shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on setting for a ring with an oval sapphire please!

ordinaryrainbow

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,

This is my first post in Pricescope, but I have read the posts and information that you've all contributed to this forum for some time now. First, let me just say thank you for all of the advice and information that's been contributed by the members here. I've found it a wonderful resource and have enjoyed reading the various posts and learning all about gemstones.

I was on the hunt for a sapphire to set in a ring, and after reading all the information here I found and fell in love with a beautiful sapphire. I'm planning to set the sapphire in a right-hand ring with a halo setting (with very small diamonds) and micropave on the band.

I originally wanted a cushion or round-brilliant cut sapphire, to set in a square (if round-brilliant) or rectangular halo. I was attracted to this setting style as I had seen something similar in the past and thought the shape looked very modern and sleek. But, as it turns out the sapphire I found with the color/flash I fell in love with was an oval shape.

I'm working with a jeweler to set the stone into a ring, and she mentioned that she could create a cushion-look by setting the oval stone in a more cushion-shaped halo. What are your thoughts on this? Has anyone seen this done before with a coloured stone? I've seen it with a diamond but the difference between the diamond and the setting wasn't very pronounced and so it was difficult to tell that the stone was not actually a cushion shape.

My concern with setting an oval stone into a cushion halo is that I might end up with more metal around the stone than is necessary, and detract from the stone itself. I'm also concerned that it would look like I'm trying to fit a round peg into a square hole. Why not just hold out for a cushion if that's what I really want? I also thought it might look more natural, classic and elegant to just follow the natural curve of the oval with an oval halo, and not try and make the oval stone into something it isn't.

On the other hand, I'm worried about an oval sapphire in an oval halo looking too much like Princess Di's engagement ring (even though my stone has very different light characteristics to what that stone seems to have, and I'm looking at using much finer diamonds in the halo). I'm also concerned an oval ring is not as contemporary or modern as the more square/rectangular look.

Thoughts/feedback very welcome please!!

For reference, the ring will be a size 5 and the sapphire is around 4 carats (I can't recall the exact size of the face of the stone at the moment but from memory it's something around 9mm x 7mm).

Thank you PSers!!

shaggy1

Shiny_Rock
Re: Advice on setting for a ring with an oval sapphire pleas

Are you committed to a traditional halo?

How about something like this?

038816bac9257935dd137675df06e5f2.jpg

6c042df50120501e1462f0d93107bdec.jpg

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock

I'm currently trying to decide how to reset my 4.88 ct oval sapphire with a halo, so when you find the perfect setting, please let me know. Mine needs a setting that protects it but lets light into the gallery. Just when I think I've decided what I like, something else comes along that changes my mind (First World problems). Here are some inspiration pictures I've collected in the process.

tanzyring2.jpg
img_3391_0.jpg
caysievanbieberetsy.jpg
ovalwithhalo1.jpg
rpo640_1_grande_0.jpg

ordinaryrainbow

Shiny_Rock

indigoblue|1473190798|4073794 said:
I'm currently trying to decide how to reset my 4.88 ct oval sapphire with a halo, so when you find the perfect setting, please let me know. Mine needs a setting that protects it but lets light into the gallery. Just when I think I've decided what I like, something else comes along that changes my mind (First World problems). Here are some inspiration pictures I've collected in the process.

tanzyring2.jpg
img_3391_0.jpg
caysievanbieberetsy.jpg
ovalwithhalo1.jpg
rpo640_1_grande_0.jpg

Hi indigoblue. I think your ring is gorgeous! I imagine if I go with a halo oval it will look something like yours. Can you let me know why you're thinking of re-setting? Is there anything about the setting that bothered you?

I did see a halo setting in my travels that was very open at the bottom, and looked like it would let lots of light in. I'll see if I can find a link or picture to show you.

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock

My sapphire is currently unset. Those are just pictures I've collected while trying to decide what to do with it. The first picture is a tanzanite that belongs to someone here on PS.

Here's my sapphire in the old setting. It stuck up too high and was getting some damage.
ring01.jpg
ring05.jpg

ordinaryrainbow

Shiny_Rock

indigoblue|1473190798|4073794 said:

tanzyring2.jpg
img_3391_0.jpg
caysievanbieberetsy.jpg
ovalwithhalo1.jpg
rpo640_1_grande_0.jpg

Hi indigoblue. Here is a URL to the halo-setting I found that looks like it would allow a lot of light into the stone.

http://www.greenwichjewelers.com/engagement-wedding/engagement-rings/ring-settings/danhov-cushion-cut-per-lei-engagement-ring-setting.html

Seems to be on the expensive side, but looks like it would let lots of light into the stone. I"m not sure how well the stone would be protected by the setting, however (maybe other PS'ers can comment on that).

ordinaryrainbow

Shiny_Rock

indigoblue|1473196281|4073826 said:
My sapphire is currently unset. Those are just pictures I've collected while trying to decide what to do with it. The first picture is a tanzanite that belongs to someone here on PS.

Here's my sapphire in the old setting. It stuck up too high and was getting some damage.
ring01.jpg
ring05.jpg

Oh, I see. Looks like a gorgeous stone you have there. I'll keep you updated on what I decide about the setting, and am interested to see what you so with your lovely sapphire!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results