shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on round diamond

sporty

Rough_Rock
I am about to buy this diamond for my engagement ring:

2.40 I SI2 with an excellent cut, a table of 61.0, very good polish and excellent symmetry, no fl. It measures 8.61x8.59x5.29

I am not so educated in diamonds - do the dimensions sound like I am getting the most of the carat size? I know diamonds can have big tables or small tables and that impacts how large the diamond looks regardless of carat size.....
I saw the diamond and it was very sparkly. I didn't want to go below H color but the I was not any different than the H colors I saw - I do not see a tint in it at all.
It's the si2 that worries me. The inclusions are a cloud. How bad are clouds? There were no black spots though. I was told it is a good si2.

Please advise me if it sounds like a good diamond. Thanks so much.

sporty

Rough_Rock
Thank you. Where do I find the crown, pavillion and cutlet information?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
clouds can sometimes impact brilliance, so maybe get that checked out with an independent appraiser?

could be a nice 60/60 type, check out angles on HCA. I don't think a bigger table necessarily correlates with looking larger. You can find the depth, table, and culet on the GIA report (or you can look it up online with the report number and exact carat weight...just google GIA report check)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is the diameter measurement you look at to determine face-up size, not the table. Ideal table size is around 54-57%. I'd be cautious about buying before you check a little more on the cut. Try to post the GIA report if you can.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
As long as the diamonds are equally well cut, the diameter is a better gauge of visual size. But a less well cut diamond can look smaller, even with a similar diameter.

sporty

Rough_Rock
I found a print-out of the GIA report the jeweler gave me

the cut grade says excellent
polish - very good
symmetry - excellent

where they have those percentages it says medium - slightly thick faceted 4.0%

Since an average table is in the 50's and mine is 61, is that bad? What does that mean?

Thanks so much...

sporty

Rough_Rock
I couldnt get the HCA because it says the depth is too thick.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Post the GIA report number and the carat weight on the report.

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
If you posted your budget I am sure we could help you find a better stone :appl:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

sporty

Rough_Rock
yes thats the stone and the gia report ---- not good?

sporty

Rough_Rock
from hca:

Factor Grade
Light Return Fair
Fire Poor
Scintillation Poor
Spread
or diameter for weight Very Good

slg47

Ideal_Rock
yeah, that one doesn't look so great...on HCA you generally want to see a diamond that scores between 0 and 2.5.

HCA results
Light Return-Fair
Fire-Poor
Scintillation-Poor
Spread-Very Good
Total Visual Performance 6.3 - Fair

sporty

Rough_Rock
Thank you all so much.

Is there a place like HCA where I can research a radiant out of curiosity?

The GIA number is: 16329689

slg47

Ideal_Rock
no...there is no HCA for radiants/princesses/etc. You can use the AGA cut class tool, but the best is to get images and ASET images.

ETA Radiants can have a variety of appearances so I would strongly recommend images.

sporty

Rough_Rock
Ok sorry to come back. I am going to look at the stone I asked about next week as well as other stones so I was wondering if anyone here can educate me why the stone I originally looked at is not good :)
Thanks!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results