shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on studs-the earrings, not the man ;)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Still_Waiting

Brilliant_Rock
I experienced a tragic loss the other day...

I was in the shower drying off. Before I knew what happened, I found myself on my hands and knees peering down the shower drain searching in vain for one of my beloved jade studs.
8.gif
It was a fruitless search.

However, I''d like to turn this into an excuse to slightly upgrade, so I''m now on a search for a new everyday pair. (Blessing in disguise, eh?!) I''m still pretty much a noob when it comes to fine jewelry, particularly gemstones. So I''m wondering where you recommend to start my search. I''ve been slowly making my way through the list gecko started, but I''m feeling quite lost! I know there are a few things you need to know in order to help me...

Here''s what I''m looking for:
-something in the blue or green families (at this point I don''t know enough about gemstones to have a stone preference)
-small, basic stud
-trying to keep under $100
-kinda hoping for Ready, Set, Go...but I''ll take any advice in this arena!

Any particular sites I should check out? Any other advice? Thanks so much for your help, I''m feeling like a fish outta water!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're just looking for basic, ready made studs without a huge specificity for stone type, it might just be easiest to go to retail sites like Blue Nile and Overstock to see if you can find anything you like.

If you want something a little more unique though, you can try Sally's pillbox earrings which are lovely, and she can make them in blue topaz for you.
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=22670110

If you're willing to stretch the budget a bit more, you can get sapphires loose, and have them set locally or via etsy.
http://www.simplysapphires.com/html/imagesblue2005/bluerno451-sm.html

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Michael E was also offering to white gold studs with these 4mm sapphires for about 180$, which is over budget, I know. But just thought I'd put it out there.

If you want budget friendly, your best bets are probably blue topaz, and maybe aquamarine (but you'd probably be limited to very pale blue ones). For greens, probably peridot and green amethyst.

4mm Sapphire.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ok, for Green, how bout peridots from diamondexpert.com Gary Dutton he has quite a few pairs right now, pretty reason able, then buy your settings from
pickyourjewelry.com http://www.pickyourjewelry.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=528&page=1 (i bought a semi mount for my pendant from them) then have it set, hopefully it only cost you about $35 for the semi mount, then about $45 for the peridots and then have someone set it for maybe $45 (hopefully they don''t charge for both- wishful thinking?)

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry no advice, but I got a big chuckle out of your title of this thread!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SORRY i meant to attach a couple of pair of peridots that I asked Gary for more pictures on, but decided to pass as I already have two peridots...

PERIDOTGARYDUTTONPAIRS.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I second Gary Dutton of www.diamondexpert.com for inexpensive yet pretty gemstones. To save on the setting cost, Etsy silver settings are a steal.

Still_Waiting

Brilliant_Rock
MakingTheGrade - Thanks for the ideas! And those sapphires are gorgeous, but I don''t think I could stretch that far.

D&T - Beautiful! I''ll have to spend some more time looking through those beauties!

Chrono - Thanks! And I do love Etsy!!!

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/15/2009 5:12:37 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Michael E was also offering to white gold studs with these 4mm sapphires for about 180$, which is over budget, I know. But just thought I''d put it out there.

If you want budget friendly, your best bets are probably blue topaz, and maybe aquamarine (but you''d probably be limited to very pale blue ones). For greens, probably peridot and green amethyst.
Who is Michael E? Never heard of him but I am very curious
9.gif

you could also try ACS
www.acstones.com/productcart/pc/viewCat_h.asp?idCategory=15
I believe there is a pair of Ruby and citrine earrings for under $40

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/15/2009 9:45:02 PM
Author: akmiss

Michael E was also offering to white gold studs with these 4mm sapphires for about 180$, which is over budget, I know. But just thought I''d put it out there.

If you want budget friendly, your best bets are probably blue topaz, and maybe aquamarine (but you''d probably be limited to very pale blue ones). For greens, probably peridot and green amethyst.
9.gif

you could also try ACS
Michael Edgett of gemshoppe.com he cut my color changing spinel which I love!

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/15/2009 9:56:55 PM
Author: D&T

Date: 6/15/2009 9:45:02 PM
Author: akmiss

9.gif

you could also try ACS
Michael Edgett of gemshoppe.com he cut my color changing spinel which I love!
thanks!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
welcome Akmiss- I always have tons of questions & not so many answers, so when i know at least one thing I can at least chime in
9.gif

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I would probably go for a pair of sapphire studs, definitely a classic that will wear well also!

Still_Waiting

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, so I''ve found a few possibilities on Gary Dutton''s site. If I was to get a simple pair of settings on Etsy, about how much would I be looking at -cost wise- to have them set?

One more question. One poster mentioned presets from BlueNile...anyone else have any thoughts about that? I had already spent some time looking at their options and there are a few I like, but am wondering about quality. Anyone had any experience with gemstones from BN?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no prior experience with BN so I cannot comment on their quality. Just as a general observation, but may not be true under all circumstances, the buy your own stone separately and set them will net you better quality gemstones than the ready-set-go option.

Still_Waiting

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/16/2009 11:28:26 AM
Author: Chrono
I have no prior experience with BN so I cannot comment on their quality. Just as a general observation, but may not be true under all circumstances, the buy your own stone separately and set them will net you better quality gemstones than the ready-set-go option.

Yeah, that seems to be the general consensus. I don''t know why it freaks me out so much to think of building my own. Maybe I''m just feeling shy because I won''t be spending much money so I feel bad about the time and attention taken away from more important (i.e. expensive!) jobs.

2.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can do it... its ok, I''m right there with you so I know what you mean.I wanted to save a little too, so I opted to get stock setttings and then will be going to the jeweler later to get my pendant set. There was a little round 4 mm peridot from Gary Dutton I believe, and I think its the one pictured, but the mountings that I link in my earlier post or this... its silver for $2 a piece, you''d have to buy two, and shipping is like $5 or $6 can''t remember, or go for white gold and its $23 piece. Hope this helps, and I think you can take pride in building your own earrings. It will be lovely.

http://www.pickyourjewelry.com/index.php?p=product&id=44089&parent=528

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results