a size difference for a standard 8x6 mount. So many fun preowned options! Otherwise, found a seller on Etsy that seems to customize their settings for ok prices, so thinking about east-west setting with 2 tiny diamonds on each side.

Thank you for the tip about labs! Will check out IGI (after I find a GG), they weren’t on my radar.

bella3x

Rough_Rock
Congratulations on your engagement, @bella3x! Oh, your ring is beautiful, as is your loose sapphire. I'm another member of the "I want all the sapphire rings" club! :kiss2:
Thank you <3
I feel like sapphires are more ME than pearls - that’s for sure… And now I want a pink one… :mrgreen2: But I can’t just keep buying loose stones (I have 2 pairs of diamonds, natural and lab grown, still unset), so will see what I end up doing.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results