shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on setting mix-up

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Info Seeker

Rough_Rock
I bought my diamond online but decided to have it set at a local jeweler because I appreciated their service during my search. They were knowledgeable and friendly throughout the process, even when I decided not to go with their product. They had to order the setting I liked because they didn''t have the proper size. The salesman told me it would be a week and a half before it came in. I called today (13 days after ordering), and he explained that there had been a mix-up of some sort. It will be another week before the setting arrives. Another day to set it.

Now, I''m generally not one to complain (he says in mid-complaint), but this is a bit disappointing. Shouldn''t they be able to overnight the setting? This isn''t a custom job, so I''m assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that all they have to do is pluck the right size from their inventory and ship it out. Or in lieu of that, would it be unreasonable of me to request a discount of some sort? This was after all an honest mistake, but I feel they should make a better effort to compensate me for the inconvenience. I could very easily take the diamond to another local jeweler (who was not nearly as pleasant once they discovered I ordered the diamond online) and have it set lickety-split.

Any thoughts on possible courses of action? Thanks!

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Most companies make the rings to order usally 10 days.

If everybody keeps buying on line then the mom and pop stores will not be around to service you, think about it.

I would say next time find an online store to do their own setting.

These people owe you nothing.

They are doing you a favor taken a risk in setting somebody elses diamond. They feel that your not their customer anyway. Most bottom feeders are not return customers (quote).

This is from chit chat around the industry on how most feel but wont say it
1.gif
just passing it on.

So dont whip the messanger, it will all come to pass , wait till you get married it gets worse
2.gif

Info Seeker

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback, Iceman. I appreciate it. I'd disagree, though, that they owe me nothing. I'm paying for a product and a service. If they're turning a profit, then they're not doing me any favors.

In fact, it would have been cheaper (and at this point faster) for me to have the online company set the ring for me. But I wanted to see the setting for myself, see how the diamond looked in it, and establish a relationship with a local jeweler for any future (non-diamond) purchases. So I could argue I'm the one doing them a favor.

Maybe it was unreasonable for me to consider asking for a discount because of an honest mistake, and in that sense, you're right, they don't owe me anything. But I'm paying good money for this setting. The least they could have done was to call me up and let me know that there was going to be an additional delay.

Don't think I'm shooting the messenger, though.
1.gif
I found the industry perspective interesting, that's all. Thanks again.

Spyder

Rough_Rock
I'm assuming that all they have to do is pluck the right size from their inventory and ship it out.
I heard somewhere that all rings are manufactured as size 6, and any deviation from that requires post facto resizing. Anybody know if this is true?

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Unless the ring is a stock item carried by their supplier, most rings are made to order and the manufacturers do take an average of ten business days, even with overnight delivery the store may be at the whim of the manufacturer... Did the sales person indicate what the mix-up was? There have been times when we have ordered rings from reputable manufacturers and received a product which was not acceptable to us... Just a few weeks back, we practically remade a ring to get it to the customer on time... We ripped the manufacturer a new one for letting the ring go out in the condition that we received it, but it didn't change the fact that it destroyed our day in terms of time... We know that you are disappointed and you have every right to be, but give the store a little credit until you know what the mix-up was to the credit of those of us who try our best to meet all of your deadlines, okay?
1.gif

As far as the size six thing goes, most rings are made in a size six and then sized up or down from there... Six is the national average here in the United States.

Info Seeker

Rough_Rock
I had no idea most rings were made in a size six. Very interesting.

And you're right. I overreacted with that post. I had just found out the ring would be delayed, and I was disappointed. Mostly I was frustrated because the store had found out about the delay last week and didn't call to tell me about it. But mistakes happen despite the best efforts of good people. I realize that.
1.gif

jlim

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 5/28/2003 10:56:20 PM niceice wrote:
As far as the size six thing goes, most rings are made in a size six and then sized up or down from there... Six is the national average here in the United States.
----------------

Robin & Todd - when you say sized up or down, does this apply to platinum as well? I hear platinum does not resize as well as gold. In the case of gold, you can go up or down a couple of sizes coz' it is of a softer metal and you can easily remove or add gold to make it smaller or larger by cutting the ring. In the case of platinum, I hear that you shave metals from around the ring instead. Not sure how they make it smaller. At least this is what I was told the jewellers I visited when I was in Asia.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results