shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on this Asscher

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks kicken to me!! Can''t wait to see it set!!!
36.gif

piccolascimmia

Shiny_Rock
Hi all - another update. I think we will be buying the diamond tomorrow, but the jeweler doesnt have a setting I''m 100% on (they have one that is reasonably priced, but ~90% there). We''re also discussing a custom setting, but we''re not far enough along to know if that will work out or not. They offered to set the stone should I but the setting elsewhere.

In the course of reading these forum posts, here are the things running through my mind:
-Are jewelers more apt to be ok setting a stone they didnt sell, or vice versa?
-What if I buy the setting from soneone who doesn''t want to set the stone? I then take both pieces to this jeweler? What are normal setting costs if its this scenario?
-Once I try on the setting and decide, I am comfortable buying the setting online if cheaper. Are there many cases where I''d ship the diamond to an online store for setting? Or can the price difference offset the hassle factor of shipping things around...diamond here, setting there, jeweler in a 3rd location?
-Are jewelers less interested if not buying the stone from them? Curious if they get more profit from the stone or the setting.
-Do I need to get an appraisal right away? And get insurance right away?
-Anything else I''m missing before I pull the trigger on the diamond and jump into this?

Thanks all - your opinions and info have been very helpful so far!
34.gif

Marylee

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/3/2006 7:04:28 PM
Author: piccolascimmia
Hi all - another update. I think we will be buying the diamond tomorrow, but the jeweler doesnt have a setting I'm 100% on (they have one that is reasonably priced, but ~90% there). We're also discussing a custom setting, but we're not far enough along to know if that will work out or not. They offered to set the stone should I but the setting elsewhere.

In the course of reading these forum posts, here are the things running through my mind:

-Are jewelers more apt to be ok setting a stone they didnt sell, or vice versa?

more likely to set their diamond in others settings they do it all the time with stock settings. The good ones will have a disclaimer that the setting must pass their inspection

-What if I buy the setting from someone who doesn't want to set the stone?
have the diamond seller set it and take responsibility for damage to the stone, they likely wont on the setting but its the lesser cost of the 2

I then take both pieces to this jeweler? What are normal setting costs if its this scenario?

$20-$300
-Once I try on the setting and decide, I am comfortable buying the setting online if cheaper. Are there many cases where I'd ship the diamond to an online store for setting? Or can the price difference offset the hassle factor of shipping things around...diamond here, setting there, jeweler in a 3rd location?

none of the online vendors will take responsibility for your diamond that I know of. Bad idea.

-Are jewelers less interested if not buying the stone from them? Curious if they get more profit from the stone or the setting.

setting percentage wise

-Do I need to get an appraisal right away? And get insurance right away?

yes to both
-Anything else I'm missing before I pull the trigger on the diamond and jump into this?

Thanks all - your opinions and info have been very helpful so far!
34.gif

Marylee

piccolascimmia

Shiny_Rock
Thanks strmrdr - exactly what I was looking for!

Now...to finalize the setting!

piccolascimmia

Shiny_Rock
what do y'all think about these? These seem to be exactly what's in my mind's eye:

http://www.icestore.com/gallery/diamond_ring_gallery_detail.asp?ID=137
http://www.icestore.com/gallery/diamond_ring_gallery_detail.asp?ID=184

I looked for info on the ice store on these forums and didnt find much...

I'll need to call them...it seems like they'd want to set the stone?

I think they're a little out of myprice range...any other alternatives that y'all have seen?

Also, can anyone recommend an appraiser here in Atlanta?

M

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cartier repro, in plat, ~$1200

piccolascimmia

Shiny_Rock
JulieN thanks! Do you know who else sells it? and maybe with a band??

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2006 8:56:51 AM
Author: strmrdr
asschers have to be graded by eyeballs and if that one made your heart go patter patter and screamed im yours then it is the one for you.

AGS will be grading the square cut emerald shape stones soon, so there may be a lot that will be graded for light performance and what they decide will be ideally proportioned shortly.

I would think that these will start becoming available in 60-90 days, but perhaps sooner.

That would most likely be a lot more reliable than simply grading from photos or eyeballs.

Rockdoc

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/4/2006 1:04:35 PM
Author: RockDoc

Date: 5/1/2006 8:56:51 AM
Author: strmrdr
asschers have to be graded by eyeballs and if that one made your heart go patter patter and screamed im yours then it is the one for you.

AGS will be grading the square cut emerald shape stones soon, so there may be a lot that will be graded for light performance and what they decide will be ideally proportioned shortly.

I would think that these will start becoming available in 60-90 days, but perhaps sooner.

That would most likely be a lot more reliable than simply grading from photos or eyeballs.

Rockdoc
nope.
they still need to be seen or pictures.
There are different looks of high performance asschers that a cert cant tell ya.
time will tell if the AGS asscher system is even worth while.
if its too narrow its useless because it will be a small subset of good asschers.
if its too wide it lets woofers in.
time will tell if they got it right.

piccolascimmia

Shiny_Rock
Should I be nervous that I''m buying this asscher before the new standards come out?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/4/2006 1:32:04 PM
Should I be nervous that I'm buying this asscher before the new standards come out?
kicken asscher is a kicken asscher and if history repeats it will be 6 months before we see any AGS stones but a very small number.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/4/2006 1:32:04 PM
Should I be nervous that I''m buying this asscher before the new standards come out?

HAA!!! You sound like me LAST JULY! Got engaged in November ... gettin'' hitched this October. If we''d waited -- we''d still be waitin!
31.gif
23.gif

piccolascimmia

Shiny_Rock
Hahah, I dont want to wait but my luck is that had I waited another week, that X great thing would have happened to make me wish i had waited. I ''happened'' to be in the jewelers neighborhood today so i dropped by unannounced and looked at it again. GORGEOUS - white and sparkly and I LOVE IT! :D Not only that, but my bf is the best in the world, and no way would i want my anal retentiveness to stop this from moving forward.

And now i''m hot on the trail for this 1922 cartier replica ring - love it, its exactly what I was looking for! And for less than the price of the ice store setting, i can get the setting and the band from the links above. Now...just to grill them about the quality and hope that if all checks out, that I dont need to use their return policy!

Y''all are the greatest! We go pick it up on Saturday, and I promise to try my best to shoot some interesting photos of it!

piccolascimmia

Shiny_Rock
Oh, interesting btd boards...I''ll dig thru there and see if there''s honest commentary on the quality of their settings. It does make me worry that it''d be almost $2k less than another ring/band from either nice ice or somewere else (and i''d still have to find a matching band)...but risk of a 10% restocking fee, i''m willing to try it out and see for myself (if the boards provide good info).

I''m already committed to a real asscher - no need to worry about me buying a honking 5 carat fake! Yeek!

pea

Rough_Rock
I saw your beautiful ering in the SMTR subforum and had to read your past threads on your whole ring process. I love
30.gif
the setting you posted in the pic below and wonder if you could post the url of where you found that beauty?

renaissance.JPG

pea

Rough_Rock
Hmm... that pic isn''t different from the ring she ended up choosing? Ah well, I get so easily confused :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results