shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on the ASET image of a diamond

DGray

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

I recently bought a diamond ring from Tiffany (I know, I know. But it is requested by my girlfriend...) and received it today. The cut of the diamond is 3EX. The HCA, however, is only about 4.5. I took a few pictures with a portable ASET and pasted below. The specs of the diamond is also included at the end.

It is a home-made test stand so the images are not perfect. During the picture taking, I felt that a small shift in the angle caused dramatic change in the image so I took multiple images and you can have a better idea. Could you please help to judge the light return of the diamond is good or not? Thanks a lot for your help! :angel:

1_72.jpg
2_38.jpg
3_45.jpg
4_16.jpg
5_16.jpg

Carat weight: 1.19
Color grade: G
Fluorescence: None

Precision of cut: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Polish Excellent

Clarity grade: VS1

Depth %: 62.7%
Table size %: 58%
Crown height %: 14.9%
Crown angle: 35.2
Pavilion angle 41.3
Cutlet: None

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't walk but RUN back to the store and exchange it for another stone. There are other threads on PS of people buying Tiffany rings and they ask their sales associate to choose RB diamonds to bring in based on the following specs:
table: 54-58
depth: 60-62.3
crown angle: 34-35.0 (sometimes 35.5 is the crown angle is 40.6)
pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0 if the crown angle is close to 34)

The angles on your stone are not complimentary, which is why you're seeing the green ring in the middle instead of red. Plus, the stone is deep so it's actually facing up smaller than other excellent cut stones with the same carat weight. If you're paying that much for the brand, make sure you're getting a top performer. Good luck!

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think you can do much better for your money. Many people are after a tiffany ring until they are better informed. Let us know what you intend to do so we can help you

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI Dgray,
Welcome to Pricescope.
IN a discussion like this it's important to bear in mind that most people shopping online want to skip the type of pricing they'll find on Fifth Avenue. You already know that you can but a similar diamond/ring without the fancy name for less.
But I can definitely "get" where your gf is coming from- brands do mean a lot- especially a strong brand.
In other words, I'd try to please the lady in regards to the ring.
Can you do better on the diamond staying with the same vendor?
Probably- but it's also likely that the diamond you purchased is lovely in person.
Personally I prefer a type of cut which is not included in the "PS specs" and there's a lot of combinations outside those specs that will do better on HCA.
What are the measurements of the stone you have?

Maybe the best course of action is to get some education here, and then go back to the store and compare stones. Likely they will make you happy, if you're going to be their customer

bridgettedonovan

Rough_Rock
DGray|1474049651|4077429 said:

Carat weight: 1.19
Color grade: G
Fluorescence: None

Precision of cut: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Polish Excellent

Clarity grade: VS1

Depth %: 62.7%
Table size %: 58%
Crown height %: 14.9%
Crown angle: 35.2
Pavilion angle 41.3
Cutlet: None

Steep Deep not a great one. Go ask Tiffany's for a 34.5/40.8 they should have some in their inventory that way you can keep the blue box.

mcosme

Shiny_Rock
Can you bring a hand held ASET with you to pick another stone?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with ac117 on this. If you paid the Tiffany premium (which I totally understand if it's what your GF wants), you deserve a GREAT stone. Sadly this one has leakage around the center and doesnt have the things you'd look for in an "ideal" stone. Tiffany's can almost certainly get you a diamond that fits within the ranges posted by ac117, so you should go back and ask them to replace the stone.

Did you get the diamond loose, or is it already set? Either way I'd have them replace the stone, I just wanted to ask.

ETA: I just re-read and you said "ring", so I assume you got the entire ring.

DGray

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Really appreciate your help. I am going to exchange another one in Tiffany. I called the sales rep this afternoon and he gave me three options:

1. 1.37 carat, G VS2, 3 EX

MEASUREMENTS 7.08 - 7.11 x 4.41 mm

TOTAL DEPTH PERCENTAGE 62.2%
TABLE SIZE PERCENTAGE 57%
CROWN ANGLE 35.1°
PAVILION ANGLE 40.9°

2. 1.3 carat, G VS1, 3 EX

MEASUREMENTS 6.94 - 6.97 x 4.35 mm

TOTAL DEPTH PERCENTAGE 62.5%
TABLE SIZE PERCENTAGE 56%
CROWN ANGLE 35.1°
PAVILION ANGLE 40.8°

3. 1.22 carat, H VVS2, 3EX

MEASUREMENTS 6.89 - 6.92 x 4.21 mm

TOTAL DEPTH PERCENTAGE 61.0%
TABLE SIZE PERCENTAGE 57%
CROWN ANGLE 34.1°
PAVILION ANGLE 40.8°

The HCA grades are:

1: 2.3 , 4 very good
2: 1.8, Light Return & Fire are excellent, Scintillation and spread are very good
3: 1.1, 3 Excellent, spread is very good.

My personal favorite is #3. It is relatively smaller, but the specs are well in range and HCA has 3 excellent. Any suggestions or comments?

I sincerely appreciate all of your helps a lot! :angel:

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
They all have potential to be great stones if they are well cut. Your ASET scope is more important than HCA and seeing as your buying from a store, you have the luxury to see them and compare. They quite different flavours of diamond.

The last diamond appears to be safest purely on a numbers game, but I'd really just go have a look! You might find 1 or 2 more fiery than 3 or you find 3 is brighter than the others. 2 is slightly deep and 1 is the borderline of complimentary angles which is why the HCA takes a hit but could be a great stone.

Also your photos are great, one of the best home taken images I've seen, what did you use for the back light?

DGray

Rough_Rock
gm89uk|1474074406|4077584 said:
They all have potential to be great stones if they are well cut. Your ASET scope is more important than HCA and seeing as your buying from a store, you have the luxury to see them and compare. They quite different flavours of diamond.

The last diamond appears to be safest purely on a numbers game, but I'd really just go have a look! You might find 1 or 2 more fiery than 3 or you find 3 is brighter than the others. 2 is slightly deep and 1 is the borderline of complimentary angles which is why the HCA takes a hit but could be a great stone.

Also your photos are great, one of the best home taken images I've seen, what did you use for the back light?

Thanks for the reply. I just used a regular 60 W incandescent light bulb, and put a opaque white plastic piece on above it. It worked great. :)

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has anyone mentioned that those images are not taken with an ASET scope? But with a hearts and arrows viewer instead, which does not reveal much about light performance?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think they are ASET. I am seeing red, green and blue.

A H&A would have white arrows.

Maybe I need my eyes checked though (distinctly possible)

If it is an ASET the stone is a pass for me. Way too much leakage especially with a mark up like Tiffany demands.

Edit: OP go for number 3. The H is the best stone. If you can ASET it #2 is a possibility too. But check it first.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I thought that initially but I think it's mainly the lack of complimentary angles giving the arrows that appearance with the pavilion being 41.3

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results