shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on this oval stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SKR

Shiny_Rock
Hello all.

I need some advice (again-sorry!)

I have been offered a 3.6 carat D VS2 Oval diamond which has a few things mentioned in the GIA cert which concern me slighty -

1. Clouds not shown - why wouldnt GIA plot the cloud on their diagram ?
2. Extra facet - how much does this impact the diamonds appearance and it''s value ?
3. It also has flour which I am not that stressed about but would likeopinions on (esp given it''s a D colour stone)
4. The cert is dated early 2004. Looks like the stone is already mounted so its probably preowned.

All advice aprreciated. Thanks

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2006 12:34:10 PM
Author:SKR

1. Clouds not shown - why wouldnt GIA plot the cloud on their diagram ?
because it would look like someone''s red ink pen leaked on the plot
23.gif
and it wouldn''t really correlate to what your eyes see.

2. Extra facet - how much does this impact the diamonds appearance and it''s value ?
an extra facet is usually present when the cutter polishes off an external blemish on the stone. instead of a little ''dull'' area of diamond, you have a sparkly one.
2.gif

3. It also has flour which I am not that stressed about but would likeopinions on (esp given it''s a D colour stone)
it depends on the strength and the color (of the fluorescence)

4. The cert is dated early 2004. Looks like the stone is already mounted so its probably preowned.
old report and mounted don''t necessarily equal ''preowned''. you should find out for sure though because preowned diamond in original setting should be considerably less than a new version.

SKR

Shiny_Rock

Thanks Belle. So the extra facet has no impact on value whatsoever ?

The vendor tells me that its never been worn before - he got it certified in early 2004 but never mounted it for sale. It has medium blue FL.

Picture below (I do not like the setting so will get that changed) -

DVS2OVAL.jpg

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I love, love, love that setting! What a gorgous piece!

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/28/2006 7:54:27 AM
Author: SKR

Thanks Belle. So the extra facet has no impact on value whatsoever ?

The vendor tells me that its never been worn before - he got it certified in early 2004 but never mounted it for sale. It has medium blue FL.

Picture below (I do not like the setting so will get that changed) -

Hi SKR:
35.gif

An extra facet is usually just to remove a small surface inclusion or other feature like Belle mentions. It often does not effect grading and it’s in the comments section of the cert.

Extra facets are not unusual to see and cutters when maximizing their rough sometimes go back to remove a natural if it improves the diamond's value.They are generally very small and are located on the underneath/pavilon side near the girdle.

With a 3 plus carat diamond I would have the diamond appraised with a purchase of this magnitude. In this case since you advise the stone is mounted and will be changing setting’s I would recommend after the stone is out of the setting to get it appraised before going further. Not trying to scare you, just a precautionary measure.

37.gif

Hope this Helps…
21.gif

SKR

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Jazmine and Josh.

I will get it appraised. The thing that still concerns me is the fact that the stone has been around for 2.5 years without being sold. Strikes me as very odd.

Regarding the setting, I know my wife will not like it. It's probably a blessing as the setting its significant $$$'s on top. I am going to check out 3 stones - this one, a pear and one other. Massive differences between them - this is a D, the pear is an I and the other stone is an EGL D - big variance in price as well. All three are 1A cut grade however. Without seeing them, my favourite is still the pear, pictured below.

I am all over the place but tbh approaching my patience limit - I am just going to make a call between the three of them.

SKR

Shiny_Rock
4.1 ct I coloured pear -

PEARISI.jpg

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I don''t like the idea of an EGL D. You will pay significantly more for a D, but with EGL that may not be what you are getting. I would have it independenly appraised if you decide to go that route to ensure it is in fact a D.

SKR

Shiny_Rock
Jazmine - that concerns me as well. I will get it checked out. Although it''s an EGL D its a good $15-20k cheaper than the GIA oval. It''s bigger as well. Even if the colour is turns out to be an E or F, I can live with it. It''s the clarity that I am really worried about as its an EGL SI1 but supposedly eye clean. The cert is EGL Antwerp so I am not putting much hope on it.

The pear is still the favourite, second in the running is the GIA Oval. My budget has gone North very fast....

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/28/2006 9:10:04 AM
Thanks Jazmine and Josh.

I will get it appraised. The thing that still concerns me is the fact that the stone has been around for 2.5 years without being sold. Strikes me as very odd.

Regarding the setting, I know my wife will not like it. It''s probably a blessing as the setting its significant $$$''s on top. I am flying out next week and will check out 3 stones - this one, the pear I mentioned in a previous thread and one other. Massive differences between them - this is a D, the pear is an I and the other stone is an EGL D - big variance in price as well. All three are 1A cut grade however. Without seeing them, my favourite is still the pear, pictured below.

I am all over the place but tbh approaching my patience limit - I am just going to make a call between the three of them.
SKR, can''t wait to see what you end up with, this is exciting!
9.gif

As for a stone sitting around a while, this is an expensive stone, most people don''t have the money to buy one of these. So that would not concern me, sometimes it just takes a while for them to find the proper home.
28.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/28/2006 9:10:04 AM
I am flying out next week and will check out 3 stones - this one, the pear I mentioned in a previous thread and one other.
Oh, boy! How exciting is this project!!!

I think it''s GREAT that you''ll be able to see these stones in real life...I suspect that doing so will make it much easier to choose between them...

widget

SKR

Shiny_Rock
Thanks all. Seeing them in the flesh will be helpful. We went shopping today and I went into the Debeers shop and saw a 5ct Pear - it was huge. I do mean massive. In terms of dimensions it was the same length as the one I am considering but it was 0.75mm wider. It looked like a serious rock and it gives me some idea of how the stone I am considering will size up (its going to be huge!)

The table on the debeers rock was only 52% which is substantially off 1A but it sparkled like no tomorrow. Depth was 59%.

One more question - I am going to get the vendor (WF) to send the I pear to a NY appraiser. How much should that cost approx for shipping and do I have to pay for the stone upfront? They are closed today so I will find out on Monday but a ballpark cost for now would be helpful.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/28/2006 11:09:43 AM
Author: The pear is still the favourite, second in the running is the GIA Oval. My budget has gone North very fast....
HI:

Hey, I''ve been there! I absolutely love the oval/picture you posted and cannot wait to hear what your F2F experience yields....

cheers--Sharon

gail013

Shiny_Rock
SKR-

I love that oval and the setting it''s in-is that from WF? I''m only asking because I have been looking for a setting like that and have a diamond from WF , and am wondering who to have do the setting. One of these vendors would be easiest. That pear is gorgeous. I know what you mean about the budget. Have you been looking long?

SKR

Shiny_Rock
Gail - I have been looking for a month or slightly less.

I don't like the setting at all and neither does my wife. A diamond surround just kills the look of the diamond for me. I understand the fact that others love it but I want something a lot more simple. It's not from WF but from another vendor so I have no idea who made it. When I see it I will try to find out. I am posting another picture below for those of you that are interested.

DVS2OVAL-1.jpg

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
SKR, does your wife know whe is getting a diamond then, since you say she has seen the setting?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Thanks for the new pictures of that oval setting and I can understand you wanting more simplicity. It would be breathtaking with "just" a diamond halo--someone here used to have an avatar with a yellow center oval and white diamond halo and it was sublime.

Keep in touch here as we are all interested in what you end up with! Lucky wife!

cheer--Sharon

gail013

Shiny_Rock
Thanks alot SKR. I have a 3 carat round that I am trying to find a setting for. With a 5 carat though, that''s really more of a stand alone piece, and it will look beautiful on it''s own. I can imagine you are going to drop a chunk of change, your wife is one lucky lady!

SKR

Shiny_Rock
Jazmine - I gave her the princess I bought a few days ago as the anniversary present (yes I missed the deadline
8.gif
). She loved it. Regarding this stone - I have told her I am keeping a look out for another stone of similar size for her birthday (approx 1.5cts) but havent told her that its so much larger. I had to tell her something as all those calls and emails etc were making her suspicious!!! She also caught me doing diamond searches on PS a couple of times but luckily she didnt see exactly what I was searching for. I have been trying to act like 007 around the house but have been failing miserably.....

I havent shown her this actual picture (as the size will become obvious) but I know she prefers to keep it simple.

SKR

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/29/2006 2:05:42 PM
Author: gail013
Thanks alot SKR. I have a 3 carat round that I am trying to find a setting for. With a 5 carat though, that''s really more of a stand alone piece, and it will look beautiful on it''s own. I can imagine you are going to drop a chunk of change, your wife is one lucky lady!
Gail - no I am looking for something around the 4 carat range but will go lower in size for a better colour. I have also had to increase by budget.

One thing I learnt very quickly is that depth has so much impact on face up size (I know this is obvious to all of you but it wasnt to a diamond novice like me). I have seen 5 cts diamonds that face up smaller than ideal depth 4ct stones. To go deep just seems like a complete waste of money but there seem to be so many deep stones around. This oval is perfect and faces up large with all 1A characteristics.

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
I love both the oval, and the pear. from that one picture it looks like a very, very white I color.
I agree that a stone that size should be simple, while I loooove a halo.

how about baguettes or trillions, some sort of small diamonds on the side just to punch it up a bit.

guess we better wait until you choose a stone..
27.gif
(I hope it''s the pear!!!)
36.gif
36.gif

gail013

Shiny_Rock
Searching for a diamond seems pretty consuming to say the least. I keep thinking what if something better comes along, and I have already bought one!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow!! I am soooo excited for you and yr wife. Can''t wait to hear about your final decision. Pics pls once you''ve decided.
36.gif

SKR

Shiny_Rock
We went with the Oval D VS2 stone in the end. Unfortunately we did not actually get to see the pear in person.

The oval stone was just a dazzler. Ice white, small/moderate bowtie, great shape with a LW of 1.45, excellent polish, medium to slightly thick girdle, lots of life and per our appraiser a borderline VS1 (it had a feather close to the girdle which we were concerned about). Cut grade was 1A with depth of 61% and table of 55%. Completely busted my budget but I guess you only live once.

As expected we went with a different setting - we both feel thats its absolutely beautiful. I just wanted to say a big thank you to all the members of this forum who assisted / advised me on the purchase. Cheers !!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SKR - congratulations to you and your lucky wife on a beautiful oval.

Now about those pictures...
2.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2006 1:08:05 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
SKR - congratulations to you and your lucky wife on a beautiful oval.

Now about those pictures...
2.gif
Yeah, what she said!

BTW, who''s we? wasn''t this a surprise? did I miss something?

SKR

Shiny_Rock
Thanks. Yes I gave her the choice but didnt tell her about the carat size until we were about to walk into the shop.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG that oval....in that setting...is PERFECTION!!!! LOVE that setting.
30.gif
You've said you don't, but wow, is that a nice work of art!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2006 1:44:32 PM
Thanks. Yes I gave her the choice but didnt tell her about the carat size until we were about to walk into the shop.
Ahh, gotcha! Well, she ought to be one happy camper, and you''re right, you only live once!

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
OMG!!! I just about fainted when I saw that stone...It is such a beautiful oval! You have a very lucky wife! Not just because of the stone, but, also because of the time and effort you put into finding it! Well done man!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results