shape
carat
color
clarity

advice on taking care of ring..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi all, what advice do you have on taking care of your ring. This is my first diamond and I am so paranoid about hurting it
3.gif
It has been going back in it''s box when I''m sleeping and working (work at a vets so thst''s a must!). How else do you care for yours? Is there anything that I need to be doing? Is there anything special that you use to clean it, should I buy one of those cleaner things or just leave it into Tiffanys whenever I travel to a country that has one? Thank you in advance!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
is it a plain solitaire setting? or does it have pave? is it platinum? or white/yellow gold?

a lot of people love the ultrasonics, but if you have pave in your setting there is some debate over whether or not you should use one. if you have a plain solitaire setting, an ultra would work great. if you have platinum, a mixture of ammonia and hot water is recommended by many (again, check the threads, a lot of people have posted their mixtures) or mr. clean (no ammonia so its safe for golds) and hot water. otherwise, soak your ring a mixture of windex (only if your setting is platinum because it has ammonia), dish soap and hot water and then brush thoroughly with a soft or baby toothbrush. rinse thoroughly (30 seconds) with hot water and pat dry with a lint free cloth or tissue paper.

there are lots of threads on this topic too, try doing a search (try ''cleaning'' and/or ''ultrasonic'') and see what comes up.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks for that. It''s a tiffany lucida in platinum. I heard washing up liquid was ok also but wasn''t sure if that''s true or not

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There are several ways to clean your ring and using a comercial washing up liquid is ok, but not the best. Many will recommend windex or ammonia in warm water, that works too, but the best thing I have found is the GemCare Products.

You can order them from many places, including Gem Care.

The reasons why I like them.

They have a liquid for cleaning the "cookie dough" off the gemstones, and a paste for cleaning the tarnish off of the metal. It really does make the ring look almost as if you had taken it to the jeweler for a professional cleaning.

The Gemcare products are vegetable based so they do not contain petroleum products such as ammonia. That means you can soak your jewelry in it overnight if you wish without the ammonia reacting with and tarnishing the silver in your gold. It is in fact so gentle that you can moisten a soft cloth and use it to clean your pearls.

Oh, and it smells pleasant also, none of the harsh ammonia smell.

That is what we recommend to our clients for cleaning and caring for their rings and other jewelry. Talk with your jeweler, chances are very good that he has it, if not tell him to go to gemcareproducts.com and contact them. You will be doing him a favor as well as yourself.

Wink

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks for that Wink!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results