shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on stone

Raydaffurn

Rough_Rock
I am looking to buy an engagement ring and have been offered 4 stones for the main one and I'm unsure which to pick ie which is most valuable, the link to the ring is http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/321692790175.

And the links to the 4 stones offered are:

http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?pag...&c=Page&cid=1355954554547&reportno=5141912201

http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?pag...&c=Page&cid=1355954554547&reportno=2171441417

http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?pag...&c=Page&cid=1355954554547&reportno=5171434213

http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?pag...&c=Page&cid=1355954554547&reportno=2173413232

Can anyone with experience advise which is best, most valuable one to go for and if the price is worth it (still to haggle)

Thanks
Ray

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
Princess cuts cannot be evaluated based on GIA reports alone. To evaluate a princess cut diamond, you will need to either see it in person, or if that's not possible, get ASET/IS images along with high-definition photographs and/or videos. You should also note that your eBay vendor does not offer an unconditional return policy, returns are only allowed if the item is "not as described". Thus, you are taking a pretty big risk, buying a diamond sight unseen, without being able to return it if you don't like it when you set eyes on it.

Other than that, I'd only point out that your specs are very restrictive (D-E color, IF-VVS2 clarity), and will result in a price premium. Is there a reason you are considering only such high color and clarity grades?

Other long-time members of this forum will soon come by to attempt to steer you away from this purchase, and offer to help you find a high-quality, high-performance diamond, along with a setting that you'll like, all on a budget you can afford, from reputable vendors who offer unconditional return policies and have an excellent track record of happy customers. I strongly recommend that you listen with an open mind and take the advice that is offered.

Good luck!

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I will not comment on the diamonds as it is against forum rules for a member of the Trade.

I would recommend using the advice of the members who will soon come along and give opinions.

As drk14 mentioned, light performance images (Ideal-Scope or ASET) will reveal a tremendous amount in any diamond and are always a good idea before purchase.

Raydaffurn

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies guys, the ring is not actually for myself it's my brother who wants to purchase it.

He has told me he wants the highest colour / clarity that he can get for about the £5k mark. Long story short he was in a bad way a while back and his girlfriend left her job to look after him, he is now much better and wants to kind of repay her if you know what I mean by getting her the best possible ring he can.

we are in the uk and he says he had looked at a few places in the uk and the prices for this colour clarity of diamond are a lot more expensive in the uk, he told me he can get them in the us cheaper and likes the look of the ring that I have gave the link to, he will be in the us in a few weeks time so was wanting to get the ring made up and collect when he is over on holiday.

What should I do? Go back and ask if they can supply me the pictures of the diamonds in the image formats you have advised?
If so do I ask for all 4 or from the gia reports can the lesser valued ones be ruled out?

Again thanks for the help on this.

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
Raydaffurn|1465632688|4042915 said:
He has told me he wants the highest colour / clarity that he can get for about the £5k mark. Long story short he was in a bad way a while back and his girlfriend left her job to look after him, he is now much better and wants to kind of repay her if you know what I mean by getting her the best possible ring he can.
Your brother may be doing himself and his intended a disservice by making the assumption that "best possible" (at a fixed budget) equals "highest colour / clarity". The most important aspect of purchasing a diamond that will look spectacular is a quality we refer to as "cut". This refers to the exact angles and proportions to which the diamond has been cut, including the consistency with which every single diamond fact has been fashioned. That is to say, one cannot describe a diamond's cut with a handful of numbers (the numbers available in a GIA report represent averages, and do not describe every single facet in the diamond). The cut, in turn, in large part determines the diamond's light performance, which is another complex concept, but basically embodies all of the things one enjoys when looking at a high-quality diamond (sparkliness/brilliance/fire/brightness, etc.). Here is a good (but technical) review that reviews (in great detail) the interplay between cut and light performance in princess diamonds:
http://www.whiteflash.com/about-dia...diamond-cut-grading-the-princess-cut-1449.htm

Unless there are cultural reasons to consider only the highest color and clarity grades, selecting the "best possible" diamond requires finding the diamond that has the best light performance, i.e., the best cut. To get the largest well-cut diamond on his budget, your brother should be considering F/G/H colored diamonds, and clarity grades of VS1/VS2/SI1.

we are in the uk and he says he had looked at a few places in the uk and the prices for this colour clarity of diamond are a lot more expensive in the uk, he told me he can get them in the us cheaper and likes the look of the ring that I have gave the link to, he will be in the us in a few weeks time so was wanting to get the ring made up and collect when he is over on holiday.

This is a more delicate/feminine version of the setting you linked:
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagemen...eek-line-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-422.htm
There are other similar settings available as well, if he doesn't think this particular one is it.

As I understand it, your brother will have to pay VAT and import duties in bringing the diamond back to the UK. I think these amount to approximately 20%. Hopefully you or somebody else can confirm this. We need this in order to establish the actual budget available for the diamond. You mentioned a £5k budget. Is this for the center diamond alone, or for the whole ring? £5k converts to $7100 USD. With 20% in import fees, your actual budget would be $5900 USD. So, if this is for the whole ring, it leaves maybe $4500 for the center diamond. Please confirm your brother's budget.

What should I do? Go back and ask if they can supply me the pictures of the diamonds in the image formats you have advised?

You can go back and ask if you wish, but is there a particular reason you are still considering this eBay vendor? It would be a very risky purchase, considering their return policy.

Here are some general guidelines for finding princess diamonds worthy of further consideration:

Table 72% to 60%
Crown Height 16% to 8.5%
Total Depth 75% to 64%
Table% < Depth %

However, the above measurements will not guarantee a well-cut diamond with excellent light performance. To find those, you will need to evaluate further using IdealScope and/or ASET images, as well as high-definition photos and video (or evaluate in person).

If you're able to clarify your brother's priorities with regards to light performance and diamond size vs. color/clarity, and be more specific about the budget, you should be able to get help from the expert members of this forum.

Raydaffurn

Rough_Rock
Many thanks for your informative reply.

The reason he picked that particular ring is that he liked the look of that exact ring and also he advised me that he has been looking for a while and this was the best price he could find that style of ring with a 1 carat main diamond and around the 1.5 carat mark in total.

The centre diamond is 1 carat and the extra diamonds down the side of the ring are 0.55 carats making in 1.55 carats total.

The budget he had was £5k and this is for the full ring, he will be in the US in a few weeks so could pick up the diamond and he wanted to propose over there so therefore would not have to pay any import taxes.

He has spoke to the seller and they will make the ring up in advance for him (as it takes 1 week to make) and he can then collect when he is there. He has also requested they provide the images (Ideal-Scope or ASET)

He is happy to look elsewhere for the ring, he isn't set on the vendor but does want a ring that looks like the one pictured with a 1.0 carat main stones and approx. 0.5 carats making up the rest so its about the 1.5 carat mark total. He has advised me he has tried to price this full ring elsewhere and cannot get it anywhere for near that price.

Is there anywhere else he could try in the UK, or in the US? (If it is the USA he will be there from 26th june to 6th july) r what should he do next?

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
Raydaffurn|1465839641|4043587 said:
The reason he picked that particular ring is that he liked the look of that exact ring

OK, your brother likes the look of that ring, but does his girlfriend like it? Isn't that more important? I'm a guy myself, and when I started out looking for setting styles for an engagement ring, I initially selected several styles similar to the ring you linked. I quickly learned (with helpful guidance from the forum members here) that many women would consider this type of setting (lots of metal showing, very angular, no finesse) to be "clunky" and even a bit masculine in vibe. Furthermore, some channel-set rings (which this is) may be considered by some to be a somewhat dated style, although there are certainly exceptions.

Did your brother have any response to my comments about cut quality/light performance as a priority (as opposed to just looking for high color and high clarity)? More importantly, what would his girlfriend value more -- being able to tell people "my diamond is D color and IF clarity", or having people remark to her on the beauty and brilliance of her diamond (which will be evident to the viewer if and only if the stone is well cut)? If the former is more important, then you are on the right track, and you don't have to worry about all the caveats I have conveyed. On the other hand, if your brother thinks his gf will care about how the diamond actually looks on her finger, then you/he should heed the advice given here.

This recent thread is also worth reading:
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ltra-high-qualtiy-princess-1-2-1-5-ct.223475/

Most members of this forum who give advice regarding engagement rings care most about the happiness of the recipient of the ring. Thus, often, PS members will ask questions that are intended to establish the styles and tastes of the girlfriend. In your case, the situation is complicated by the fact that you are acting as an intermediary (unless you know the girl well). Is there a reason your brother is not posting here himself?

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
Raydaffurn|1465839641|4043587 said:
he isn't set on the vendor but does want a ring that looks like the one pictured with a 1.0 carat main stones and approx. 0.5 carats making up the rest so its about the 1.5 carat mark total. He has advised me he has tried to price this full ring elsewhere and cannot get it anywhere for near that price.

If he is insistent on that setting style, here are two comparable setting, from two vendors often recommended on PS:
Whiteflash ($1500)
James Allen ($1700)

Other options for channel-set rings can be viewed here and here.

These could be paired with a nice center diamond, for example:
1.09ct G VS2 AGS000 ($6000)
1.068ct G VS2 AGS000 A Cut Above ($6200)

The total ring cost would be around $7700 USD from either vendor, which converts to £5400 GBP.

Raydaffurn

Rough_Rock
Hi guys again thanks for the replies.

In regards to the style of ring he has spoken to family members and his Girlfriends sister has advised that when she was ring shopping herself this is the style of ring that she had mentioned to her sister that she would like.

He is on holiday at the moment hence the reason for not posting himself.

Yes he has taken all the comments on board and I have sent him the images of both rings and he does like the james allen ring but has advised he still prefers the look of the original ring he posted so now he is unsure what to go for.

What he has asked me is if the diamond on the original ring he had originally chosen looks good under ideal/aset images then would that not be a better diamond due to the fact that the colour/clarity is better? He took the guidelines given by drk14 and advises that the first GIA report he sent falls into these guidelines. He is unsure why you guys are ruling this out?

He is awaiting the Ideal/Aset images before making a decision on the james allen drk14 sent and the original ebay item however in the meantime he has also sent me some pictures (very small in size) of the 4 options they had given him:

GIA 5141912201: http://postimg.org/image/4z6cb4zyp/

GIA: 2171441417 http://postimg.org/image/ryio4rvv5/

GIA: 5171434213 http://postimg.org/image/xgnjdchkn/

GIA: 2173413232http://postimg.org/image/d4k4glgxj/

Again thanks for all the help on this, actually starting to learn a bit more about these myself now.

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
Raydaffurn|1465980229|4044222 said:
In regards to the style of ring he has spoken to family members and his Girlfriends sister has advised that when she was ring shopping herself this is the style of ring that she had mentioned to her sister that she would like.
[...]
he does like the james allen ring but has advised he still prefers the look of the original ring he posted
Has he shown the James Allen setting and the Legato Sleek Line setting to the girlfriend's sister, and does she also agree that the eBay setting is more inline with the girlfriend's style?

What he has asked me is if the diamond on the original ring he had originally chosen looks good under ideal/aset images then would that not be a better diamond due to the fact that the colour/clarity is better? He took the guidelines given by drk14 and advises that the first GIA report he sent falls into these guidelines. He is unsure why you guys are ruling this out?
On the one hand, your brother is right: if two 1-ct diamonds have equivalent cut quality/light performance, then the higher color/clarity stone will be "better". However, here's a simple fact: the diamond market is efficient, meaning that diamonds are almost always priced what they're "worth", so bargains (i.e., mispriced diamonds) are extremely difficult to find. A consequence of this is that the "better" diamond will be more expensive (for example, the median price for GIA-graded 1.00-ct princess diamonds is currently $4200 for G-VS2 stones, and $6300 for D-VVS2 stones). Thus, the confounding factor is that your brother is shopping on a fixed budget. With a $6000 budget (say) for a center diamond, he will only be able to afford the D-VVS2 diamonds that are priced below-average, whereas he would be able to choose from among the top 10% of the G-VS2 diamonds available on the market. Given that the diamond prices reflect the desirability of the diamond (i.e., how easy/difficult it is to find a buyer), the D-VVS2 diamonds that he is able to afford are likely to have suboptimal light performance. This is why I had posed some questions regarding whether the girlfriend is more likely to value an attractive diamond or one that can be certified D/VVS2. Note that to the naked eye, the clarity of a VS2 and VVS2 are usually indistinguishable, and the color difference between D and G is usually not noticeable either (so it really comes down to valuing what is written on the certificate as opposed to what one can see with one's eyes).

He is awaiting the Ideal/Aset images before making a decision on the james allen drk14 sent and the original ebay item however in the meantime he has also sent me some pictures (very small in size) of the 4 options they had given him:
I will try to comment on some of these in another post.

I'm not sure why this thread is not getting more input from the other PS members yet, possibly because of the awkwardness of having to get information second-hand about your brother and third-hand about his girlfriend (also, threads without pictures seem to be less popular in general)... I should just point out that there are others here who are more expert than me at finding well-cut princess diamonds. The two examples I posted above (from James Allen and Whiteflash) are just that -- examples of what your brother could get within his budget. Nonetheless, although there may be even better candidates out there, the two that I posted are definitely better cut than the four that you have linked.

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
First, I will post some images, in an attempt to get more feedback from other PS members...

This is the eBay setting that your brother is considering:

ebaysetting.jpg

You have let us know that "he prefers the look of the original ring he posted" (i.e., the above setting) to the alternatives that I had suggested, including a James Allen setting and the Legato Sleek Line pave setting:

wf_legatosleekline.jpg

Let's see if this helps bring some more people to this thread! :devil:

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
He took the guidelines given by drk14 and advises that the first GIA report he sent falls into these guidelines. He is unsure why you guys are ruling this out?
[...]
GIA 5141912201: http://postimg.org/image/4z6cb4zyp/
OK, so let me try to explain some of the issues with the above logic. First, the GIA report for this diamond does not list crown height, so unless the vendor has supplied this measurement, I'm not sure how your brother has verified that all of the guidelines were met. Second, the guidelines that I posted are just initial guidelines intended to narrow the field; a diamond that meets the recommended guidelines is in no way guaranteed to be well-cut or attractive. Finding a diamond with dimensions that fall within the guidelines just tells you that it may be worth further evaluation (using images, videos, Idealscope, and ASET).

Here are some possible problems with the above diamond (all of which would contribute to lowering the price of this diamond compared to other 1ct-D-VVS2 stones):

It is a bit rectangular in shape (1.05:1 aspect ratio), whereas most buyers prefer a more square shape.

The vendor-supplied image of the diamond reveals that the faceting is a bit chaotic and uneven, whereas most buyers prefer faceting that is more symmetric and/or even in appearance :

gia_5141912201_pic.jpg

There are regions near the edges of the diamond that look like broken glass. When I first saw the pictures, I thought these were large inclusions, but then I remembered this is a VVS2 diamond. The culprit is more likely the "extra facets" cut at three of the corners (on the back of the stone), as shown in the GIA clarity plot. Light reflections originating from these extra facets are probably what is creating the broken glass effect around the edges.

Furthermore, just south of the center of the diamond, there is a big, flat, gray area of low contrast. This is unattractive, and may be evidence of something called "leakage" (which is usually undesirable in this type of diamond). The IS and ASET images would confirm this suspicion.

If I were to speculate, I would guess that there may have been some leakage issues around the edges of the diamond as well, and this may have been the reason for adding the extra facets at the corners (the idea being that having some chaotic, uneven reflections from the resulting "broken glass" areas is at least better than not having any light reflected at all in these regions). :-o

Again, I hope that by posting the above image, I inspire some other PS members to chime in... :mrgreen:

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
Let me also say a few words about the second diamond offered by the eBay vendor, this 1.00ct-D-VVS2:

gia_2171441417_pic.jpg

This same diamond is also in James Allen's virtual inventory (not an unusual fact, although it is interesting to note that the picture supplied by the eBay vendor appears to be identical to the image published on James Allen's website, albeit with the James Allen logo cropped out...), which makes it convenient to do a side-by-side analysis:

eBay vendor's recommended 1.00ct-D-VVS2 vs. drk14's proposed 1.09ct-G-VS2.

Here are some factors that I believe contribute to the fact that the D-VVS2 diamond is priced lower than the G-VS2 diamond:

1. The D is slightly less square (aspect ratio 1.05:1)
  2. The D has a less-than-perfect Symmetry grade
  3. The D has Very Thick gridle
  4. The D has almost no crown height
  5. The D has a very large table
  6. The 360degree video indicates that sparkles occur mainly near the center of the D diamond, with large "dead" areas around the edges
  7. The appearance of the D diamond in the image and video suggests that there may be significant areas of leakage around the corners and edges, although this would need to be confirmed by ASET or IS

Raydaffurn

Rough_Rock
Again thanks for your reply.

He hasnt shown the exact ring to his girlfriend as he does not want her to know that he is going to propose. He has shown it to her sister who advised she likes the more square look of the ebay one and when they were out when her sister was looking at rings every one his girlfriend said she liked was more like the ebay one.

I did tell him about the diamond option 1 diamond not been fully square, not symetric, extra faucet etc. and he has now ruled this diamond and the other 3 options given based on your advice. He had emailed them asking if they have any more they can offer and they have sent him the following (and they said they will try and get the images for these:

http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?pag...&c=Page&cid=1355954554547&reportno=6173446552

http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?pag...&c=Page&cid=1355954554547&reportno=2217992153

http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?pag...&c=Page&cid=1355954554547&reportno=1227226860

http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?pag...&c=Page&cid=1355954554547&reportno=1166519462

Not sure if any of these are better, from the guidelines you have given of what to look for i thought the 1st link GIA 2217992153 looked OK, again as you say without getting aset/ideal images.

The problem is he is not wanting to change the ring he has picked and he cant see any other rings that he likes elsewhere, I am going to ask him to have another check on whiteflash and james allen and see if he can pair this with one of the centre diamonds you recommended.

Raydaffurn

Rough_Rock
OK hes completely changed his mind he is taking the advice given and has changed to the james allen ring.

Is there any there any other james allen diamonds that he should consider to get paired up with this ring - ie what do you think is the diamond he should choose in his given budget(around the $6k mark for the diamond)

This ring:
https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...cess-shaped-diamond-engagement-ring-item-7084

With this diamond:
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/1.09-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-1762861

Again thanks for all the help

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
I would maybe suggest starting a new thread, since this one has not been getting much traction for whatever reason. Probably because it has been a very confusing read, to be honest.

I would suggest using a more descriptive topic title (e.g., "Help my brother select a princess diamond for e-ring").

Also, make your first post as informative as possible: Clearly state the stone budget ($6000 USD), and articulate any required specifications (e.g. 1ct+) and preferences. I also recommend that you succinctly explain in your top post why it is your brother is not posting on the forum himself. Finally, do post the setting and stone that he is considering, and ask for assistance in locating alternative or better options. State the time deadline if the ring has to be finished before your brother's trip to the US.

Here are three possible contenders from James Allen:

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/1.09-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-1762861
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/1.03-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-1762851
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/1.12-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-1762855

I selected these because they are AGS000 (which is sort of a shortcut for finding well-cut stones), and because the 360degree videos indicated the faceting was attractive and sparkly from a wide range of angles. As I've mentioned before, although I am confident that any of the above would outperform the stones that had been selected by the eBay vendor, there are other PS users who are much better than me at selecting princess cut diamonds. Hopefully, you will get some input from them if you create a new thread as suggested above. Feel free to link one or more of my suggestions in the new thread, as a starting point for discussion.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
drk14|1466108024|4044848 said:
I would maybe suggest starting a new thread, since this one has not been getting much traction for whatever reason. Probably because it has been a very confusing read, to be honest.

I would suggest using a more descriptive topic title (e.g., "Help my brother select a princess diamond for e-ring").

Also, make your first post as informative as possible: Clearly state the stone budget ($6000 USD), and articulate any required specifications (e.g. 1ct+) and preferences. I also recommend that you succinctly explain in your top post why it is your brother is not posting on the forum himself. Finally, do post the setting and stone that he is considering, and ask for assistance in locating alternative or better options. State the time deadline if the ring has to be finished before your brother's trip to the US.

Here are three possible contenders from James Allen:

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/1.03-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-1762851
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/1.12-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-1762855

I selected these because they are AGS000 (which is sort of a shortcut for finding well-cut stones), and because the 360degree videos indicated the faceting was attractive and sparkly from a wide range of angles. As I've mentioned before, although I am confident that any of the above would outperform the stones that had been selected by the eBay vendor, there are other PS users who are much better than me at selecting princess cut diamonds. Hopefully, you will get some input from them if you create a new thread as suggested above. Feel free to link one or more of my suggestions in the new thread, as a starting point for discussion.

+1, I'd recommend starting a new thread. This one has been a bit tricky to follow, so maybe that's why the "regulars" aren't posting on it as much as on others. As said above, make the title informative, and post ALL restrictions, requirements, etc in the first post. Hopefully you'll get lots of responses that way. I'm not an expert by any means on princess cuts, otherwise I'd help more myself :D

Raydaffurn

Rough_Rock
Cheers for the help guys I'll get one posted shortly.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would just like to say hats off to drk for his excellent advice in this thread! :clap:

I think I would stick to Whiteflash for their A Cut Above princess stones - they always look great, and they have ASET and IdealScope images already on the listing, rather than faffing about with JA's 3-ASETs-at-most rule!

re: importing, loose stones attract 20% VAT but a set stone in a ring attracts and additional 5%. I'm not sure if it's 5% of import Price + VAT charge, or just 5% of Import Price, but you will get charged, as I understand it.

You could always consider buying the stone, shipping it over, then having it set by a jeweller you trust who can custom make you the ring you want. That's what I did and it turned out well :)

I would echo earlier comments re: ignoring D/E and IF/VVS stones - F looks perfectly colourless on the hand, and VS1 would be eye clean to all but Superman, as I understand it :)

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
OoohShiny|1466122166|4044955 said:
I would just like to say hats off to drk for his excellent advice in this thread! :clap:

I think I would stick to Whiteflash for their A Cut Above princess stones - they always look great, and they have ASET and IdealScope images already on the listing, rather than faffing about with JA's 3-ASETs-at-most rule!
OoohShiny -- thanks for the vote of confidence!

With regards to ASETs, since I selected only AGS-graded diamonds in the JA inventory, an ASET (albeit a computer-generated one) is already available in the AGS grading report for each stone.

For future reference, here is OP's new thread -- hopefully some more PSers will comment there today, as OP's brother needs to make a purchasing decision this weekend:
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...-princess-diamond-for-engagement-ring.223658/

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
drk14|1466176101|4045148 said:
With regards to ASETs, since I selected only AGS-graded diamonds in the JA inventory, an ASET (albeit a computer-generated one) is already available in the AGS grading report for each stone.

Ah yes, of course! I had forgotten about that - the JA site doesn't work very well on my computer (the videos don't work :( ) and I always forget to check the Certificates!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results