shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on these stones?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jkruer01

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone. I am looking at two different stones and would appreciate your advice on them. They are very similar and are both round H&A. There is only about a $300 difference in the price. Because they are so similar I am having a hard time deciding between the two. Also, if Leonid could get some DiamCalc files on these for me I would really appreciate it.

Stone #1
Carat: .708
Color: H
Clarity: SI1
Table: 55
Depth: 60.2
Crown Angle: 34.6
Crown %: 15.5
Pavilion Angle: 40.5
Pavilion %: 42.5
Girdle: .9% - 1.4%
Culet: Pointed

Stone #2
Carat: .706
Color: H
Clarity: VS2
Table: 56
Depth: 60.2
Crown Angle: 34.4
Crown %: 15
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Pavilion %: 42.8
Girdle: .9% - 1.7%

If anyone needs any other information let me know.

Thanks everyone!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Jkruer01,

I attached GEM file for #1.

Numbers for both stones sound great. Using HCA or DiamCalc is not needed anymore.

Attachments

• jkruer01.gem
    1.2 KB · Views: 31

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
GEM file for #2

Attachments

• jkruer02.gem
    1.2 KB · Views: 34

jkruer01

Rough_Rock
Hey thanks for the files Leonid I really appreciate it. You said the HCA and DiamCalc are not needed anymore since the numbers are good. Does anyone have any advice as to which stone would be better or how to choose between the two? They are at an online store so I can't see them in person. Would I even be able to tell the difference between the two stones?

Thanks!

Rook

Shiny_Rock
Since the stones are very simular, I would base a decision on which one looks better to your naked eye. Can you personally inspect both stones side by side? Also check where the inclusions are in the stones. Maybe the si1 has an inclusion in a less than desirable place.

Also, maybe you could use an ideal-scope to determine which has better symetry and light return.

jkruer01

Rough_Rock
Unfortunately, the stones are online so I can't see them myself which is why I am so picky/nervous/anal about all of the advice and details that I can get. This is my first and hopefully my only engagement ring that I will ever have to buy so I want it to be perfect. It seems like according to the .gem files that the second one would have more scintilation because it has more black and less light leakage. Is this an accurate statement?

Thanks

slmulkey

Shiny_Rock
I would go with the VS2 stone since you can't see the SI1 in person (and verify that there aren't any visible inclusions.)

jkruer01

Rough_Rock
I just got the IdealScope images on the two stones I will attach both of them. Here is the first stone.

stone1.jpg

jkruer01

Rough_Rock
Here is the second stone.

stone2.jpg

jkruer01

Rough_Rock
Based on the .gem files that Leonid got for me, thanks again by the way, it seems like stone1 has more light leakage. However based on the Idealscope images that I posted and the info I learned from goodoldgold.com it seems like stone2 has more light leakage but also has more scintilation.:confused: I would really appreciate anyones input.

Thanks!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Jkruer01,

As I said, they both should be great stones. :)

DiamCalc in this case doesn't have all the info to make 100% accurate prognosis.

Keep in mind, small amount of light leakage doesn't mean the stone is any worse.

It's a matter of personal taste and preferences :)

You might just want to ask the vendor to eyeball the stones for you.

jkruer01

Rough_Rock
AGGGHHHHH!!!!! :twirl: :errrr: No one ever told me that BUYING the ring would be this stressful! I thought it was the asking part that was supposed to be hard! Well, anyways, thanks for your advice Leonid, Rook, and slmulkey.
I'll be sure to make a post when I decide which one to get.

Thanks

Rook

Shiny_Rock
If it is getting stressful try this. Go to a few jewelers and look at their diamonds. Don't go looking for the diamond you want, just go look for fun. All diamonds (or most) really are beautiful. It should be fun to go and inspect different diamonds. Take the information you have learned so far and try to find flaws with different diamond of different shapes. Look for the beauty of the diamonds, and ignor the numbers.

This is what I did when I started getting to involved with the numbers. Diamonds are not about numbers they are about the joy they bring to the person you give them too. The numbers are just an indication of the diamonds potential.

Try to enjoy yourself and you will find it less stressful

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results