shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on these two WF diamonds

RockFanGirl

Rough_Rock
Hello!

First, let me say that I've been a LONG time lurker, and I have learned so much from reading this forum. Thank you!

My kind husband has suggested that I upgrade my current diamond ring since we've been married now for 10 years. My current diamond is a 0.74 princess cut, F color, VS2, good cut. The diamond is OK, but I've been longing for a round diamond that is at least 1.3 carats with an ideal cut that really sparkles!

I've been seriously considering these two WF diamonds for a while now, and I'd be so grateful to get your opinion on them. I'm looking at WF diamonds because they've offered me a decent price for my current diamond if I upgrade with them, but I'm open to other vendors if the diamond and price (9k max) is right. Thank you in advance!

This one is my first choice, and I have it on hold. A representative from WF has assured me that it's eye-clean "from the top from as close as 6 inches and is a great SI", but I am still a little nervous about the crystal under the table being visible. What do you think? http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3587736.htm

This one is my second choice. I'm loving the size, and I've seen so many beautiful J's on this forum. I do work all day in an office with horrible Fluorescent lighting and no windows. So, I am wondering if it will look warmer than I'd like for most of my day. http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3595896.htm

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
The I probably is eye clean unless you have really keen eyesight and often hold it close to your face. I doubt others would notice it under normal viewing circumstances. To me J shows a more noticeable tint which is more evident in particular lighting conditions. You really need to buy a J and view it around your home in various conditions to see if the tint bothers you. Trying to compare them at a jewelry store is kinda pointless IMO.

Both are great performers so you have to decide whether to trade color for clarity? But are you even likely to notice a difference in clarity or color between these two stones or would it simply be a mind issue?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I look at my diamond a lot closer than 6 inches a couple of times a week. Is it going to bother you if you see something there when
viewing really close up?

If you think it will then go with the J. If not, then stick with the I. Some/most people dont want to see anything. Some people
are ok if they can see something when they twist their head funny, turn their stone at a 65 degree angle and squint on a sunny day.

I'm in the second group. If I cant see anything 95% of the time, I'm good with that.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Shrink that pic down close to real size, you'll see how nice that stone really is. Seriously, in real life you'll be hard pressed to see anything in that stone beside sparkle.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
the I would be eye clean enough for me, but I might go for the J just to have the ACA. I think both will be lovely! Tough decision for you :)

RockFanGirl

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the great responses! I know, if only I got to make these kinds of hard decisions more often :D

I really am leaning towards the I/SI1. I'm pretty sure that as long as I can't see anything 95% of the time, then I'd be perfectly happy.

As for the I/SI1 not being an ACA, WF told me that it just barely missed the ACA category because of a slight discrepancy in the hearts patterning, and it won't impact any visual performance.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just don't like Expert Series personally. I know they are amazing stones. In real life, I won't be able to tell any difference between ACA and Expert Series in terms of optical performance. But, assigning a stone "Expert Series" designation is the vendor verifying the stone is NOT the best of the best, and you still pay a hefty premium.

I like that J. I am ALL about the cut. But, I am a minority who takes J over I.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Expert Selection are still very nice ideal cut diamonds. They are usually very close to ACA.

I'll tell you, I am color sensitive and could not do a J, but you could order it to look at for a day in your various lighting situations to see what you think. The I color stone looks like it would be eyeclean to me, but obviously you can return it if you don't like it for any reason.

However, after looking, this stone would be the best choice, in my opinion. You gain ACA and VS2 clarity still under your max budget. I definitely would choose this one, personally. This one basically faces up the same size as the SI1.

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3260750.htm

RockFanGirl

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the suggestion, diamondseeker2006! I will seriously consider that diamond as well.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
RockFanGirl|1453327459|3978753 said:
Thank you all for the great responses! I know, if only I got to make these kinds of hard decisions more often :D

I really am leaning towards the I/SI1. I'm pretty sure that as long as I can't see anything 95% of the time, then I'd be perfectly happy.

As for the I/SI1 not being an ACA, WF told me that it just barely missed the ACA category because of a slight discrepancy in the hearts patterning, and it won't impact any visual performance.

I have several Expert Selections, and even one Premium Select, I can tell you that you aren't giving up much by choosing one. The ones I have missed being AC by things like a surface graining that can only be seen by a microscope.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Andelain

Ideal_Rock

RockFanGirl

Rough_Rock
Andelain|1453357395|3978969 said:
Dancing Fire|1453355730|3978957 said:
diamondseeker2006|1453329164|3978770 said:
However, after looking, this stone would be the best choice, in my opinion. You gain ACA and VS2 clarity still under your max budget. I definitely would choose this one, personally. This one basically faces up the same size as the SI1.

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3260750.htm
Ex choice !.. :love:

For sure, that one's got it all! :love: :love: :love:

OK, the 1.345 I/VS2 is now on hold, and I plan to complete my wire transfer over lunch. I'm beyond excited! Thank you again for all of your guidance!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay!!!! :appl: So happy for you! Please come back and post pictures of your ring!

RockFanGirl

Rough_Rock
Will do! I have been wanting a WF ideal diamond for YEARS! I still can't believe that I finally had the opportunity to buy one :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results